Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

98 SS Indy Pace car???

This is a discussion on 98 SS Indy Pace car??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am It was a 98 SS that was all black with Pace car decals on ...

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    It was a 98 SS that was all black with Pace car decals on the side. They had a sign in the window saying it was a pace car. I always thought they were all white or partially white. I'm pretty sure someone just put the decals on it.
    thats what they did, it didnt leave the factory like that!

CAMARO. TRANS AM.
    TWO CARS, ONE MISSION............
    D O M I N A N C E !

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

There were several different brickyard "festival" cars varying in color by years. I know there was a red a silver and the whites and all were verts no matter the year but all were the same color for that year.

2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    hitch on a camaro? thats awesome cuz i am goin across the country to pick up an engine, and we're drivin a 4th gen camaro and i was wonderin how to install a hitch. any info on this?
    I got the hitch from JC Whitney, it's a Hidden Hitch low profile model. To install it properly you do need to drill 2 extra holes in the frame rail so the hitch is bolted on with 6 bolts total. There is not problem towing small boats/trailers with an F-body. The Pace Car was my only vehicle at the time so it's all I had to tow with. The Exploder was my roommate's vehicle. The 93 Pace Car had 28,000 miles on it when I got it so it wasn't as collectible as the ones that have less than 5 miles and all the plastic still on them. It was a fun car to drive to work and take to car shows. It wasn't very good in the snow, especially with the supercharger.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
    I got the hitch from JC Whitney, it's a Hidden Hitch low profile model. To install it properly you do need to drill 2 extra holes in the frame rail so the hitch is bolted on with 6 bolts total. There is not problem towing small boats/trailers with an F-body. The Pace Car was my only vehicle at the time so it's all I had to tow with. The Exploder was my roommate's vehicle. The 93 Pace Car had 28,000 miles on it when I got it so it wasn't as collectible as the ones that have less than 5 miles and all the plastic still on them. It was a fun car to drive to work and take to car shows. It wasn't very good in the snow, especially with the supercharger.
    And I thought only us mechanics called them "Exploder" LOL.
    I had a hitch on my '98, pulling a 1600lb pop up trailer. My wife's dad was following us one time and he said you couldn't see the TA usually! Looked like the trailer was driving itself! Got 20 MPG pulling. The hitch was hidden also, sounds like the one you are describing.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

ok finally got the pic uploaded---this car was at a local car show, i personly thought it was ugly, but its prolly valuble

heres also a lt4 camaro

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Is that regular household insulation laying under the hood of that last pic? looks like some is jammed in behind the headlights too in the radiator support. What's that purpose of it?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

the first one is pretty ugly. def. worth alot of money but ew.

white
    98 ss

I also own one of those cars to, mine still has all of stickers but instead of brickyard it has bristol decals on it. All of the papers that came with car say that it is a brickyard car though. Do u no anything about that?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPar View Post
    I found this post while doing a search on google. Because I own one of the cars I think your referring to, maybe I can give help answer the question.

To be correct, the 1998 Brickyard 400 Pace Car was actually a Monte Carlo. The triple white Camaro SS convertibles were Festival Cars used during the driver introductions on raceday, however, most people call these Camaros pace cars.

Click for full size

There were 50 Camaro SS converts used in 1998 and they were all identically equipped (the first year Camaros used the LS1). In addition to the SS's, 9 triple white Z28 convertibles were also decaled and used by track officials and others. Sadly, most of theses cars have their graphics removed after by dealers or owners.

Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner when you looking at the car.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    my friend has a hitch on his lt1 cmaro... his is from uhaul... havent yall seen the famous race video where a camaro is towing a grill on a trailer... and beats a mustang badly
    you got a link or what?

Silver an a White one
    10th Anv/30th Anv TA's

Bristol CARS

Quote Originally Posted by bristolSS View Post
    I also own one of those cars to, mine still has all of stickers but instead of brickyard it has bristol decals on it. All of the papers that came with car say that it is a brickyard car though. Do u no anything about that?

Hi in reading your post...youi have a rare 2 Racetrack car there....it was used
    for both the Brickyard 400 @ INDY and then @ Bristol....BTW I own a 2000
    Brickyard SS

Thanks
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I live in Indy and I remember those cars being white, with orange stripes and convertibles. It seems like they were all AT also.
    I live in Indy too, and I've seen quite a few Brickyard Camaros But I'm pretty sure the Indy pacecar has been the Corvette for like the last 5 years or something like that the last year the Camaro was the Indy 500 pace car was 93

http://www.indypacecars.com/the90s.html
    Last edited by blackmetal; 01-03-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information