after market oil pressure gauge

This is a discussion on after market oil pressure gauge within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I got a auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge and i am going to drill and tap the port above ...

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

after market oil pressure gauge

I got a auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge and i am going to drill and tap the port above the oil filter, but it is only about an inch from the cat, so should i use the copper line instead of the teflon that came with the gauge because it will be so close to the cat? Has anyone hooked up a mechanical gauge using that port, and which type of line did you use? thanks

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I'm not sure if this thread may help........

Help, where to mount oil pressure sending unit?

Quote Originally Posted by deere140 View Post
    I got a auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge and i am going to drill and tap the port above the oil filter, but it is only about an inch from the cat, so should i use the copper line instead of the teflon that came with the gauge because it will be so close to the cat? Has anyone hooked up a mechanical gauge using that port, and which type of line did you use? thanks
    Yes I've done this. Don't use the cheap plastic line,,,use a copper line at a minimum.
    Honestly I prefer the steel braided line kit (-4 I believe) comes with the proper 1/8" pipe thread and 37 degree AN flare so the braided steel line screws right on. They are bullet proof, heat doesn't affect them, and they'll last a lifetime. You can buy them in a kit in different lengths (4-6-8 feet). Or if you are so inclined you can make your own to the length you want.

The copper lines, (although I've never had this happen) have been know to crack over time due to vibrations. Last thing you want is a fire.

I might have a pic of what I'm talking about, I use the same setup for my fuel pressure gauges too.

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

Yes, I think I will look for the steel braided instead, it is only about an inch away from the cat. thanks guys

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes I've done this. Don't use the cheap plastic line,,,use a copper line at a minimum.
    Honestly I prefer the steel braided line kit (-4 I believe) comes with the proper 1/8" pipe thread and 37 degree AN flare so the braided steel line screws right on. They are bullet proof, heat doesn't affect them, and they'll last a lifetime. You can buy them in a kit in different lengths (4-6-8 feet). Or if you are so inclined you can make your own to the length you want.

The copper lines, (although I've never had this happen) have been know to crack over time due to vibrations. Last thing you want is a fire.
    QFT!

I've had a plastic oil line that I improperly routed melt and catch fire. Thankfully it happened outside the shop and I had a hose nearby. This happened to my 67...

I also had a PS steering hose melt and catch fire. Luckily I had a halon fire extinguisher in the car. This happened to a 66 Charger I had...

If it's oil based and hot enough it'll catch fire....

navy blue
    1998 camaro z28

I got the copper for now i will put it on and check the pressure then order the stainless on the computer, next time i am off i will change it out. thanks

Thread Information