Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

6-speed or A4? is the 6spd really worth it?

This is a discussion on 6-speed or A4? is the 6spd really worth it? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by stunna-shades silent101-----what kind of trans u have....im assuming 4l60e right...my cars auto shifter dosent let me drop ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    silent101-----what kind of trans u have....im assuming 4l60e right...my cars auto shifter dosent let me drop down to 1st gear...it goes2.3.D....will i need to change my shifter or what????
    I don't have an auto, but from what I've read, there is a mod you can do to allow the shifter to go into 1st. Apparently all the 2.73 geared cars had a block inside of the shifter to prevent you from engaging 1st gear for whatever reason. I'm sure there is a writeup somewhere on how to remove the block and enable the manual selection of 1st gear. Just search around, I'm sure you'll find it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    launching the car like an idiot or missing a gear is rather common.
    I guess people just suck at driving

My first time at the track I pounded 1st through 4th gear as fast as possible down the strip and didn't miss any shifts. I have a Pro 5.0 shifter, which helps a hell of a lot. I also launched without bogging or spinning, and like I said, that was my first time.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

from numerous times in ET drag races and just test and tune times at the track I found a stock A4 and M6 car are about equal in the 1/4 mile. The main thing is it takes awhile to launch correct with a m6...I have always been into manual cars, but bought my 02 Z28 with a A4 and I am very happy with it. The m6 is more durable, but the clutch will fry if you launch it hard alot and then you will need to invest in a really good clutch and a Moser when the rear breaks. On the highway the m6 is the best though. With the a4 making the car much faster is cheaper I feel.. A nice stall converter takes a instant 6/10 ths to 1 second off 1/4 mile times and for my setup cost was about $700 total. My a4 and stock rear(I added 3:42's), has held up to 300+ passed with over 100 on the 3400 stall in the 1.5's 60 foot times. A nice buildup of a A4 is around $1,500 and is pretty good compared to most auto vehicles. People always think the m6 cars are better in the 1/4 mile, but with my experience the m6 is faster and a4 quicker. I would never have a m6 for drag racing... the stock rear will be gone quick and even the mosers have a hard time when the power goes up. Most on the race team I am on are going with the 9 inch because even the Mosers have a problem holding up to the hard launches with a m6. The m6 cars will dyno higher normally, but even with the slightly lower #'s on a auto, the cars will run equal times if the person driving the m6 is very good and can get good 60 foot times which is alot harder than people think. People with m6 fbodys at the track are always asking me how I am getting the 1.5's 60 foot times. The m6 will trap higher mph though. I was running 107 mph when the car was basically stock and now I have taken 1.4 seconds off my stock times and still run 106-107 mph.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 02-16-2007 at 10:54 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    A4 if u are lazy or drag racing alot.....M6 if you are a real driver and not lazy.
    M6 if you are bullheaded and think you have to shift your own gears to be fast and that it makes you better than me just because you shift your own gears, A4 if you want to win more often and NEVER mess up a launch of miss a gear.

M6 if you plan on staying stock, becuse when you start modding the M6 gets harder and harder to drive. Once you make a certain amount of power, it becomes near impossible to perform consistently in an M6. you make enough power you can NOT get the rpm/clutch slip right every single time when you take off, you WILL bog or burnout a significant amount of time. Get lower gears and make some power, you can't keep up with the shifts well enough to perform well every time. People with your opinion piss me off cause you make fun of my automatic, then when we race we have to do it seven times trying to get a race where you actually get a good launch AND don't miss a gear, when I performed perfect every time. Then you STILL argue your car is better but conditions just weren't right

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    M6 if you are bullheaded and think you have to shift your own gears to be fast and that it makes you better than me just because you shift your own gears, A4 if you want to win more often and NEVER mess up a launch of miss a gear.

M6 if you plan on staying stock, becuse when you start modding the M6 gets harder and harder to drive. Once you make a certain amount of power, it becomes near impossible to perform consistently in an M6. you make enough power you can NOT get the rpm/clutch slip right every single time when you take off, you WILL bog or burnout a significant amount of time. Get lower gears and make some power, you can't keep up with the shifts well enough to perform well every time. People with your opinion piss me off cause you make fun of my automatic, then when we race we have to do it seven times trying to get a race where you actually get a good launch AND don't miss a gear, when I performed perfect every time. Then you STILL argue your car is better but conditions just weren't right
    Ain't that the MF'n TRUTH! M6: Wrong rpm to launch, I missed a shift, etc., etc. A4: Put it in drive and go! You can program the tranny to do everything but wash your windows

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Ain't that the MF'n TRUTH! M6: Wrong rpm to launch, I missed a shift, etc., etc. A4: Put it in drive and go! You can program the tranny to do everything but wash your windows
    Pretty much.

Which is why I think it takes the fun out of driving completely.

I want to drive ther car, not ride in the car as it drives itself.

I still have a hard time launching my M6. I dont miss gears anymore though.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

This is kind of a dead issue. Neither is better than the other,,, I own both and like them just the same. I like shifting too,,and I race in a stick shift class for points. I have been there and done that. When you get older,,clutch changes are not as fun as they used to be, and sticks are just hard on parts in general.
    And when you are talking 4th gens I feel the 6speed is the wrong choice simply because the rearends are weak in these cars and cannot take the abuse. The car needs about $4,000 worth of upgrades before it is worthy of a stickshift transmission. The factory clutches stink, the 7.5 rear is a joke, and the factory aluminum driveshafts twist like taffy.
    If you get rid of all that junk then a stick shift is a nice addition to a 4th gen,,,until then it's a walking time bomb. I only wish GM would have built a more bullet proof drivetrain from the tailshaft on back.
    Because of this,,,for general purposes I prefer the auto, but I am older, been racing sticks for years,,,so opinions will vary.
    Bottom line is,,,we shouldn't knock people for their choice in transmissions and simply just enjoy these cars,,,buy what you like and have fun. Larry.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Umm..definitely not. With regular service, a manual transmission will outlast an automatic every time. They are generally built stronger, and there is no internal slippage or excessve friction inside the transmission. How many cars do you see with 200K on the clock with an automatic transmission?? Not many, because they don't generally last that long. Unless of course you're talking about a TH350 or TH400, which is a different ballgame. Guys have had 4L60's go out with less than 100K on them, and thats without beating on them. Same thing with the 700R4, which was the earlier version of the 4L60.

Clutches can last indefinitely if you know how to drive stick properly and don't abuse them, and when they do go changing a clutch is a hell of a lot cheaper than rebuilding an automatic trans because the clutches and bands are worn out. The T56 is a heavy duty transmission to begin with, so when properly driven, they can take plenty of abuse. If you happen to be pushing over 500WHP, then all thats required is a rebuilt with heavy duty components to make it completely bulletproof. T56 Rebuilds specializes in that, and you get get one done for under 2K, which is a pretty good deal IMO.

Personally I would never buy any sports car with an automatic, expecially not an F-Body. Just takes all the fun out of driving for me. Instead of me driving the car around, the car is driving me around. I don't like not having complete control over clutch engagement and gear selction. Not to mention that manuals put more power to the ground, get better fuel economy, and are faster than anything short of a fully built up/stalled auto.

you covered that perfectly.

and might I add, unless i was building a sub-10 second car, i would never purchase a car with an automatic that i plan on racing other people with, I think its extremely lame. automatics are for big cadillacs and diesel trucks.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Formula View Post

and might I add, unless i was building a sub-10 second car, i would never purchase a car with an automatic that i plan on racing other people with, I think its extremely lame. automatics are for big cadillacs and diesel trucks.

keep thinking autos are lame.
    i will out 60" you, totally rape you out of the hole, not cry about missing a shift or bogging the car like a M6 owner will.
    this smiley is a perfect for M6 owners
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

I guess people just suck at driving

My first time at the track I pounded 1st through 4th gear as fast as possible down the strip and didn't miss any shifts. I have a Pro 5.0 shifter, which helps a hell of a lot. I also launched without bogging or spinning, and like I said, that was my first time.
    most M6 drivers do suck. they dont want to power shift or dont know how to.
    i have yet to lose a race out of the hole to a six speed. ive raced many of M6s that were making more power than me to top it off.

i had an M6 C5. shifting gears isnt all thats its cracked up to be when you live in a big city with ALOT of traffic.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

I have an A4 and I have no problems with it yet. I am sitting at 70k miles and I go to the track all the time. I had a M6 in my old 97 Z and it was a blast to drive. But I am nowhere near as consistent as I am now at the the track.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

i will out 60" you, totally rape you out of the hole, not cry about missing a shift or bogging the car like a M6 owner will.
    Correction - you think you will. You are assuming he can't drive his car to its potential and that he doesn't have the skills necessary to beat you.

That may work for you most of the time, but if you come accross a very capable M6 driver, you will get beaten. The odds are against it, but don't overestimate your auto's abilities.

blk
    ?

wow..this goes both ways....personally i have never raced an( auto )f-body that took my ls1 m6 out of the hole, given i was running 4.10's and 315-35 -18 g-force ta's....but i tell you what, when they are stalled, and equal power, you better have some m6 skillz...or you might not make up that holeshot

black
    1998 camaro ss

Hoooey! lighten up,francis-yeah, an a4 is going to 60 better than an m6 in most cases, especially on the street, but I gave up street racing a while back, at the track, however, I factor in a softer leave, adjust my dial accordingly, and usually hold my own downstrip. If I do miss a shift and lose an comp. round, the only one I piss and moan to is me, and when I'm not at the track I just like to shift-so sue me. In bracket racing, as weve all heard a jillion times, consistency is key, so my 30 straight 2.01 60's arent a total disaster-plus my weak kneed stock 10-bolt loves me for it.
    98 ss #1978 black, 6spd., loudmouth, ls6 intake, pro 5.0, amw catch can, mti clearlid, slp ramair, 275/40 nitto drs, all the free stuff, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, HiTech tune. 345RWHP, 352RWTq. 12.774 @ 109.91 1.99 60'.

black

Correction - you think you will. You are assuming he can't drive his car to its potential and that he doesn't have the skills necessary to beat you.

That may work for you most of the time, but if you come accross a very capable M6 driver, you will get beaten. The odds are against it, but don't overestimate your auto's abilities.
    by all standards my car is a small cam car and i have a 3000 stall which isnt big compared to what most get.

i have raced 450rwhp cars that were six speeds and raped them.
    i 60" in the upper 1.60s and im spinning threw half the 60".
    with a new set of bfg drags this year i should 60" in the lower 1.60s if i dont mod anymore.
    even guys with 12 bolts that were six speeds that had slicks on, its hard for them to 60" near a stalled cars times. many of stalled guys will tell you the same thing i just did.

matter of fact, one of the members here, BlackHawk will tell you how time and time again he was beat by us stalled guys.
    he had a 12 bolt, lgx3 cam, best clutch, rest of bolt ons and a 75 shot of giggle gas and would launch at 5500rpm and hook.
    Last edited by nhraformula; 02-18-2007 at 09:09 PM.

black

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    but i tell you what, when they are stalled, and equal power, you better have some m6 skillz...or you might not make up that holeshot

thank you, a six speed owner who can admit that an auto can beat a M6

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

another thing i have noticed is that almost all A4's are cheaper than M6's. cheaper by a couple thousand in most cases.

I never see a difference for prices just because of transmissions,,,what I see has the most influence on prices is MILEAGE. Given 2 cars with different transmissions,,,so long as the mileage is similar and the cars have similar options,,,,the prices will also be similar. I have had my eye on 01 and 02 SS convertables for a long time. Either transmission didn't matter to me. What I had seen before I finally bought mine, is that the prices were all in the upper teens for low mileage cars,,no matter what transmission was in it. If the car had 30-40,000 miles or less,,,expect to pay $17-20,000,,,and even higher for extremely low mileage. Also care and maintainance also dictates the price.

Some of the older folks like myself are also a little more cautious when buying a 4th gen, especially a 6 speed car,,,,and reading through this topic is a prime example why. 6speed cars are driven hard and put away wet. Modified extensively, and mainly driven by young kids that love to race. This does nothing for value in my opinion and I am sure the older generation knows what I am talking about. I personally won't pay more for a 6speed car,,,especially if I see any signs of abuse, neglect, poor maintainance etc...when I can go down the street and buy an auto that was adult owned, garage kept, well maintained, hardly abused etc....as a matter of fact,,,,I would gladly pay more money for a car cared for like that no matter what transmission was in it. The trans has little influence on me,,,,I am more worried about how the car was cared for and used. The older folk may understand where I am coming from. Larry.

Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

I say choose the one with the big boobs. Oops, wrong thread.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information