Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Aftermarket Headilght HIDs... really confused

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Headilght HIDs... really confused within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by vonskee-z28 the pic you wanted a LONG LONG time ago.... idk why for some reason my camera ...

  1. #21
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by vonskee-z28 View Post
    the pic you wanted a LONG LONG time ago....

    idk why for some reason my camera makes it seem like my fogs are green.. but they are not... this is the 5k kit i got from ddmtuning.com the headlights are 55w and the fogs are 35w.. as you could tell 1 of my fogs are dead... i f'd up the bulb... and also this is from a hill... if the road was level the hids would cover wayyy more lighting for the road... sorry for being almost a f*cking month late bro. lol
    dont worry about it, everyone is busy


    thanks for the pics! i cant wait for mine

  2. #22
    Member totalkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Age
    30
    Posts
    389

    Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

    But to further answer your question, the back on the h3 bulbs is just like the stock bulb that came in the housings.

    Im running very similar. Im using those housings, 880 fog kit in 8000, h3 lowbeams in 8000, silverstar ultra highbeams(which are bright as SHIT in those housings, its insane).

    Again, let me know if you need any help, i remember figuring it all out last year. Once you have all the parts in front of you its cut and dry.

  3. #23
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    But to further answer your question, the back on the h3 bulbs is just like the stock bulb that came in the housings.

    Im running very similar. Im using those housings, 880 fog kit in 8000, h3 lowbeams in 8000, silverstar ultra highbeams(which are bright as SHIT in those housings, its insane).

    Again, let me know if you need any help, i remember figuring it all out last year. Once you have all the parts in front of you its cut and dry.
    yeah thanks for your help. it really helps knowing someone who already did this with the same housing...


    btw, with my foglights, it went smooth for the most part. only hold up was they wouldnt "lock in" to the foglight housing, so i tried putting the old gasket on the HID and it fit.. the new gasket seemed to be barely too large for it to slide in correctly.

    i only really had to open the access pannel for the drivers side fog light just to see what i was doing. once i did that side, i did the passenger side fog light just from feeling around down thru the engine bay..

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    260
    02 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    yeah thanks for your help. it really helps knowing someone who already did this with the same housing...


    btw, with my foglights, it went smooth for the most part. only hold up was they wouldnt "lock in" to the foglight housing, so i tried putting the old gasket on the HID and it fit.. the new gasket seemed to be barely too large for it to slide in correctly.

    i only really had to open the access pannel for the drivers side fog light just to see what i was doing. once i did that side, i did the passenger side fog light just from feeling around down thru the engine bay..

    bro its alot easier if you take your headlights off... thats how i did mine.. hooked up the fogs, heads....

  5. #25
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    well i put them in today... kinda getting tight behind the bumper with 3 ballasts (headlight CCFL, Foglight HID, low beam HID) on each side...

    only setback was figuring out the wiring.. idk if i did it the best way, but i didnt use the one extra harness it comes with. i just took the stock harness and plugged it into the ballast, it seemed to fit.

    tried them, nothing worked.. switched ballasts, lightbulbs.. nothing worked... looked at the harness i ended up not using. and i saw it might need the black switched onto the other terminal so i flipped the stock harness plug where it goes into the ballast and that worked. i dont know how you guys did it, but that has worked for me and was easy.. there was no little peg for it to hold the stock harness into the socket because it was on backwards, so i electrical taped it.

    only catch is, for some reason only 1 lowbeam HID is coming on sometimes... and yes the engine is running, it should have enough electrical juice going to it. i only start 2 HIDS @ a time because i know they draw alot initially. whenever i turn on the foglight switch (turns on both the halos and the foglight HIDS), both foglight HIDs always have come on together... so idk

    looks great! here are some pics (idk why the foglights are bluer, all the bulbs should have been 5000K)




    Last edited by mammoth713; 07-24-2010 at 11:45 PM.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    260
    02 Z28

    congrats... mine took me about 15-20 mins and all of em was on no problem except my fog light bulb that i dropped and stepped on. whack.... pics dont work btw.

  7. #27
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    633

    Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

    The headlights look like they are 4300K compared to the fogs which you say are 5000K. I recommend you get a relay harness that aloows the HIDs to get power from the battery. That usually solves most issues with HIDs. And yes the connections on the camaro have to be flipped when using HIDs. Its a GM thing.

  8. #28
    Likes twisty roads bene's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England but from TX
    Posts
    803

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

    Your projector should look something close to this...


  9. #29
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    633

    Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by bene View Post
    Your projector should look something close to this...

    Click for full size
    The sonars, which you have do. The eagle eyes like the one's he has do not have the cut off like in your photo. Different style projector.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

  10. #30
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    HIDs work great with the exception of them not both coming on initially which is driving me nuts...


    i have to turn on the high beams to turn off the low beams, and then turn the low beams back on.

    then both low beams HIDS turn on

    so theres really no easy fix for this?



    i use the same exact ballasts but with different bulbs in the foglights and they have never acted like that..

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cheswick, PA
    Posts
    149

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

    where did you get those headlights from

  12. #32
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    633

    Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    HIDs work great with the exception of them not both coming on initially which is driving me nuts...


    i have to turn on the high beams to turn off the low beams, and then turn the low beams back on.

    then both low beams HIDS turn on

    so theres really no easy fix for this?



    i use the same exact ballasts but with different bulbs in the foglights and they have never acted like that..
    You might want to look into getting a relay harness. It's possible that the factory wiring does not have enough juice to power on the ballasts.

  13. #33
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Camaro98Z/28 View Post
    where did you get those headlights from
    ebay... use search and find my old post about them. has lots of pics and descriptions about them

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz
    You might want to look into getting a relay harness. It's possible that the factory wiring does not have enough juice to power on the ballasts.

    i really didnt want to get involved in anything more wiring like that... anyone use these H3 bulbs/ballasts and Have this issue also?

  14. #34
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    633

    Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    i really didnt want to get involved in anything more wiring like that... anyone use these H3 bulbs/ballasts and Have this issue also?
    A relay hardness is easy to hook up. All you need is a power and ground connection to the battery or to the relay fuse box under the hood.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    260
    02 Z28

    idk why you're having problems with your lighting man... if it was from ddmtuning it should be good.. your low beams doesnt seem to be 5k as you say... they look like 3-4k.....

  16. #36
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by vonskee-z28 View Post
    idk why you're having problems with your lighting man... if it was from ddmtuning it should be good.. your low beams doesnt seem to be 5k as you say... they look like 3-4k.....
    yeah i'm really confused... i ordered 5k for both...

    do you think theres something defective with my ballasts for the low beams because they both dont come on?

    i've heard this happen with HIDs but i find it odd my foglights dont have this similar problem, and they're from the same place...

  17. #37
    Junior Member Armani Camaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    86

    Black
    1999,Camaro z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    so i bought my HIDs and put them in the foglights... they look great!

    now i need them in the headlights... but i took a look at the headlights and it doesnt look like i can?

    its hard to explain but theres 2 wires running off into the headlight assembly after going from the bulb..

    maybe someone with the same headlights as me can chime in on their HID setup..
    best picture i could get of the back of it...

    Click for full size
    (old picture)

    hi boss its sooo easy to instal hid kit you have h1 bulbs and there is an extra conection that you dont need to use and you may have a hard time to fit that bulb in side the headlight bbut you will fit it you just need to find the rightposision and dont worry about that wire that .
    you have one conection from you car that you have to push in the balast then from the balast you have to conect the two other conection to the bulb all extrasz isolate if the bulb dont want to start that means that you have to switch the conector from the car to the balast becouse you put upside down its posible .
    thats about HID kit if you want to put a regular bulb that two wires is grount and hot cable in hid kit you dont have to worry about grant
    Click for full size
    good luck man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Got some hids
    By 173rdbrandon in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 05:03 PM
  2. FS: 6k HIDs
    By uLs1a in forum Western Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
  3. Help: TA With HIDS
    By Yellow_Bird in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM
  4. HIDs and Fog lights
    By Rowen in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 05:18 AM
  5. HIDs!!!
    By Rowen in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 06:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •