Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

5th Gen Camaro

This is a discussion on 5th Gen Camaro within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I never thought of that, but it's soooo true. I don't know about nationally but i live in Texas and ...

Hotrod
    I never thought of that, but it's soooo true. I don't know about nationally but i live in Texas and I NEVER saw ads for the Camaro or Firebird. And your right the only people who bought them were people who were already familiar with them or long time fans of the car. They did nothing to bring attention to the car from other car buying groups and they probably won't this time around either.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 97lt1ss
    93???? shut up the ss's didnt come back until 96!
    sorry, I just assumed that they came back in '93 and still, thats just 3 years longer that they weren't even around.

Red
    86 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    I never thought of that, but it's soooo true. I don't know about nationally but i live in Texas and I NEVER saw ads for the Camaro or Firebird. And your right the only people who bought them were people who were already familiar with them or long time fans of the car. They did nothing to bring attention to the car from other car buying groups and they probably won't this time around either.
    Yea really, first time I EVER set eyes on an 4th gen firebird (seen a couple of 3rd gens but wasnt into muscle cars at the time) was a red TA blackbird. I was like god damn what is that?! But none of my friends (who were hooked on the fast and furious bandwagon) didnt know either. This was in 2001 i think

NBM
    '00 Z28

That's funny, I seem to remember ads on TV for the new 305 HP Z28 (circa late '97-98). I also remember ads for the Trans Am where it was basically snorting other cars through its ram air like Robert Downey Jr. to a line of cocain. Remember the "The Muscle Car is Back" ads??? Pontiac's Driving Excitement phase.

Trust me, the ads were out there.

Lingenfelter TT
    I think the car looks good. A little retro styling. But it looks very heavy.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

I just want to say it's sad to hear all the people bitching and making negative comments on this subject. Scott and all the guys at GM have been working their asses off to get something out there for us and on the first hit of whats to come people are already complaining. Guys we have to remember that these were stolen pictures of an unfinished concept car and before we start passing judgement we should just wait for detroit. Sorry for ranting because a lot of people love what they saw, but just like anything else it only take a few assclowns to mess it up for everybody. I'm sure people are now going to attack me for this post, but I'm just stating the truth

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet02ss
    I just want to say it's sad to hear all the people bitching and making negative comments on this subject. Scott and all the guys at GM have been working their asses off to get something out there for us and on the first hit of whats to come people are already complaining. Guys we have to remember that these were stolen pictures of an unfinished concept car and before we start passing judgement we should just wait for detroit. Sorry for ranting because a lot of people love what they saw, but just like anything else it only take a few assclowns to mess it up for everybody. I'm sure people are now going to attack me for this post, but I'm just stating the truth

Black
    99 SS

are we allowed to dislike the design??? or are we forced to like it??

Red
    86 Z28

I say forced with a wooden stick! lol. Im glad to see some concept pics ( even if its not finalized models) but the camaro name isnt gonna get me in mood to save up for a 5th gen, if it doesnt have the camaro look.

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Pontiac Trans Am WS7

The only commercials I ever saw on TV for the camaro were the ones where some chick is driving a V6 on some windy roads. I think that might have been the 93-97 era, but I'm not sure.

I do remember the T/A commercials, but those only started in 98... GM has done a VERY poor job of advertising the F-body! I agree that, that was a big factor in lack luster sales...

2000pontiac6

Now that is awesome... It sucks theres no hope for the firebird because i think that is actually really nicely done

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Fuck that, that is 10x as retro as the leaked photos.

Red
    86 Z28

I agree, change the front grill abit and its good to go.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60
    That's funny, I seem to remember ads on TV for the new 305 HP Z28 (circa late '97-98). I also remember ads for the Trans Am where it was basically snorting other cars through its ram air like Robert Downey Jr. to a line of cocain. Remember the "The Muscle Car is Back" ads??? Pontiac's Driving Excitement phase.

Trust me, the ads were out there.
    well..they weren't put towards the right crowd then cause i went to a rich high school and kids were driving brand new m3s and shit, but no one had a ls1.its funny..now when i see them now a days and they see my car..they thinks its slow.... so its obvious that they did a poor job of advertising. I see a mustang ad in a mag or on tv like ever other day.

Hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet02ss

I don't think people are neceesary bashing GM for trying (at least I'm not). I think most people are bashing GM for discontinuing the car in the first place, and then give us consumers nothing but BS reasons as to why it was discontinued. They did do a very poor job of advertising, and gave the impression of "We don't really care about that market" which caused a lot peolpe to loose faith in GM doing the right things to it's consumers. I personally like just about all the concept pictures that are floating around, but the level of trust for GM to actually produce something that is good looking, powerful, and affordable has gone down the drain for most people. Based on their current reputation the new Camaro will either be underpowered due to emmision restrictions and gas mileage restrictions, OR it'll be overpriced. That seems to be GM's moto based on their current fleet of cars: Underpowered or Overpriced...take your pick.

redls1bird
    advertising isnt everything. you can tell by peoples reaction to this photo. you either love it, or not. gm discontinued the f bodies because they were selling like 30k units a year at best while mustangs where double that. dont get me wrong, i cant stand most crapstangs, but they did sell alot more, for whatever reason.

I can't believe the negative reactions here, I think the clay concept looks extremely badass, I can't wait to see a more finalized version come early January when the real concept get's shown at the NAIAS in Detriot.

A new Camaro based off that design coming in around 3500lb with a LS2-level engine will be badass, especially if they can reach Mustang GT price levels...

Hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by redls1bird
    gm discontinued the f bodies because they were selling like 30k units a year at best while mustangs where double that. dont get me wrong, i cant stand most crapstangs, but they did sell alot more, for whatever reason.
    I'd say the Mustand sold more because they had a very high female market. The Mustang is a sports car without enough HP to get away from a female driver. Not trying to sound shovenistic before anybody starts bashing me, but it's true. Compare the number of girls you saw driving LS1's and compare that to the woman driving Mustangs. The LS1's are intimidating to a lot of woman cause they are too powerful. My fiance was scared to drive mine but wanted to buy a Mustang cause it wasn't as powerful!

Hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaro Fan
    A new Camaro based off that design coming in around 3500lb with a LS2-level engine will be badass, especially if they can reach Mustang GT price levels...

It would be nice but it won't happen. Everyone thought the same about the GTO. Thought this was gonna replace the Firebird and remain a cheap hotrod...instead it's released looking like crap and costing close to $35,000.00. I see GM charging close to $40,000 for a fully-loaded Camaro with a LS2 style engine. I'm curoius to see what engine they put in it cause they ain't gonna let it get close to their pride-and-joy Corvette.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    I'd say the Mustand sold more because they had a very high female market. The Mustang is a sports car without enough HP to get away from a female driver. Not trying to sound shovenistic before anybody starts bashing me, but it's true. Compare the number of girls you saw driving LS1's and compare that to the woman driving Mustangs. The LS1's are intimidating to a lot of woman cause they are too powerful. My fiance was scared to drive mine but wanted to buy a Mustang cause it wasn't as powerful!
    I would have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's about power at all but more about the design and ergonomics of the two cars. V6 cars have always sold more than V8's on both platforms. I think Women prefer the Mustangs basically because they are a more friendly happy design. The Camaro/Firebird is a more cramped unforgiving style. Kind of the 'slap you in the face and get out of my way' philosophy vs the 'I'm Cute' one.
    I think the V6 vs V8 thing goes right to cost vs desire. Most buyers look at the two price tags and those that don't care how fast it'll go pick the cheaper one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information