Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 137

6-speed or A4? is the 6spd really worth it?

This is a discussion on 6-speed or A4? is the 6spd really worth it? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wesman A properly driven stock M6 F-Body will always be faster than a stock A4 F-Body. The ...

  1. #41
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    A properly driven stock M6 F-Body will always be faster than a stock A4 F-Body. The M6 puts down more power to the wheels, has better (and closer) gear ratios, a higher rear end ratio, can launch harder, and weighs less. How do you figure the auto would be just as fast or faster?? It isn't in stock form.

    Obviously once you start modding, it could go in either direction though.
    both cars stock, it comes down to who gets the better launch.
    try and launch a M6 too hard youll stand in one spot burning out.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  2. #42
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    How much more power?
    How does it launch harder?
    How much less does it weigh?
    Have you lined up both ( side by side race) to see which is faster?
    I personally seen both auto and manaul LS1 f-bodies side by side racing. They manual won every time, both were I/E.

    How much more power?? I already answered that. Approximately 15-20WHP difference between the auto and manual.

    How does it launch harder?? Are you serious, or have you never driven a stick shift car?? You can launch a manual car at any RPM you choose based on traction/conditions and clutch modulation. With a stock auto you can just brake stall it up the stock TC stall speed and let it go. With 2.73's thats not a very hard launch.

    Weights are 3411lbs for the Manual and 3433lbs for the automatic. Not a big difference at all, but in racing every little bit counts.

  3. #43
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    both cars stock, it comes down to who gets the better launch.
    try and launch a M6 too hard youll stand in one spot burning out.
    Well thats pretty obvious.

    Assuming both drivers are equal, and the M6 driver doesn't launch the car like an idiot, the M6 is going to win.

  4. #44
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    M6 is the most fun to drive and is faster stock. It's the only way to go unless you want to build a strip only car or only have one leg, then an auto is better.

  5. #45
    I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Standish,Maine
    Age
    51
    Posts
    560

    Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I personally seen both auto and manaul LS1 f-bodies side by side racing. They manual won every time, both were I/E.

    How much more power?? I already answered that. Approximately 15-20WHP difference between the auto and manual.

    How does it launch harder?? Are you serious, or have you never driven a stick shift car?? You can launch a manual car at any RPM you choose based on traction/conditions and clutch modulation. With a stock auto you can just brake stall it up the stock TC stall speed and let it go. With 2.73's thats not a very hard launch.

    Weights are 3411lbs for the Manual and 3433lbs for the automatic. Not a big difference at all, but in racing every little bit counts.
    OK
    So does the 19 year old(the guy who posted this thread), looking for a daily driver, and isn't good with a stick, need a manual trans.?

  6. #46
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    Everyone needs a manual trans!

  7. #47
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    OK
    So does the 19 year old(the guy who posted this thread), looking for a daily driver, and isn't good with a stick, need a manual trans.?
    Of course not...

    I'm just adding my opinion that I prefer manual over auto, along with the reasons why.

    He can make that decision for himself

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    M6 is the most fun to drive and is faster stock. It's the only way to go unless you want to build a strip only car or only have one leg, then an auto is better.

    HAHAHA, sorry that just made my day

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    mi
    Age
    37
    Posts
    172
    Lets put is this way, I have never been beat in my stock 1999 Z28 with 3.23 gear by a stock 6 speed z28,ss or TA,WS6. 90% spin and alot of people miss gears. I can launch my A4 like a mad mad and not spin a bit and get great traction. I will say when doing a 30 role with a WS6 He beat me 1 out of 3 but I solved that by forceing the auto into first and It launched great. I am in south lyon, Michigan if some one wants a try at it just PM me.

  10. #50
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Well thats pretty obvious.

    Assuming both drivers are equal, and the M6 driver doesn't launch the car like an idiot, the M6 is going to win.
    launching the car like an idiot or missing a gear is rather common.

  11. #51
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

    Weights are 3411lbs for the Manual and 3433lbs for the automatic. Not a big difference at all, but in racing every little bit counts.
    my car weighs 3380.

  12. #52
    Ricekiller z28punk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Age
    29
    Posts
    509

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

    i just found an auto with 3.42's in it....weird. must have ordered it that way, cuz it has it in its build summary.

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    california
    Posts
    114

    blk
    ?

    silent101-----what kind of trans u have....im assuming 4l60e right...my cars auto shifter dosent let me drop down to 1st gear...it goes2.3.D....will i need to change my shifter or what????

  14. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    10

    RED
    2002 Camaro SS

    A4 vs. M6 is just like picking a color - opinions vary and the only one that matters is the one of the owner.

    For me, it was not even a Q, ordered the M6 - but that was because I like to row them myself.

    A good friend of mine likes speed, and frying tires, as much as I do - and he ordered A4.

    Dude with the original question - buy what YOU like.

    Of course, when you are picking out the color, we all know that RED is the fastest.

  15. #55
    Member NHRAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver,B.C.,Canada.W.Coast
    Posts
    513

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

    Cool

    A4 if u are lazy or drag racing alot.....M6 if you are a real driver and not lazy.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    california
    Posts
    114

    blk
    ?

    a4 if its what came in the car when you bought it for hella cheap..

  17. #57
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    i just found an auto with 3.42's in it....weird. must have ordered it that way, cuz it has it in its build summary.
    its an aftermarket gear, GM would not allow anybody to order a 3.42 for an automatic, its been tried

  18. #58
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    silent101-----what kind of trans u have....im assuming 4l60e right...my cars auto shifter dosent let me drop down to 1st gear...it goes2.3.D....will i need to change my shifter or what????
    changing the shifter wont do much good. you need to go into the cars ECU and program different shift points

  19. #59
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    A4 if u are lazy or drag racing alot.....M6 if you are a real driver and not lazy.
    bullshit.

  20. #60
    Ricekiller z28punk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Age
    29
    Posts
    509

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

    its an aftermarket gear, GM would not allow anybody to order a 3.42 for an automatic, its been tried
    ur right
    it was built from the factory with 3.42's
    RPO option GU6. it said Automatic in the ad, but it says M6 on the vehicle build summary. its got the hurst short throw.
    i thought it was a rare one
    Last edited by z28punk; 02-16-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Land Speed Racers - High-Speed Bombers
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
  2. 1998 z28 6spd 68Kmiles $7000 Fort Worth
    By atariz29 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
  3. lt16 speed compared to an ls1 6 speed
    By NOmulletLs7 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
  4. Dodge Hemi Speed Demon - The Speed Demons
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 09:30 PM
  5. 17 psi srt4 5 speed vs 6 speed 99' trans am
    By via sin dios in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •