Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Aftermarket Headilght HIDs... really confused

so i bought my HIDs and put them in the foglights... they look great!

now i need them in the headlights... but i took a look at the headlights and it doesnt look like i can?

its hard to explain but theres 2 wires running off into the headlight assembly after going from the bulb..

maybe someone with the same headlights as me can chime in on their HID setup..
    best picture i could get of the back of it...

(old picture)

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    so i bought my HIDs and put them in the foglights... they look great!

now i need them in the headlights... but i took a look at the headlights and it doesnt look like i can?

its hard to explain but theres 2 wires running off into the headlight assembly after going from the bulb..

maybe someone with the same headlights as me can chime in on their HID setup..
    best picture i could get of the back of it...

Click for full size
    (old picture)
    Click for full size
    You have aftermarket projector headlights. You need a kit with a H1 style bulb.
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    You have aftermarket projector headlights. You need a kit with a H1 style bulb.
    yeah i know they're projector headlights... the problem is theres these 2 wires that seem to be spliced off the incoming power going to the bulb.. its really weird... i guess i need a better picture

in other words, theres the 2 wires coming into the housing that go to the bulb, but then they split off and go into the headlight to something else (i have no idea why because when the low beams are on, nothing else is on: not the LEDs or the CCFLs)

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

yeah i know they're projector headlights... the problem is theres these 2 wires that seem to be spliced off the incoming power going to the bulb.. its really weird... i guess i need a better picture

in other words, theres the 2 wires coming into the housing that go to the bulb, but then they split off and go into the headlight to something else (i have no idea why because when the low beams are on, nothing else is on: not the LEDs or the CCFLs)
    I think it's the halos I don't have mine hooked up and just tucked the wire up underneath

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

so this style headlight uses H1 HID bulbs for sure?

i'll post a better pic of the wires i'm talking about tomorrow hopefully

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

so this style headlight uses H1 HID bulbs for sure?

i'll post a better pic of the wires i'm talking about tomorrow hopefully
    I don't know exactly which ones you have. The ones that I have, basically have the same hookups as the stock head lights. With the exception of the added halo wires.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

so if bought halos...id have to modify my wiring?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    so if bought halos...id have to modify my wiring?
    It depends on which ones you have. Mine have one halo in the middle. But, the halos have to be hooked up somewhere.

I didn't hook mine up. But, I'm sure there is someone here who has hooked them up that could tell you how and the best place to do it.
    Last edited by KahanaReef; 07-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    It depends on which ones you have. Mine have one halo in the middle. But, the halos have to be hooked up somewhere.

I didn't hook mine up. But, I'm sure there is someone here who has hooked them up that could tell you how and the best place to do it.
    I don't have mine hooked up either, but the best place would probably be to the fog light switch or running lamps that way they come on with your lights.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I don't have mine hooked up either, but the best place would probably be to the fog light switch or running lamps that way they come on with your lights.
    That's what I've heard too. I don't care if mine are hooked up or not either.

Red
    2002 Z28

I have mine hooked up to my parking lights. But I also have my DRL's turned off so that I can manually turn my halo's on. I am thinking about getting the same style lights though at the OP because I like that style more.

02 Z28

i got mine spliced onto my fogs.. when you lock the car the fogs and halos light up at night... to the op, i dont understand the pic.. ill wait till you post your new pic and see if i can help...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Not sure the bulb that is in the aftermarket lights but just get the number off the buld and order that kit.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

I could not get a really good picture so heres the best i can do.

On the back of the bulb it reads:
    *H3
    *12V
    *55W
    *DELA
    *E8 366

It looks like a really small wedge or pin-base halogen.. The socket the bulb goes into is square shaped (shown in diagram) and theres a retaining clip on the back of the housing that clamps down the bulb in place. Its really odd. The black wire (ground?) goes to the retaining clips and serves the purpose of holding the bulb in place and connecting the ground. The white (hot?) is connected straight to the back of the bulbs..

What i'm guessing.. is that i should buy the H3 HID kit and i will somehow have to reuse the Cylindrical Rubber covers again and all the wiring will be from the HIDs only...

I dont realy know what will hold the HID tho because theres this retaining clamp that looks like its only made to hold the stock bulb..

If someone actually has these exact headlights w/ HIDs and could chime in, i'd appreciate it.

Here is the large cylindrical rubber around the back of the low beam housing with 1 Black and 1 White wire going into it (not my pic, i just added red circles):

Here is a diagram of how it is wired:

Heres some other Pics:

Last edited by mammoth713; 07-19-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Totally different set up than mine. Sorry, but I've got no clue. I thought you were having an issue with extra wires you didn't know what to do with

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ya just order a HID kit with H3 bulbs there fairly common bulb. I have H7 in the conversion for my TA low beams. Once you see the kit it will come with any adapters or extra wires needed. My bi xenon kitfor my 5.0 came with a relay and other parts and pluggged into only one socket and used the relay to change high and low beams. Not that there is a huge difference just so it looks different and work forn the inspection.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I had those lights at one point. They use an H3 bulb. Just pull the wires and bulbs off and then install the H3 HID bulbs. The little bracket holding the halogen bulb wll hold the HID bulb. I recommend you cut a hole in the back of the rubber boot to have the HID wires come out through the back.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I had those lights at one point. They use an H3 bulb. Just pull the wires and bulbs off and then install the H3 HID bulbs. The little bracket holding the halogen bulb wll hold the HID bulb. I recommend you cut a hole in the back of the rubber boot to have the HID wires come out through the back.
    ^this

I have H3 setup in mine, hole cut in the boot for the wires, and the wires coming off the h3 bulb, into the ballast, into the stock headlight plug

I used 35w and not 55w

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

thanks for the help.. the HID kit is ordered..

H3 5000k 35w

should be in early next week... we'll see how it goes.. i will post pictures if i get time

02 Z28

the pic you wanted a LONG LONG time ago....

idk why for some reason my camera makes it seem like my fogs are green.. but they are not... this is the 5k kit i got from ddmtuning.com the headlights are 55w and the fogs are 35w.. as you could tell 1 of my fogs are dead... i f'd up the bulb... and also this is from a hill... if the road was level the hids would cover wayyy more lighting for the road... sorry for being almost a f*cking month late bro. lol

Thread Information