Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

5th Gen Camaro

This is a discussion on 5th Gen Camaro within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by jimmi7769 I would have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's about power ...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi7769
    I would have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's about power at all but more about the design and ergonomics of the two cars. V6 cars have always sold more than V8's on both platforms. I think Women prefer the Mustangs basically because they are a more friendly happy design. The Camaro/Firebird is a more cramped unforgiving style. Kind of the 'slap you in the face and get out of my way' philosophy vs the 'I'm Cute' one.
    I think the V6 vs V8 thing goes right to cost vs desire. Most buyers look at the two price tags and those that don't care how fast it'll go pick the cheaper one.

Very true! Good point didn't think of it that way.

US of A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    It would be nice but it won't happen. Everyone thought the same about the GTO. Thought this was gonna replace the Firebird and remain a cheap hotrod...instead it's released looking like crap and costing close to $35,000.00. I see GM charging close to $40,000 for a fully-loaded Camaro with a LS2 style engine. I'm curoius to see what engine they put in it cause they ain't gonna let it get close to their pride-and-joy Corvette.
    There's no way it's going to be more than the GTO, either in price or in weight. It's a smaller car, made here instead of imported on a platform planned to be shared with several cars. The LS2 itself (or whatever standard V8 they're using around 08/09) shouldn't be any more expensive than the LS1s were, they're sticking the LS2s in just about everything these days. I'm fairly sure some of the insiders at have stated the pricing is expected to be similar to the last Fbodies... Even if they rolled back to a 5.3l LS4 or whatever it is called type setup, 325-350 hp shouldn't be too hard (seems like a step back to LS1-power level days, but should still handily outpower the Stang GT)...

GM would be flat out stupid to think it could compete with the Mustang if the new Camaro comes in even at the GTO's price point... If Ford can build the Mustang for what they do, GM can build the Camaro for a similar price, maybe a couple grand more like the last Fbodies vs the Stangs at the time...
    Last edited by Camaro Fan; 12-16-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information