White
    96 firebird vert

98 Camaro v6 Cold Air Induction Combo questions???

I got a v6, looking to change out the air intake system... looking to get the k&n cold air intake (the ones the go to the original box area), slp ram air kit, and an whisper induction lid.... just wondering if the lid will be cover the k&n cold air intake and if i will have anything go wrong with the ram air set up or anything.. i found some really good deals on these parts and just wanted to make sure the setup will all work and everything will bolt up pretty easily... I can do some custom mods if i have to but prefer all bolt on stuff and just thought i'de ask... thanks alot ide appreciate all the info you may have

I know v8s are better, but college student and i love camaros/firebirds, so had to get wut i could afford!!

Thanks

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I guess I'm a little confused as to what the difference is between the K&N CAI kit and the "Ram-Air" kit by SLP? I'd probably just go with a K&N CAI kit and call it a day? I mean, it's just a V6 and you are getting this for few more MPGs, correct?

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

White
    96 firebird vert

re re

By the SLP ram air i mean the the air vent/box kit that does under the intake that air comes up through the bottom by the radiator.... I figured with lots of air coming from that straight into CAI with a lid it would cause great amounts of cold air to get into there compared to the stock... mostly for mpg, but do wanna try to boost hp as well, i figured this combo sounded like it could have some great potential to cause a big difference if the CAI is closed off by a lid and there is mass amounts of air coming up through the box/vent

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Your best bet is the SLP cold air induction.(the "ram air" effect you are referring to) The kit is relatively unexpensive, comes with the rectangular induction tunnel and the "gasket" tubing. Don't worry about getting the SLP lid yet, once you've put headers and exhaust and done work on the heads etc then maybe but right nowit's not worth it. My roommate has an 02 firebird, I put it on her car, little more throttle response, few extra MPG.... If you wanna go with a K&N filter with the SLP induction tunnel that's cool (what I did on the firebird) but you can't do a K&N cold air intake AND an SLP cold air induction kit.....unless you have two cars..
    Last edited by ZCam95; 05-24-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: clarifying "ram air"

White
    96 firebird vert

re re re

So i essentially can either go with the SLP induction package, which i could get the tunnel, k&n filter, and possibly a whisper lid to go with it, or i could simply just go with the k&n cold air intake?? I do plan on, in the near future when i get the money, to do headers and exhaust as well. Which option would be the best in terms of cost, HP, MPG and everthing... I do want to get the best induction HP wise, but wanna make sure its worth spending some extra money... I found a k&n cold air intake for $176 (it was used for a month by someone and they sold the car and trying to just get rid of it), or i could go with the induction package with lid which costs about 120 for induction tunnel and 140 for the lid, so overall i'de be spending about 100 more... let me know what you guys would recommend in this situation..... also curious as to what exhaust and headers i should go with when i get the funds in a few weeks... right now exhaust is probably between flowmaster thunder 80 and the magnaflow kit (magnaflow is about $50 more)... and headers so far i've olny found pacesetters for the v6... thanks alot i appreciate all the help!!

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

The stock lid will do for now, our firebird still has stock lid and it works just fine. she has pacesetter headers...cheapest i found and still a good product, she has a dynomax catback, not that loud but has a nice little rumble to it. Gotta watch with the v6's cuz they get raspy when you try and throw a big muffler on there that should be used for a v8...sounds like wet frog fart....NOT GOOD....if you're just lookin for noise check out a glass pack muffler but that's not my first choice, if you want flow and performance...check on jegs, or summit, or even performance center...they have some cat-back systems that are pretty affordable.I have a k&n cai kit on my z28 I love it but for your car I would go with the SLP induction tunnel kit....was relatively easy to install and works great. Just shop around..don't get hosed...check all the sites for the best prices and some have free shipping... be prepared to set aside bout an hour and a half to get it in though...lemme know if you need help since i've already installed one.

White
    96 firebird vert

okay... so is there any way i could mod the k&n cold air intake so that i could fit that slp tunnel underneath it somehow? I'm just thinking that if there is an overflow of cold air coming from the bottom and its hitting right on the cold air intake it would be a significant difference compared to the CAI just sipping cold air from around the engine bay... idk just an idea, i also havn't seen in person how the k&n CAI fits in there and what has to be taken out.. i understand that the lid wont work with the CAI but just wonderin if theres a way to mod so the tunnel can be put under it... thanks for all the info tho!!!

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i heard any CAI infront of the radiator isnt worth it in these cars.. V6 or V8..

Have to deal with water going up and into the intake as well as less air cooling the radiator.. Just some stuff to consider

White
    96 firebird vert

re

By that do you mean the air tunnel or actually air intake with filter? I plan on keeping the air intake in the same location, juz wanted to get the SLP air tunnel to put under it... I wasn't aware that water would be able to jump through that whole tunnel and end up in the intake filter ??? The only way i'de see that happening is if you drove a car over a 3 ft puddle of water.. maybe i could be wrong.. but i did not plan on puttin the filter in front of the radiator

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    i heard any CAI infront of the radiator isnt worth it in these cars.. V6 or V8..

Have to deal with water going up and into the intake as well as less air cooling the radiator.. Just some stuff to consider

Take a close look, mine is an open filter with the functional "ram air" SS hood. I don't possibly see how water could be sucked through the filter, into the intake, and escape into the combustion chamber. You've been mis-informed. Either that or my car runs like a beast with a 93 octane/water mix

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Oh and BTW - You do realize that the airdam under your car is the primary source of collecting air to pass through and cool the radiator, right?!

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

I will go home and crawl under her car and take pics of it for you tonight...p.m. me your email address and I will send you the pics so you can see how it works and what it looks like. I haven't had any problems with water getting in there. I drive her car when I decide to take mine apart and not put it back together right away. Even in heavy rains and driving through puddles i've never had a problem. Yes it is possible for excess moisture go get in there but like you said it's not like you're going to be driving through 3ft puddles.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I think the factory SLP take-offs from the WS6/SS LS1 cars sound awesome on the V6 cars. Awesome grunt, yet not loud enough to sound like it's missing 2 cylinders But that's just my opinion

White
    96 firebird vert

thanks alot for all the helpful advice its great!! did have a question about the exhaust systems as well... are the exhaust dimensions and whatnots the same for v8s and v6 except for the headers? just curious cuz if so this may widen my range of possibilities for different exhaust systems

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by augie1209 View Post
    thanks alot for all the helpful advice its great!! did have a question about the exhaust systems as well... are the exhaust dimensions and whatnots the same for v8s and v6 except for the headers? just curious cuz if so this may widen my range of possibilities for different exhaust systems
    Down pipes are different but still go to the passenger side. Mid pipe back routing is the same stock.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-24-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tiresmokindad View Post
    I am also a 3rd year college student. I think I prefer to have V8. For me it is better than camaros.
    huh? You do understand that Camaro comes in v8 models too right?
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-26-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Dude...look at his flag.....this should explain it all...

AND he's from Minnesota...EH?!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ZCam95 View Post
    Dude...look at his flag.....this should explain it all...

AND he's from Minnesota...EH?!
    I've seen the flag, still makes little sense...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tiresmokindad View Post
    Hehe yeah right. I am just kidding. It means camaro models are better than the others, including itself.
    Oh I gotcha/understand..

Thread Information