Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

a4 versus m6

This is a discussion on a4 versus m6 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by nhraformula Lol, you said it not me. Now considering i owned a 02 M6 C5, what i ...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Lol, you said it not me.

Now considering i owned a 02 M6 C5, what i dont understand is when guys say its more fun to shift, how so? What makes it so much fun?
    Like riding a bicycle without training wheels
    Just gets you more involved in the driving aspects of it all
    Plus sliding all over the road just isn't as fun in an auto

my .02

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    but its more fun trying to beat a computer with your skill... or atleast thats how i look at it instead of just putting your foot to the floor and winning, whats the fun in that?
    Typical M6 driver

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i get bored driving an auto.. thats just my opinion tho

and i think someone mentioned autos can be more costly to fix/build.. but then again thats subjective on the situation and whatnot so i'm not sure

if you live where theres a lot of stop n go traffic and such i would maybe prefer an auto tho..

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    i get bored driving an auto.. thats just my opinion tho

and i think someone mentioned autos can be more costly to fix/build.. but then again thats subjective on the situation and whatnot so i'm not sure

if you live where theres a lot of stop n go traffic and such i would maybe prefer an auto tho..
    Personally i prefer slammin through gears, but you gotta look at the upsides and downsides to both

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

a4 here.....too old for a m6 lol

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    a4 here.....too old for a m6 lol
    Never too old in an LS1
    You are driving a Camaro remember

Unless you confused your mercury marquis for a camaro which in that case your poor internet abilities somehow wandered you off in the wrong forum

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

too lazy to change gears all the time lol

2002 CETA m6

I will say the m6 sucks in traffic, but ripping through gears in WOT is a fantastic feeling, almost race car like.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I have an M6 with t-tops as well.. i love t-tops and so do the girls.. i think verts look good but only whith the top down..

as for the trans.. like i said i have an m6 i used to have an auto camaro and i realized i wanted a manual trans when i drove my friends civic (5-speed single cam) SLOW as shit.. but it when i got back in my camaro it was so boring.. even tho it was faster lol

just my .02 but again ive never drivin on a track so i dont even know what thats like..

but to show off/ cruise/ street race here and there.. id say m6

but like everyone is saying get what YOU WANT obviously.

white
    01 Z-28

very good oppinions... thanks everyone... what are some fuel mileages on the
    a4's and the m6's mine only got about 14 on a good day... my brother has an 02 vet that gets 30.. is there any comparison... would like a vet but have 3 kids so i can pawn 1 of them off on grandma and not all 3...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by niterunnr View Post
    a4's and the m6's mine only got about 14 on a good day... my brother has an 02 vet that gets 30.. is there any comparison... would like a vet but have 3 kids so i can pawn 1 of them off on grandma and not all 3...
    i know the m6 is like 26 highway and 17 city.. but many claim they get more. i myself have never tested it..

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i got an average of 20 mpg mixed highway and street...

i recall even the tank that i raced with up at a local dragstrip (i raced quite a long time there that night) and that tank i still averaged 17 mpg?

so, it matters how you drive, the terrain you are driving (obviously a lot of hills will cause bad gas mileage, a lot of stops will be bad, etc), and matters on the exhaust and intake.. i'm a firm believer exhaust and intake mods free up HP and MPG... i can attest i got atleast 1-2 mpg better with the catback exhaust.. and after installing it, of anything i was heavier on the throttle since.. haha

so once i get a better filter and lid in spring i expect to free up more MPG.

i'm not sure if anyone can second this.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by niterunnr View Post
    dream car = 2002 ws6 m6 vert

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Best mileage i got in my 2000 m6 was 28 freeway for a straight 3 hour all freeway drive. Headers, full exhaust, lid and tune were only mods.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

M6 = fun factor
    A4 = consistency

LS1 > LT1

T-tops > All (mho, of course)

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Hardtop > All (mho, of course)
    Have to agree with you there

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    M6 = fun factor
    A4 = consistency

LS1 > LT1

T-tops > All (mho, of course)

Truth!!! To nhraformula who earlier asked, what makes shifting gears so much more fun. You own a c5 m6 vette so if you don't find it more fun then you don't get the feeling. And if you don't get it, you don't get. But many of us do which is why we find the m6 soo much more fun and a need to have with a ls1 car.

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

07 December 2009

I have a 2002 Z28 Camaro with the automatic transmission. When I drove judiciously with the stock 2.73 road gears, SLP high-flow airbox lid, SLP ram air kit, high-flow bellows, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, SLP Ultra-Z hood, and Granatelli mass air sensor installed, I got between 32 and 33 miles-per-gallon on the highway and between 24 - 27 miles-per-gallon around town. Seriously. These cars have extraordinary potential to be very fuel-efficient machines while being a substantial amount of fun.

(However, when I upgraded my rear gears to 3.73's, my fuel economy decreased dramatically to around 25 miles-per-gallon on the highway. Back when I had the 3.73's installed, I lived in town and only put about 50 miles per week on the car. Since then, I've moved and now commute about 40 miles per day. In retrospect, I wish that I'd left the 2.73 gears in the car and just gotten a shift kit so that I'd have improved response off the line but with the better fuel economy...)
    Last edited by jason_a_marzewski; 12-07-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by jason_a_marzewski View Post
    07 December 2009

I have a 2002 Z28 Camaro with the automatic transmission. When I drove judiciously with the stock 2.73 road gears, SLP high-flow airbox lid, SLP ram air kit, high-flow bellows, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, SLP Ultra-Z hood, and Granatelli mass air sensor installed, I got between 32 and 33 miles-per-gallon on the highway and between 24 - 27 miles-per-gallon around town. Seriously. These cars have extraordinary potential to be very fuel-efficient machines while being a substantial amount of fun.

(However, when I upgraded my rear gears to 3.73's, my fuel economy decreased dramatically to around 25 miles-per-gallon on the highway. Back when I had the 3.73's installed, I lived in town and only put about 50 miles per week on the car. Since then, I've moved and now commute about 40 miles per day. In retrospect, I wish that I'd left the 2.73 gears in the car and just gotten a shift kit so that I'd have improved response off the line but with the better fuel economy...)

A shift kit does not make up for the gain made by going from 2.73s to 3.73s

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

08 December 2009

You make an excellent point: "A shift kit does not make up for the gain made by going from 2.73s to 3.73s."

And I never said that it does.

I simply stated that, "In retrospect, I wish that I'd left the 2.73 gears in the car and just gotten a shift kit so that I'd have improved response off the line but with the better fuel economy...)."

Off-the-line performance will improve with a shift kit, but it won't match the gain of a full 3.73 rear gear swap. I'd rather have the stellar fuel economy the 2.73 gears help maintain and augment the 2.73's with a shift kit for a little more "thrust" off the line.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information