Black
    2000 Z28 M6

60k mile keep up

ok so my car is in storage and i'm planning everything ahead for when i get it out.. i have a couple questions..

*Spark plugs... what are the best ones? when to change them? can i do this myself (i read its kind of a pain?)
    *Spark plug wires... what are the best ones?
    *Brake rotors... drilled, slotted, or drilled AND slotted? which is best?

thanks

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Spark plugs - Got headers? The only spark plug changes that I've done were on 2 LS1 cars, one had edelbrock shortys and the other had SLP LTs. Both were about the same when it came to being a PITA, but the back 2 plugs on the passenger side are EXTREMELY hard to acces, especially with LTs. Have fun! It's easier on a lift. Plan for a couple hours on this job

Plug Wires - MSD is a popular brand

Rotors - Don't skimp out, Drilled & Slotted with Hawk pads!

white
    02 SS

PLUGS- I use NGK TR-55. I know alot of people with LS1's that use these.
    WIRES- For these I use Taylor wires. I think they are the 10.5's.
    Brakes- I use PowerStop rotors. These are dimpled/drilled, and for pads I use Hawk HP Plus. This combo of rotor/pads has great gripping abilities allowing you have a good suspension/tire setup.
    02 SS, Cammed and other shit!!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by supersexy View Post
    PLUGS- I use NGK TR-55. I know alot of people with LS1's that use these.
    WIRES- For these I use Taylor wires. I think they are the 10.5's.
    Brakes- I use PowerStop rotors. These are dimpled/drilled, and for pads I use Hawk HP Plus. This combo of rotor/pads has great gripping abilities allowing you have a good suspension/tire setup.
    i also read it was a pain in the ass. but i hear good things about NGK TR-55

wires i never changed them but im sure someone will chyme in and say something there.

as for brakes.. unless ur doing like auto cross or something i dont see why you would spend so much on drilled/slotted and all that... it seems to be more for show if you ask me.. if anything imo get slotted cause you wont have the fear of them cracking (like the drilled) and they prob wont be as expensive.. and you get a little style points...

as for pads.. i hear great things with the hawk pads

good luck

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Spark plugs - Got headers? The only spark plug changes that I've done were on 2 LS1 cars, one had edelbrock shortys and the other had SLP LTs. Both were about the same when it came to being a PITA, but the back 2 plugs on the passenger side are EXTREMELY hard to acces, especially with LTs. Have fun! It's easier on a lift. Plan for a couple hours on this job

Plug Wires - MSD is a popular brand

Rotors - Don't skimp out, Drilled & Slotted with Hawk pads!
    Plugs, most run NGK TR-55s with great success

Wires, most like MSD wires. I use both of these and prefer them. As far as changing them, they are not bad if have headers. If you still have the stock manifolds, its a PIA. Removing the coil packs helps a ton. A lot of people prefer do to #8 from underneath. I can do all 8 of mine from up top in about 30-40 minutes. You may also want to check out this thread for plug wires:

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31657

I would also change your rear oil, fuel filter, air filter and check the tranny fluid/filter.

I have had Irotor cross drilled and slotted rotors on my Camaro for years, with no problems. I also don't beat on my car or drive it a ton either. Here is a good thread on brakes/rotors:

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76369

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

plugs are annoying but not awful. drivers side is simple, just the last two on the passenger side give problems. go with NGK tr-55's.

for wires, i have MSD 8.5mm superconductors. very nice wires.

for brakes, get blanks with hawk hps pads. blanks are stronger, don't chew up pads as fast, and have more surface area for the pads to grip. pads are the most important thing. if you're dying for "style points" then go just slotted, but it won't do anything for performance. also, bleed the brakes and get some quality brake fluid.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

TR-55
    MSDs - plus they are bendable so you can get better clearance away from the heat
    Brakes - depends how you drive

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

wow thanks for all the responses...

to clarify the brake rotors, i havent checked if the site is a sponsor of this forum but they offer all 4 rotors for under $200... so i figure i'll give them a shot... they offer them in drilled, slotted, or drilled/slotted all for the same price... i think the company of the rotors themselves are "rotoworks"? and yes i plan to use hawk pads.. have read good things about them. was considering the hawk ceramic pads... barely more money than the HPS hawk pads? anything wrong with using ceramic?

and when you guys say NGK TR-55 spark plugs are you suggesting the "NGK TR55" or the "NGK TR55-IX"??
    Last edited by mammoth713; 12-27-2009 at 08:54 PM.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

if you insist on having something other than blank, go slotted. hps's are great, no experience with their ceramics though. i have the regular TR-55's, not familiars with the IX's.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

will i see a noticeable gain in power by replacing all the spark plugs/spark plug wires on a car that has 60k miles?? or should i wait a year or so?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    will i see a noticeable gain in power by replacing all the spark plugs/spark plug wires on a car that has 60k miles?? or should i wait a year or so?
    Doubt you will see anything out of it, but i would do it anyways.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

probably nothing huge. i would do at least plugs just to keep everything fresh though.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

so when you guys said the NGK TR55 plugs did you mean the iriduim coated ones (IX) or the normal ones?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Plugs-NGK tr55
    Wires-I have msds
    Brakes-Depends what you wanna do with the car and how much you wanna spend i guess. I got drilled and slotted from summit and they've been good to me

***Tip for changing passenger side plugs, remove the coil packs and valve cover. Ive been doing that every time i do mine as well when i replaced my header gaskets. I swear i could change the last two plugs in 20 min or less and that includes removing the coils and valve cover, no joke Some people say it'll cause valve cover leaks but it hasn't in mine and i've done it several times now.

Thread Information