Thread: 6.2 in 02??

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

6.2 in 02??

After spending last friday at the road course and then the evening at the dragstrip, I've found my 02 maro woefully wanting.

This is comparing it to my 67 that was setup well enough for both that all I had to do was change tires and spring settings at the different venues and it did remarkedly well, including the roll bar and harnesses.

The 02 is putting about 315 hp to the wheels, which is almost 300hp shy of the 67. I was impressed in the way is stuck in the corners, and I will be putting some better pads, my track tires and a few more suspension parts on it, and it for sure never got hot while pressed hard for 20 minutes and 115 mph down the straight, compared to 160 with the 67.

At the drags I used some nitto DR's I had (which I also used on the road course because you can) I did not go lower than 20 lbs in them as I was afraid of hooking up and blowing the rear diff off with the M6. Needless to say, I quit at 2 passes, never getting it out of the 14's or over 103 mph. The 67 would go into the high 9's @ 138. (what a doofus to sell it).

People I used to lap at the road course were close to lapping me, (a 67 mustang) so more hp is a definite add down the road. I'm thinking that 550 hp at the crank would get me where I want to go, and just wondering about a pull out 6.2 with a hot cam and kooks headers and how difficult it would be to swap in and what all would be needed? I see them for $6000, and if selling the LS1 could net $1500 I'm hoping the entire swap to cost less then $7000. Anyway to get that much (550hp) out of the LS1 for less and be as streetable? (I know there will be a new rear end needed first).

Thx for replies!
    Last edited by dbs1; 01-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.

2011 Prius

I personally would look into an LQ9, then bore/stroke into a nice 408 C/I... By 6.2, I am guessing it's an LS3? The LQ9 is a fairly stronger block, plus I imagine it will be cheaper and create as much if not more power.

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

The downside of an LQ9 is that it's an iron block and adds additional weight over the front tires which is a no-no for the road course.

Keeping the LS1 or an LS2/LS3 for the weight savings, which I believe is over 80 lbs appeals to me more than $ savings (to a point).

The downside to the 67 and the BBC (although the car was 100lbs lighter) was the tendancy to push the front end and having the back end very loose, along with never finishing a 20 minute session cuz the engine temps were hitting 240.

I'm ok with running in the 11's and no rollbar, but this car desperately needs another 100-150 hp to be competitive. It handles better already, almost as fast in the corners which can be solved with the pads, upgraded sway bars, lower control arms and panhard bar and some rims for my NT01 tires, but in the straights I am getting killed!

2011 Prius

I was told it actually less of weight difference then you think. There's also plenty of ways to lighten the front. But the LS3 would be a great choice, I don't think it would be hard putting it in (just a guess). It's wiring and the computer is where the problems would be.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Didn't you just finish a build???

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

If the question is to me-No.

I got ahold of an article doing an LS3 swap into the gen 4 camaro. It was not super hard, but lots of challenges, and probably closer to $9k when all done.

I may have to lower my expectations with hp and keep an eye on ebay for budget items for the LS1.

I see some ported LS1 heads for around $500 and a LS7 cam kit for around the same amount. I'm not sure what the gains would be or how compatible the cam would be with what I have?

It may be that a head/cam swap with 75-90 hp gain to keep some street manners is where I end up.

Unlike the last 10 years where I had unlimited funds, I am really limited now, so maybe just keeping all the suspension mods, a new clutch and limited power adding is gonna have to fit under the $5k mark?

Maybe if we cross out the dragstrip for now, and just concentrate on the road course the weak 7.5 will live at the 475-500hp range?

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    Didn't you just finish a build???
    Just have to rewire the entire car, rebuild rear end, and then put the interior back together. Then body work, should be running in a couple of weeks...

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Just have to rewire the entire car, rebuild rear end, and then put the interior back together. Then body work, should be running in a couple of weeks...
    Sweet got any pics of her yet

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    Sweet got any pics of her yet
    Get some tomorrow, just pretty much rebuilding my old Trans Am. Stepdad bought my old car after I parked it on it's roof. We located an 01 Firebird, with I think 80,000 miles on the body (neglected and blown head gasket), for a nice $1,000). Well we are rebuilding my old car and giving it to my mom.

If I had it to do over again, I would have this Firebird. Parted out my entire Trans Am, accept for the Trans Am body parts and Ram Air Hood. Put it all on the Firebird. Ordered a built T-56, 9" and a 408 CI... Probably would have had a hell of a nice car, and would probably spent a couple thousand over my Corvette. Paint that Firebird flatblack... would been killer... But it's in the past now, what can I do...

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

I have found some information at gmperformanceparts.com. There you will find the E-Rod crate engine kit. You get an LS3 430hp engine ,ECM and Harness to make a no hassel installation in any car. The article is using a 55 chevy as a demo. The package is about $8400.
    2001WS6 T/A slp lid, smooth bellows, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Bosch+4, Vig 3200 stall, BM trans cooler, SLP 3" Y-pipe, 3" corsa catback, preditor custom tune by RWTD, 275/17BFG'S. 1976T/A 455-4spd-3:42

Thread Information