Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

6-speed or A4? is the 6spd really worth it?

This is a discussion on 6-speed or A4? is the 6spd really worth it? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 01T-TopToy Ah sorry, the accented words are to highlight, not imply anger .. I tossed in a ...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01T-TopToy View Post
    Ah sorry, the accented words are to highlight, not imply anger .. I tossed in a smiley to show I was happy, I am sorry if I came across pissed, wasn't intentional. Just meant to show my opinion

PS and that last sentence was Entirely intentional
    ha ha ha i like your methods.....just joking too. but seriously, the mother fucker needs to get one soon. Him, ATCHARMING (yeah you ya little bastard) TransDreamer, and a few others. i just want them to get what they want because ive most definetly been in their shoes. it sucks when something is just out of reach. and the douche bag dealerships dont make it any easier on us younger guys. i wish all you best of luck finding the right f-body. let me know if you need help, i exhaust every possible option to find mine, might have some ideas for ya.

NATRALLY ASPIRATED 495 HP TASWEET SS's Avatar

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

good luck to , just take your time , there are some deals out there, i got mine off ebay, used, i owner, 2002 SS camaro with less than 2k miles on her , not i scratch, non smoker i mean brand new, the sticker price was $33,ooo, i got it for 23900, i got 8k miles on her now, 430rwhp bad to the bone, it didnt come with that hp, i got LS6 heads, $2500 exhaust system, tuned by jeff creech. dont jump on the first one you see, im 50 years old, patient my man, for a slight finders fee ill find you one, im diabled, i got a lot of time abby

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by TASWEET SS View Post
    good luck to , just take your time , there are some deals out there, i got mine off ebay, used, i owner, 2002 SS camaro with less than 2k miles on her , not i scratch, non smoker i mean brand new, the sticker price was $33,ooo, i got it for 23900, i got 8k miles on her now, 430rwhp bad to the bone, it didnt come with that hp, i got LS6 heads, $2500 exhaust system, tuned by jeff creech. dont jump on the first one you see, im 50 years old, patient my man, for a slight finders fee ill find you one, im diabled, i got a lot of time abby
    amen its all about patience. +1000! i waited about two years to get my first one, then 7 months to get second one.

NATRALLY ASPIRATED 495 HP TASWEET SS's Avatar

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

are you a chevy man? or ponyiac ws6, chevrolet baseball and apple pie, you get the point bowtie abby

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've got an A4 since my wife decided she was tired of shifting. She never drives the car, so I could have held out for an M6, but I drove a couple of M6 cars and I thought that the ratios were a little annoying. First seemed real short, as did second. I could imagine shifting up and down in rush hour. Besides, as was stated earlier, a properly geared and stalled A4 can be pretty formidable at the drag strip. The M6 might be better for a road circuit where it would allow you a greater selection of gearing for turns, but the A4 just keeps laying down consistent times at the strip. I've won a couple of races because the opposing driver missed a shift with his manual transmission. Never happens with an automatic. My A4 is a basically stock car with 2.73 gears. It ran a 13.44 best e.t. and a 107.43 best trap on streets. Every pass is very close to those numbers. If I had a 3400 stall, a set of 3.73s and some drag radials I'm thinking mid 12s (and probably a blown rear end).

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RagTop View Post
    It ran a 13.44 best e.t. and a 107.43 best trap on streets. Every pass is very close to those numbers. If I had a 3400 stall, a set of 3.73s and some drag radials I'm thinking mid 12s (and probably a blown rear end).
    Nah, the rear can hold up with that. Unless you put something really sticky under it. But even then it'll be alright. The automatic cushions a lot of the shock unlike the M6.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I really don't shift in traffic to much. I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd in slow traffic. Pick a gear for the pace and your all set. If it's moving along steady 4th is good for just about any speed.

I don't find myself shifting that much in traffic. Actually I can slow down as slow as 25 mph and still put along in 4th gear and even pick up speed without a problem. Even in a 35 mph zone I cruise along in 5th gear no problems. I never really find a need to search around for gears, and most of the time while accelerating from a stop, I pass over 5th gear altogether and go straight to 6th if I know I am going to be cruising at 45 mph or higher.
    It cuts down on the shifting and the unnecessary engine reving, and picks up a couple mpg as well. Doing all this with 3.42's,,,with more rearend gear it would be even easier.

Although I like driving and racing the 6speed, I also enjoy the benefits of the auto LS1 I just bought. Larry.

white
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I like my A4 just fine. It's all based on personal choice. Just remember: M6's will impress high school kids while A4's win races.
    i agree!

red
    1999 camaro Z28

I have an A4 with a good shift kit, so that spices things up a bit. I was toying with the idea of swapping to an M6, but after putting in 3.42 gears I have lost interest in a manual. The car takes off so fast with those gears, I have really grown quite fond of the way it performs now. As long as I have had the car, I wouldn't want to sell and buy another.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

We just brought up a thread that was from 2007

That might be a new record.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

Nice, maybe someone here might take that as a challenge

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

I think we had an 06 the other day.... But it was a pointless post, so I killed it and let the thread die.

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Nice, maybe someone here might take that as a challenge
    Accepted

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I like that he quoted me when he brought this thread back from the grave...

OTOH, I now have an M6 as the DD while I still race/drive the A4.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i got a M6 02 z28 and a 01 a-4 trans am i love my m6 z28 way better cause is better on gas mileage and i can actually race from a roll. with the trans am you cant down shift all you can do is slam it and wait for it to get on the rite gear by then the other car already has a car length on you, and wen your cruising it plays to much with is gear. i daily drive both of them and the z28 is also really good i mean if you have the rite clutch the gears go in by them self.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I assume your A4 doesn't have an aftermarket stall then.

Quote Originally Posted by reaper ws6 View Post
    i got a M6 02 z28 and a 01 a-4 trans am i love my m6 z28 way better cause is better on gas mileage and i can actually race from a roll. with the trans am you cant down shift all you can do is slam it and wait for it to get on the rite gear by then the other car already has a car length on you, and wen your cruising it plays to much with is gear. i daily drive both of them and the z28 is also really good i mean if you have the rite clutch the gears go in by them self.
    Sounds like your A4 needs work. You can certainly race from a roll (if that's what you prefer) I'm more of a "dig" racer.

In any event, a good tune and you can tweak the downshift points and sensitivity to the point where it's instantaneous, no gear hunting. And like 35th mentioned, a stall converter is a must have in these cars. Weak low end and tight converter coupled to no rear gear makes for a soggy performer.
    A loose converter, a good tune, and a nice gear, and you can roll race with the best of them guaranteed.

Black
    2000 WS6

You've kinda answered your own question.
    To me, F bodies are for performance oriented driving.
    That to me is clutch actuated.
    You can spend some coin and beef up an auto but, unless it's got paddles on the wheel it's not performance.
    Give me a 6 speeder with a shit hot clutch set up anytime.
    You like driving in traffic?
    I don't know anyone who does and the ones who do have commuter cars.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

I drive sticks in traffic, not a big deal. Our commuter car (my wifes) is her 4th gen and it's a 6speed.

Everyones idea of performance varies. Auto cross would be nice with a stick. Drag racing is also fun with a stick, and I'll be the first to tell you that I ran UMTR (stick racing for the unaware) for a couple years and I love it. Not with a 6 speed 4th gen however.

The Downside with stick racing is that it's very expensive. Sticks break parts no matter how good stuff is. And these 6 speed 4th gens are no acception. They need major upgrades as well, it's not just the auto guys.
    The 6 speed itself has many major weak internal parts that should be replaced and upgraded, the clutch sucks, and the hydraulics suck. Personally I would prefer to ditch the hydraulic setup all together and use a mechanical Z-bar and fork setup. The rail style shifters leave alot to be desired in my eyes as well.

I'm not saying a 4th gen with a stick is horrible, they make great daily drivers with good economy mixed in. But it's not a performance machine if I can't pound on it without fear of breaking something.

For all around driving, and drag racing with consistency and less tendancy to break parts, the auto is a winner hands down. But to some it's not as fun. I can tell you from personal experience it's a hell of alot less expensive though

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i also don't mine driving my m6 in traffic it was my first car and i had it going on 4 yrs so i guess you can say i'm use to it. Plus is a small town with not to many hills im sure that has a roll in it. But naw Jon my a-4 does not have a stall she is stock for now, once i finish paying her off im going to start building her trany up with stall,cooler, then gears, and maybe a rebuild since it does have 140k (but still running strong the old girl is ) and a tune. Im sure she will be more fun to drive then, but what i was trying to say is "that rite out of the factory m6 are fun to drive, but a-4 you have to do some modifications to make it fun". Plus i dont know why but i fell more in control with my m6 im actually kinda scare wen i let the t/a lose from a dig lol i had a traumatic experience in a a-4 ss

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information