Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are A4 Camaro Z28 slow?

This is a discussion on Are A4 Camaro Z28 slow? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I think the output here shows the similar thing: M6 faster & faster from roll, fun to drive because you ...

I think the output here shows the similar thing:
    M6 faster & faster from roll, fun to drive because you say when you shift
    A4 better from start, a little bit slower (because there are just 4 gears to shift)

thanks a lot!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

sounds like you got it down buddy

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

No...

I own an 02 Z28 A4 (for sale, by the way). Best 1/4 mile time 13.7 @ 102. My 99 SS 6 speed, best 1/4 mile 13.2 @ 107.

Ok... 0.5 sec and 5 mph difference. If you're going to race much, then that may be a big difference.

Just for daily driver, fun, etc... you will not notice the difference.

I like them both... just bought my GTO with a 6-speed. Tough decision, but 5 years of the auto, I'll go with the 6 speed again for a while.
    Tom 06 GTO
    Spice Red 6 Speed 18" Wheels

Used to Be... Tom 02 Z28 - 6/01 to 8/06
    My 02 Z28 - Sold 8/27/06

Used to Be... Tom 99 SS - Gathering 3 & 4 Days
    My 99 SS - Still on Sal's Website

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what you just said agreed with our imput

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Anyone that thinks an ls1 z28 with an A4 is slow will be subject to a very rude awakening at a stoplight or christmas tree near you!

PS: Please don't make me pull out my saved statement from Scott Settlemire at GM. This is an old debate that should be well understood by now in terms of the different gearbox characteristics.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
    Anyone that thinks an ls1 z28 with an A4 is slow will be subject to a very rude awakening at a stoplight or christmas tree near you!

PS: Please don't make me pull out my saved statement from Scott Settlemire at GM. This is an old debate that should be well understood by now in terms of the different gearbox characteristics.
    Please pull out the saved statement of Scott. What'd he say? Does he agree with me? (That is, the auto is a bit slower, but not enough where anyone without electronic timing equipment can tell the difference). After all, 0.5 seconds is not much at all.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Ok let me get it..hang on..

Ok some of us might be old enough to remember the now defunct slp board...

Well Mr. Settlemire (I hope he doesn't mind if he's reading) was a frequent user on the board..... and this is what he had to say at that time...
    [Quote]

Fbodfather

Fbodfather
    Member # 4500
    posted 01-19-2002 12:22 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK...my 2 cents (I can hear the groans, guys and gals....)
    The automatic is faster in the LS1 Fbodies in straight-line acceleration. Consistently. Trust me. Trust our proving grounds. NOW...with that said, the M6 is faster on a road course.
    My preference? An M6 -- 'cause it is fun to drive...unless, of course, you spend a lot of time in traffic. Back in my New York days, I would order my company cars with automatics, 'cause if I didn't the muscles in my left leg were larger than in my right leg! ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [End Quote]

So it at least will give you one viewpoint from an insider. Not that it really will end the debate, because as we all know.....internet racing can be so much fun!!!!!

But all kidding aside, both trannies have their high points and low points. Manuals are known for putting more power to the wheels and will have better gas mileage, whereas automatics have their advantage with traction and more gear shift consistency.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Really? Scott said that. Not my experience, but he's the man, you know.

I think some of it may have to do with driver experience, perhaps? Consitency of shifting and maximizing horsepower by shifting at exactly the best time is key... and the computer can do it better than most people.

I haven't been on these boards much in the last few years... SLP board gone, huh? What was that kids' name over there? He's have fits about every day trying to keep everyone "in line". (They didn't allow much lattitude over there).

And whatever happened to that MAFBA guy, Ken?... They called the frog or something? He worked for the government, DOT, I think in VA. Typed with a lot of these... ... ...... ........... ..... ..... (I guess that meant he was thinking or taking a chug of beer... ) Is he still around?

And while I'm at it, anyone know what Scott it up to? He was Mr. Camaro at Chevrolet, but with production stopped 5 years now, I'm guessing he's had other projects aside from the concept car.

And Andy... Mr. Gathering. How's he and that whole crew doing. Well, I hope, if anyone knows.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 06 GTO View Post
    I own an 02 Z28 A4 (for sale, by the way). Best 1/4 mile time 13.7 @ 102. My 99 SS 6 speed, best 1/4 mile 13.2 @ 107.
    Forgot one thing... my 99 SS was factory rated a little more hp than the Z28. They bumped the hp numbers in 01 or 02 a little, but the SS had that SLP cat back, and... (here's where I really step in it)**... cold air hood.

If I recall, the 99 SS was factory rated at 325 hp, but I had it dynoed in the 340's. Anyone else remember?

** That's still controversial whether that hood had any effect on hp. I would tend to think at speeds about 70 and higher, it did a little.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 06 GTO View Post
    I haven't been on these boards much in the last few years... SLP board gone, huh? What was that kids' name over there?
    Dave Hamberger. (A good night's sleep turns the trick again)

Quote Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post

OK, we said it's slow. But read exactly and you will find out, that the most people say: In a roll it's slower and damn! A Car with a 5.7 isn't slow! We all know that!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks........but anyone's car is either fast or slow on the net. I'll just take GM's word for it (and some actual slip times).

Ciao!

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

I've got the time slips... my 02 Z28 A4 was 0.5 seconds and 5 mph slower than my 99 SS M6. And I've got a large number of runs on each.

The SS may have benefited some from the SLP mods and the 02 Z28 had the Gen III LS1 (more power before SLP stuff)... and it's only comparing 2 cars with 1 driver. We'd need more data to make a definitive conclusion.

Most of the Orlando Camaro guys at the track had autos with mods and the shift points reprogrammed. They all had had 12 second cars.

But, back to the original question, my answer is get what you like. Both will be soooo close to each other, it will matter little. And you'll be driving it a lot more than just at the track.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

this thread is shot

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Stock for Stock a A4 is usually slower than a M6.

I think A4's are better from a stop, and M6's are better from a roll.

I drag race so I like A4's. And I don't think my A4 is too slow.
    Dude!!! What kind of A4 do you have? Don't tell me thats a 4L60E...right?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Yep 4L60E built by FLP
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information