Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    82blayser

99 SS, Is this a good deal?

Hello everyone, this is my first Post. I have a general Question and need some opinions.

I am shopping for an LS1, I came across a 99 SS, dark blue, hardtop, 6 spd, w/ 130k miles,traction control, cloth interior, and basic everything else. The mods are 18 inch Y2K rims, new tires, long tube headers, 3" flowmaster catback with sims, eibach lowered, drilled and slotted rottors, Subframe connectors, strut tower bar, adjustable rear shocks

He is asking 6500 firm

what do you guys think?
    Last edited by 82blayser; 02-25-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 82blayser View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first Post. I have a general Question and need some opinions.

I am shopping for an LS1, I came across a 99 SS, dark blue, hardtop, 6 spd, w/ 130k miles,traction control, cloth interior, and basic everything else. The mods are 18 inch Y2K rims, new tires, long tube headers, 3" flowmaster catback with sims, eibach lowered, drilled and slotted rottors,

He is asking 6500 firm

what do you guys think?
    see what it list for on www.nada.com and www.kellybluebook.com figure in the mods it has done to it

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

nada and kbb are horrible at estimating our cars' values...

82blayser
    I agree, KBB and NADA are horrible

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Regardless of the book values, if it is in decent shape, sounds like a good price to me. Buy it and ditch the flowmaster, and start modding!

82blayser
    I really like the car, the only flaw that it has is that the passenger side fender is primer black. Needs paint.. I heard that you can order fenders already painted for around 250. Is this so?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Me personally, I would look for something a little less used. How can you be firm in a price if it has over 130k miles and there is clearly damage on the vehicle. Don't let this guy push you around. I've known many people who sold their cars with a lot less than 130k miles and in near mint condition for under $10 grand. IMO, I would keep looking, you never know what jewel you will uncover!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

$6,500 isn't bad and he's likely trying to recover the cost of some of the mods. Unfortunately (for him), mod are typically good for only pennies on the dollar when it's time to sell. Given that the car needs body work and the high mileage, I would try to work him down just below $6K. As far as the Flowmaster goes, if you like the sound and simply want a little more performance, throw in an electric cutout and then you can go back and forth as needed. With LT headers, an open cutout sounds flat nasty!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

fyi, my car (silver 2000 ss) was in perfect condition with 95k miles... it was priced at $8k, so i think u can definitely find a better deal than that

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I wouldn't buy that car unless I had it inspected inside and out by a reliable mechanic. A primered fender tells me it's been in a scuffle.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

82blayser
    What would you look for in a high mileage LS1 6spd. I read that these engines can take a great amount of abuse. The car probably doesn't make more than 340rwhp. Tires have tons of meat on them and he has after market calipers and slotted rotors to where when I stopped it did it no problem. No sign of leaking anywhere and it runs awsome. The only real issue that I have is getting the fender painted to match the rest of the color, how well does that dark blue blend? shouldn't be too hard since it is a dark color. Kind of hard to come across an SS with mods for so cheap.

Come on guys talk me out of it.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    nada and kbb are horrible at estimating our cars' values...
    great guide for me when I bought my SS, when I wrecked my other camaro they were right on what my car was worth

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

i agree with some of the fellas here...a modded LS1 with 130k miles has been abused and specially after seeing the fender has been replaced i wouldn't touch it...my 2000 Z had 96k on the clock when i picked it up but it was owned by a couple and absolutely bone stock...i would look for something more like that just for peace of mind...but hey thats just me

82blayser
    You guys make a valid point.. Just got done checking out autotrader and there are a few z28's on there with less than 100k for same amount,6500. But I would love to own an SS. Maybe if I can talk him down to under 6k then we could do business.

82blayser
    ok, I got the guy to sell it for 6K, The accident with the fender happened when someone backed into it and scraped it. It wasn't from road racing. other than the fender the body doesn't have a ding anywhere.

What do you guys think, 6K for a modded SS 1999 # 2204 "verified by calling SLP this morning"

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 82blayser View Post
    ok, I got the guy to sell it for 6K, The accident with the fender happened when someone backed into it and scraped it. It wasn't from road racing. other than the fender the body doesn't have a ding anywhere.

What do you guys think, 6K for a modded SS 1999 # 2204 "verified by calling SLP this morning"
    Good price, but have a mechanic check it out...............how long you been looking ? it pays to shop around

82blayser
    I am buying it from a mechanic And....I found a 67 pontiac firebird in near mint condition for 4.5k it has the straight six single barrel carb setup... but its super clean...

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

i'd take the firebird in a hearbeat!!

twin turbo LSx project would be sweet!!!

82blayser
    I am working on getting the firebird. Hopefully everything follows through

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Nice...don't forget to post pics!!!!

Thread Information