Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

4th gen vs 5th gen....

This is a discussion on 4th gen vs 5th gen.... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; << 426hp LS3 id have to say its a bit quicker than a stock 4th gen...

SIM w/ CGM Stripes
    2010 camaro 2SS/RS

<< 426hp LS3
    id have to say its a bit quicker than a stock 4th gen

SIM w/ CGM Stripes
    2010 camaro 2SS/RS

IMO it handles decently.. feels pretty well planted.. but it is a heavy car...
    not some awd euro thing

the stabilitarck is awesome btw, saw some one mentioned all the 400hp cars and ppl not knowing how to drive it.. you have to be pretty dumb to mess it up..

for those who have driven and not impressed...

on the L99's autos and LS3s, it was said if regular gas was rn in them the computer sets to adjust to that octane... there is a fuse you can pull after filling up on 93 and it resets the comp.. gets better response...

also how many miles on the car? untill 1500 didnt seem well broken in.. seemed to noticed a difference...after

was the traction on?
    shut it off and take it for a drive...
    owners have said it doesnt seem to bog down in the LS3 cars but also you better hang on... few ppl said you may find your self facing the other way or off the road lol.. and smoking through 3-4th gear

how are they slow?

they say what 5thgen will run 13.0
    some ppl have run high 12's on a stock car,

still better times than 4thgens were producing?
    i dont know the exact numbers but id guess 13.8-14's stock?
    i saw a 02 SlP run 13.2 soo..

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I guess people dont like how its not the raw power that these cars used to have... They felt like muscle cars and had little comfort to offer... Even tho i think my 02 is pretty comfortable its definately not as refined or as comfortable as my 10

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I guess my 01 Camaro could stand to be more comfortable but it aint bad. Don't know how the 2010's are yet. But IMHO my two 3rd gens were very comfortable for trips.. Drove my 89 Camaro across the country from Pittsburg to Seatle and never got a tired or sore ass.. @ 6'-2" and 265lbs very few cars I have ridden/driven in were as comfy as my 3rd gens.. I could put my foot on the foot rest and lock my knees strait. Can't say the same for my 4th gen but not too bad either. I have to recline the seat in any car because my head hits the roof too. So I'm almost always semi comfy. Anything smaller than an f-bod is a go-cart to me.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 20TEN_ss View Post
    << 426hp LS3
    id have to say its a bit quicker than a stock 4th gen
    On paper you would think. But from what I've seen with several track tests on the new camaro, as well as racing a few of them myself, it's not necessarily the case.
    There track times have been all over the place from low to mid 13's and mph varies as much as 105 to 110.
    Pretty comparable to a 4th gen in that respect.

IMO it handles decently.. feels pretty well planted.. but it is a heavy car...
    not some awd euro thing

the stabilitarck is awesome btw, saw some one mentioned all the 400hp cars and ppl not knowing how to drive it.. you have to be pretty dumb to mess it up..

for those who have driven and not impressed...

on the L99's autos and LS3s, it was said if regular gas was rn in them the computer sets to adjust to that octane... there is a fuse you can pull after filling up on 93 and it resets the comp.. gets better response...

also how many miles on the car? untill 1500 didnt seem well broken in.. seemed to noticed a difference...after

was the traction on?
    shut it off and take it for a drive...
    owners have said it doesnt seem to bog down in the LS3 cars but also you better hang on... few ppl said you may find your self facing the other way or off the road lol.. and smoking through 3-4th gear

how are they slow?

they say what 5thgen will run 13.0
    some ppl have run high 12's on a stock car,

still better times than 4thgens were producing?
    i dont know the exact numbers but id guess 13.8-14's stock?
    i saw a 02 SlP run 13.2 soo..
    I ran 12.8 at 109 with just lid and exhaust. Which is right around where my buddys stock 10 ss is.

SIM w/ CGM Stripes
    2010 camaro 2SS/RS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    On paper you would think. But from what I've seen with several track tests on the new camaro, as well as racing a few of them myself, it's not necessarily the case.
    There track times have been all over the place from low to mid 13's and mph varies as much as 105 to 110.
    Pretty comparable to a 4th gen in that respect.

are sure sure it was an ss? lol

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'm sure your 2SS/RS is a very nice and fast car and they have indeed grown on me. But, I've driven a 2SS/RS with a 6-speed myself and did get it into 6th gear and I did not notice in any way it being faster than my Z28. Yes, the car puts down greater numbers, but the bottom line is those extra couple hundred pounds hamper its acceleration.

This is the one I've driven.

Last edited by SiggyZ; 03-04-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I'm sure your 2SS/RS is a very nice and fast car and they have indeed grown on me. But, I've driven a 2SS/RS with a 6-speed myself and did get it into 6th gear and I did not notice in any way it being faster than my Z28. Yes, the car puts down greater numbers, but the bottom line is those extra couple hundred pounds hamper its acceleration.

This is the one I've driven.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    The two things I really dislike are 1. the weight of the car, and 2. the back side. Hopefully the z28 is improved and has more power. 5th gens should be leaving the 4th gens in the dust imo.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    The two things I really dislike are 1. the weight of the car, and 2. the back side. Hopefully the z28 is improved and has more power. 5th gens should be leaving the 4th gens in the dust imo.
    dry weight they are only 400 pounds heavier '
    i think what doesnt help them is the fact that they look a lot heavier then they are.

98' trans am

put some real wheels on the car and that will save a ton of weight...or even better...gm should offer a track pack option.

Uummm,,,,ya

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    5th gens should be leaving the 4th gens in the dust imo.

And that sir, hits the nail on the head. It's been 8 years since the last 4th gen. Plenty of time to refine a new model. Although it is extremely different in every way, with a completely different platform,,,,it's not setting the world on fire in the straight line department when compared to it's older brother.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

And that sir, hits the nail on the head. It's been 8 years since the last 4th gen. Plenty of time to refine a new model. Although it is extremely different in every way, with a completely different platform,,,,it's not setting the world on fire in the straight line department when compared to it's older brother.
    Because a majority of people dont care about straight line racing these days. If there only market was drag racers they would have sold 500 camaros maybe. They didnt market this car to be a straight line racer or it would have a live axle. It is fast around a track though, beating the STI, evo, mustang gt and gt500, challenger and cobalt SS. Basically anything in its price range

Its made to be a powerful gm car with a nice interior and ride

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    put some real wheels on the car and that will save a ton of weight...or even better...gm should offer a track pack option.
    Now you're talking

Strip the thing of all the unnecessary things us gear heads don't care for, like A/C, power windows, locks, seats, shave about 500 lbs. from it and add some performance type options and they might sell a whole lot more.

I know one thing, it sure would make for a much easier car to work on with much less to go wrong, especially after warranty is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Because people care less about straight line racing these days.

Which is why I don't seriously consider a new car from any manufacture. I don't care about turning or stopping, and don't care for A/C or any other power doodad. Don't like big wheels, or anything resembling a pro touring theme.

But unfortunately it's the sad world we live in now, people have gotten soft. As a result the market has to adjust.

So I'll stick to my 40 year old muscle, you guys can enjoy your creature comforts.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The majority of people have never cared about straight line racing. The majority of people have never cared about racing, period. The Camaro has always held a tradition of being a great drag car. That's part of it's heritage. Drag racing and cruising.

Because a majority of people dont care about straight line racing these days. If there only market was drag racers they would have sold 500 camaros maybe. They didnt market this car to be a straight line racer or it would have a live axle. It is fast around a track though, beating the STI, evo, mustang gt and gt500, challenger and cobalt SS. Basically anything in its price range

Its made to be a powerful gm car with a nice interior and ride

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Which is why I don't seriously consider a new car from any manufacture. I don't care about turning or stopping, and don't care for A/C or any other power doodad. Don't like big wheels, or anything resembling a pro touring theme.

But unfortunately it's the sad world we live in now, people have gotten soft. As a result the market has to adjust.

So I'll stick to my 40 year old muscle, you guys can enjoy your creature comforts.
    I want my cars to handle and stop great aswell, which is why my suspension mods werent setup for drag and i had upgraded brakes on my T/A. Yes i like straight line racing but i also want my car to handle and stop aswell. IRS is superior in everyway other than better straight line ets. Most people dont spend 30-40k on a second car therefore the camaro needs comfort in order for GM to make money off of it.

Personally i wont buy any new cars from GM, just another way for the government to have control of you. To know where you are, to have the ability to shut down your car if need be. GM has black boxes in every vehicle and onstar into almost every vehicle which gives them control and the ability to monitor you.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 03-04-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Personally i wont buy any new cars from GM, just another way for the government to have control of you. To know where you are, to have the ability to shut down your car if need be. GM has black boxes in every vehicle and onstar into almost every vehicle which gives them control and the ability to monitor you.

Ya, now that part is a bit scary.

98' trans am

I want my cars to handle and stop great aswell, which is why my suspension mods werent setup for drag and i had upgraded brakes on my T/A. Yes i like straight line racing but i also want my car to handle and stop aswell. IRS is superior in everyway other than better straight line ets. Most people dont spend 30-40k on a second car therefore the camaro needs comfort in order for GM to make money off of it.

99+ f-bodies have black boxes too.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information