Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

4th gen vs 5th gen....

This is a discussion on 4th gen vs 5th gen.... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS Regardless of powetrain, and I don't care if a 5th could crawl circles around a 4th ...

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Regardless of powetrain, and I don't care if a 5th could crawl circles around a 4th gen, I am just not in love with the 5th gens. The looks kill it for me. When the verts hit the market, that may be a different story for me though.

I would also go for a Challenger over a 5th gen Camaro, just preference for me. I would not go for a newer Mustang over a new Camaro though.

All this is pointless though, because my next car will be a Vette anyways
    Ya I'm kinda waiting to see if the verts change the look at all. I know one thing, it sure will help with visibility when the tops down Because I couldn't see a damn thing riding in one of the hard tops last year.

I'd like a vette too again, maybe the first of the 01-02 Z06's would be nice. That's about it for me as far as new ones go, I just don't care for the looks of them anymore. They became unpractacle when the family came along so I don't have much use for them anymore.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I'd stick with my 4th gen. I test drove a 5th gen ss auto. Not very impressive in acceleration or in handling. It reminded me of a 60s sedan when cornering. The styling is ok from the front and sides. The best point of the car is that the interior is very comfortable for a Camaro.
    Like a few said above if I had to buy a new muscle car it would be a Challenger. The RT is not that fast, but it feels and sounds like it is. I saw a plum one yesterday with the white hockey stick graphic on the sides. The best retro ride in my opinion.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    If you didnt have your 4th gen now .. Would you buy a 5th gen over another 4th gen ???
    I want both but the wifey says, "NO!!" I have too many toys and unfinished projects..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

If you didnt have your 4th gen now .. Would you buy a 5th gen over another 4th gen ???
    Yes, unless it was a CETA, 35th SS, a WS6 or SS. Of course they would have to be in immaculate shape. I saw the GM Performance Magazine cover today with ar ed 2010 SS slammed and supercharged. That thing looked badass! Of course if I could afford a 5th gen, I would consider a Vette.....

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Yes, unless it was a CETA, 35th SS, a WS6 or SS. Of course they would have to be in immaculate shape. I saw the GM Performance Magazine cover today with ar ed 2010 SS slammed and supercharged. That thing looked badass! Of course if I could afford a 5th gen, I would consider a Vette.....
    Yeah i just picked up that magazine and i gotta say with slicks and skinnys in the front i got to say they look so much better then the stupid 20 inch rims they come with

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I can't stand the T-tops personally. Pain in the ass to take in and out and store away. Running errands and locking the car up numerous times just gets old after a while.
    For me it's either a solid roof car or a vert.
    We have a vert and a T-top currently. I never bother with taking them out anymore. I'd rather push a button to burn the top of my head
    I'd still have a pair of verts if one didn't get totalled. Couldn't find a suitable replacement, so I'm stuck with this stupid T-top car
    X2.....t tops are dead...name a modern car...circa 2000s + that have them.....id get a 5th gen...id prefer a z/28 vert if they come out. I would ditch the rims of course. Lower it a bit and be ready to roll...the idea of not having to shit my pants in fear for every mod or when I launch at the track. Not having to carry a box to pick up my trans incase it shits, not having bleeding ears from the rattle and noises, not needing to have a chiropractor on speed dial for everytime I ride in my car..and not having a cheap feeling interior sounds pretty good ....I love my 4th gen...but it has its place..and is full of headaches

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Thanks getting a lot of good responses.. Here is a different question but along the same lines .. Should GM have kinda stayed with the 4th gen look or should the 5th look nothing like any Camaro before it?? ..

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

i like the new camaro from the outside. I havnt been in an ss but i was in a v6 and did not like the interior at all! i also found out that in the M6 version the computer reduces the throttle by 30% when shifting to prolong clutch/tranny life. that sucks. also heavier and sloppy handling. i drove a challenger srt8 with the m6, it was fast but a bit boatlike for a sports car. If i had money to buy a modern muscle i wouldnt. i would just make my z faster.

and the new maro needs t-tops.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Yes indeed! I would not trade or sell my 4th gen for one, but hopefully when (if) my finances can hold out I may one day be lucky to own a 5th gen. The trick will be in storing these cars (that you don't get rid of!).

Thanks getting a lot of good responses.. Here is a different question but along the same lines .. Should GM have kinda stayed with the 4th gen look or should the 5th look nothing like any Camaro before it?? ..
    No,,,,GM needed to go with a retro look and follow suit that all the other manufactures have been doing for years. It's been successfull for ford and chrysler both.
    GM ran into a couple of problems though that has somewhat spoiled it for them.

The 5th gen just isn't retro enough, it barely has any cues from the 69 it was supposed to represent. If I wasn't told it was supposed to mimic a 69 in the first place, I'd have a hard time figuring out what it was supposed to look like.

The other problem with it is GM simply waited too long to bring the camaro back into market. Meanwhile Ford and Chrysler enjoyed ruling the pony market.

The camaro is also no longer an F-body platform. This makes it more expensive which gets to my other point......everyones complaint is cost.

I honestly think all the hype will slow down. Although camaro sales topped mustang last year, I don't think that will last long.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Just in suspention alone the 5th gen has all other production Camaros beat imho. I'd put a 4 wheel independant against a pickup axle car any day of the week. My nearly 20 yr old z34 will out corner my Camaro without even trying... That's with just a lousy 7" wheel too..

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Yes, unless it was a CETA, 35th SS, a WS6 or SS. Of course they would have to be in immaculate shape. ....

And that's the catch. Very hard to find now as even the newest 4th gens are approaching 10 years old. They have been run hard and put away wet. Hacked and cut on, modified, raced, engine swaps etc...
    Which is what makes a new car appealing. You know what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Just in suspention alone the 5th gen has all other production Camaros beat imho. I'd put a 4 wheel independant against a pickup axle car any day of the week. My nearly 20 yr old z34 will out corner my Camaro without even trying... That's with just a lousy 7" wheel too..
    I don't know, it appears Nascar is still doing pretty good with truck arm suspension and solid axles.

GM can take that independent and shove it. Leave it in the vette. Had one, been there done that.
    They are just too expensive to work on and repair. Half shafts are weak and it's part of why it made the new camaro platform so expensive to buy in the first place. I don't buy a car to zip around corners though. I find my solid axle cars carry me around corners as fast as I care to go anyway. I've never rated a car on it's ability to turn or stop, but that's just me. I still drive manual steer and manual drum brake cars and find them pleasurable.

Tell ya what, drive a 4,000 lbs 56 chevy nomad and manual drum brakes, manual steering, no sway bars, and bias ply tires,,,,then jump in a 4th gen and tell me how they handle

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I don't know, it appears Nascar is still doing pretty good with truck arm suspension and solid axles.

GM can take that independent and shove it. Leave it in the vette. Had one, been there done that.
    They are just too expensive to work on and repair. Half shafts are weak and it's part of why it made the new camaro platform so expensive to buy in the first place. I don't buy a car to zip around corners though. I find my solid axle cars carry me around corners as fast as I care to go anyway. I've never rated a car on it's ability to turn or stop, but that's just me. I still drive manual steer and manual drum brake cars and find them pleasurable.

Tell ya what, drive a 4,000 lbs 56 chevy nomad and manual drum brakes, manual steering, no sway bars, and bias ply tires,,,,then jump in a 4th gen and tell me how they handle
    Been there done that 66 tempest 326 drums on all 4 corners had to use two feet to bring her down..
    Oh and I forgot the 65 Olds 4dr f-85 with a "Jetfire" 330 slip slide powerglide was the same way two feet to stop her..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-21-2010 at 05:16 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Been there done that 66 tempest 326 drums on all 4 corners had to use two feet to bring her down..
    Oh and I forgot the 65 Olds 4dr f-85 with a "Jetfire" 330 slip slide powerglide was the same way two feet to stop her..
    Bias plys used to make the best black marks from burnout too imho..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-21-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Oh and I forgot the 65 Olds 4dr f-85 330 slip slide powerglide was the same way two feet to stop her..
    then I guess you can understand where I am coming from. After driving something like that, when I jump in our 4th gen I feel like I'm in a sports car. It's all a matter of how you want to look at things.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

yeah as long as there's banking and they don't have to turn right then left then right

Bias plys used to make the best black marks from burnout too imho..
    They still do

yeah as long as there's banking and they don't have to turn right then left then right
    They do road courses now, haven't ya heard???

Or watch some of the vintage SCCA racing. Nothing cooler than seeing solid axle vintage mustangs and camaros hanging their tails out. Those guys can wheel a car.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

They do road courses now, haven't ya heard???

Or watch some of the vintage SCCA racing. Nothing cooler than seeing solid axle vintage mustangs and camaros hanging their tails out. Those guys can wheel a car.
    Oh I know it's just not that often I see them run road courses. Every one I did watch was hilarious constant spin outs and such .. I'm an F1 guy @ heart..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information