.8 hours to remove tailights?

This is a discussion on .8 hours to remove tailights? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So I went to the local dealership for a hail repair estimate and I got the quote for the insurance ...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

.8 hours to remove tailights?

So I went to the local dealership for a hail repair estimate and I got the quote for the insurance company.

Part of the labor was - .8 hours to remove the tailights at $48/hour

Should I remove them and set them in the car to save the insurance company some money when I take it in?

It'll take me 2 minutes.

Silver
    2000 z28

i wouldnt do it to save them money id get the check for the repairs then take em out and put the extra money in your pocket

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    So I went to the local dealership for a hail repair estimate and I got the quote for the insurance company.

Part of the labor was - .8 hours to remove the tailights at $48/hour

Should I remove them and set them in the car to save the insurance company some money when I take it in?

It'll take me 2 minutes.
    Regardless of how long it takes, repair times are set in stone through a few different sources. Like the Mitchell labor time guide is to the service aspect of it, bodyshops have their own time guides and that is how they write estimates. It is based on averages. 24 minutes per taillight seems extreme, but if that's what the labor guide says, so be it. Your insurance company is paying it not you.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Silver
    2000 z28

everytime someone hit me the i went and got quotes and sent it in and they mailed a check...real good example my brother got hit in the side by an rv and went to 3 shops for quotes got like a 2500$ quote and mu buddys dad fixed everything for 500

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Regardless of how long it takes, repair times are set in stone through a few different sources. Like the Mitchell labor time guide is to the service aspect of it, bodyshops have their own time guides and that is how they write estimates. It is based on averages. 24 minutes per taillight seems extreme, but if that's what the labor guide says, so be it. Your insurance company is paying it not you.
    Not really. All of us insured through the company have to pay for it. How do you think deductibles and premiums are set up?

Premium prices are set up by the average cost of a repair I'm sure and it's BS like this that raises premiums.

It affects us all. You've got to see the big picture.

Just like when you shop at a retail store and 10% of people steal. They raise the prices to make up for the losses. Someone's gotta pay for it, and it ends up being the legit, honest people.

I think I'll take it there, take 2 minutes to remove them, that'll show em.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 07-11-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Not really. All of us insured through the company have to pay for it. How do you think deductibles and premiums are set up?

Premium prices are set up by the average cost of a repair I'm sure and it's BS like this that raises premiums.

It affects us all. You've got to see the big picture.

Just like when you shop at a retail store and 10% of people steal. They raise the prices to make up for the losses. Someone's gotta pay for it, and it ends up being the legit, honest people.

I think I'll take it there, take 2 minutes to remove them, that'll show em.
    You missed the point, financial aspect of it aside... The insurance company is going to pay either way. The 24 minutes per side does include putting the lights back in. So 12 minutes to take one light out. An insurance adjuster has to approve the estimate anyway, and if the .8 labor is what is in the labor time guide, it will be approved. It's not the bodyshops fault, they are simply going by what their little computer tells them. And if you were a business owner, wouldn't you want to get the most money possible for the job, and be able to pay your techs?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've always hated dealerships I guess. Especially when they skip out early last friday when I had an appt.

Rant over.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I've always hated dealerships I guess. Especially when they skip out early last friday when I had an appt.

Rant over.
    You wouldn't hate mine!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

haha i would charge prolly an hour to r&r both taillights

Silver
    2000 z28

the chevy dealer here sucks @$$ too got somme good lookin women there but none of em have a clue whats oin on everytime i call they tell me hold on i hafta ask someone and this is the service manager usually telllin me this

White
    1998 Trans Am

.8 sounds about right if that is the remove and reinstall price. Otherwise that comnputer program their usuing is set high. Like the other said if you get the check take the lights out yourself and put them in yourself. I do insurance jobs for my friends alot and they will take lights and bumpers off to save money. I'll cut them a deal if they save me time. One guy was hit and it just ripped the bumper and busted some tabes and a headlight so he wanted to save some money so the insureance cute him a check using their estimating software and he bought a bumper and gave me a mirror got his GTO that way I could give the Dupont store the Paint code and have the mirror to make sure it's the right variation. Then I painted the bumper w/sanded and buffed it. He came and got it and put the new light and bumper on himself. Fine with me I made easy money just doing the prep and paint work and he saved some by doing labor himself.

Thread Information