Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

4th Gen SS Camaro - A Good Investment...?

This is a discussion on 4th Gen SS Camaro - A Good Investment...? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Alex212 BlwnCamaro I hear ya...When I bought mine I also figured that the car may increase or ...

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Alex212 View Post
    BlwnCamaro I hear ya...When I bought mine I also figured that the car may increase or more than likely sustain in value which is why I opted for a low mileage car. But not to the degree it's the main reason for buying it. Buy to enjoy first and if times dictate maybe you'll even make a little money on it. With that in mind an SS would appreciate more than a Z28, but with low mileage an SS commands premium $$...I bought an 01 Z28 with 28K mi for under $10K...I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can and when the time comes to sell if I make my money back great, if not Oh well....
    Amen to that, I love owning these cars period. These cars were always my dream car so it's like living a dream to me. I never fantasized to much about having ferrari cause i couldnt afford that, I love these cars for any amount of money, but it just so happens they are very affordable and have become even more so with fluctuating market. Enjoy your car, Peace
    Jesse

Red
    2001 Camaro Z28

These are "fun cars" to own and drive...and you could have one for minimum $$...Plus for the true car enthusiast you can turn your own wrenches on them....I like Porches and Ferrari's too, but I can imagine what parts cost and what they're like to work on. I'll stick to the good ole American F-Body...most bang for the buck!

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Alex212 View Post
    These are "fun cars" to own and drive...and you could have one for minimum $$...Plus for the true car enthusiast you can turn your own wrenches on them....I like Porches and Ferrari's too, but I can imagine what parts cost and what they're like to work on. I'll stick to the good ole American F-Body...most bang for the buck!
    yea some porsche you have to lower out engine just to change the spark plugs!

I'll definately stick to Camaro! I love wrenching on mine and take pride in smoking higher dollar cars in it!

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    plus for the record they quit making fbody in 02 because of closing canada build plant and temporary lose of camaro trademark to canada based of large loan that was given to gm to keep plant in canada. The safety standards needed to be upgraded for new generation and after dispute with canada gm had no where feasable to build new gen at time and canada got pissed because closing of plant hurt small local enonomy and they held name trademark until gm payed of 20 million dollar loan which wasnt due until 2017. Many people dont know this but its the truth. It wasnt just sales it was much more complicated than that. Do you really think that car doesnt have a following big enough to buy? Think about it we are all loving and talking about a car thats been discontinued for years and foaming at the mouth for the new one. The Fbody has much love and gm goes to great lengths to fullfill our desires with a new Camaro that has latest technology from vette and will eventually get supercharged ls9, truly legendary times to be alive to see the fastest and most powerful production camaro come out soon. I think the introduction of the new one will further cement our 4th gens in the pages of legendary car history.
    I agree, a lot of untold history about the Camaro SS. A lot of shit the pubic, we have no idea about it.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    I agree, a lot of untold history about the Camaro SS. A lot of shit the pubic, we have no idea about it.

Yes they didnt want public to know details cause its kinda complicated and companies always want public relations kept simple and to reflect on them in the best light. so its more simple to just tell everyone that they werent selling enough cars which is BS.

BlownCamaro -

Good info to know that. I recall GM blamed it on the cataletic converter space under passenger floor. They needed a new robot to rebuild that area!

Sounds like a screwed up deal and I always felt 4th gen Camaro SS was a valid body style. I saw no reason to change the car at all.

FWIW, the new 2010 SS, I think it looks like shit. Way to plain looking, no curves and not much 'pop'.

That is my opinion.
    Last edited by Raymond; 06-10-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    yea some porsche you have to lower out engine just to change the spark plugs!
    hey man, we had one of the newer ford escapes come into the shop hte other day. it has a mazda 4-banger under the hood. and just looking at the stupid design, you have to drop the engine about 8 inches to get at the starter.

car manufacturers are messed up. these stupid designs just make my life harder.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

So your saying V8 American sport cars will be come extinct like the Dinasaur?
    Extinct like the English language.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    hey man, we had one of the newer ford escapes come into the shop hte other day. it has a mazda 4-banger under the hood. and just looking at the stupid design, you have to drop the engine about 8 inches to get at the starter.

car manufacturers are messed up. these stupid designs just make my life harder.

Yes there are some totally obsolete and bogus engineering mistakes that exist in many cars. I'm not surprised with Ford they are total junk, im sorry mustang guys im just being honest and am certified mechanic and I wont even work on ford if at all possible. To me The old ford stuff was the best its ever been like the 302 and 351 but they are slow anyways unless you build them up alot. I dont know what they are thinking with mod motor.

Ford Guys on Chevy Website Me-

Dont get too mad mustang guys I know some of them haul ass, everyone is entitled to their own educated opinion and im talking from experience and have owned 5 mustangs and have a 95 5.0 currently in stable at shop just prefer chevy. Peace
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-10-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

BlownCamaro -

Good info to know that. I recall GM blamed it on the cataletic converter space under passenger floor. They needed a new robot to rebuild that area!

Sounds like a screwed up deal and I always felt 4th gen Camaro SS was a valid body style. I saw no reason to change the car at all.

FWIW, the new 2010 SS, I think it looks like shit. Way to plain looking, no curves and not much 'pop'.

That is my opinion.
    Yea I like the new camaro just want to see one in person. Im just glad they have a new one to silence the ford camp. I'm gona get one asap so I can be one of first shops to start modding one. I'm sure there will be higher budget places that beat me to punch, but i'm gona be right there with all my previous gen III experiance and gona tear one down right away and build it back up cammed and ported and go represent at the track with my fully built 4th gen and the new one!

Black
    02 Z28

BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT! -I don't care which one or how much $$$, just buy it!
    I bought my '02 Z28 because I knew it'd be fast as hell, then on the way home I ran against a new GT and had an edge on him.
    Yes my car is almost 8 years old, sure it could use some TLC on the exterior, but it'll still run with or beat the competition (some exceptions of course) + its a lot cheaper.
    So buy it, worry about the dollar signs later.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I knew i wanted a Camaro when i saw one when i was like 8 in a parking lot. Almost 9 years later i got 1, love it!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

If you're looking to buy a 1998 - 2002 SS purely as an investment, I would caution you to think twice about that. Quite simply, there doesn't seem to be sufficient demand for "collectible" domestic sports cars to justify a wildly appreciated selling price.

Great example: Consider the original ZR1 Corvettes. Amazing vehicle....the cars offer performance that still sits pretty high on the food chain of domestic sports cars, very limited production and there are a number of Corvette die hards out there that should be chomping at the bit to get their hands on one of these. The simple reality is that those cars that sold from 1990 - 1995 at a MSRP of $60,590 (average) still aren't getting $40K even when they have VERY low miles and are still in showroom condition.

From an investment standpoint, if you invested $60K in an S&P 500 Index fund (gross of fees and assuming there was no tracking error) in 1993, your portfolio would've been worth $264,482.12 at the end of 2007. Keep in mind, this takes into account the market downturn we experienced from 2000 - 2002. In short, historically, a well diversified equity portfolio should net a long term total return (appreciation + dividends) between 8 - 10%. This option certainly seems to make more sense from an investment standpoint.

One final (and possibly the most important) thought: If you're a car guy and you're interested in picking up a sharp-looking, performance-minded contemporary American muscle car, a 1998 - 2002 SS (or any other f-body for that matter) would be a GREAT choice. Personally, I love the fact that as the years pass, there will be fewer and fewer of these cars on the road and this simply makes ours even more unique.

I believe the SS models will in fact hold some sort of collector status in years to come. It's just too early to say right now. The car are just still too young at this point.

I see it this way. I don't believe the gas prices will reflect on muscle car prices or availability. Been through this in the early 70's,,,,when all those muscle cars were selling for dirt cheap. Now look at them. People that sold them are kicking themselves in the ass,,,,some of those cars have reached 1/4 million dollar status now and still climbing. Even todays $4 a gallon gas has not reflected on the muscle car market of the 60's and 70's. But just like the muscle cars of then,,,the 4th gens now are on a price decline,,,I feel this will level off much like the 60's and 70's car did,,,and then as they age the prices will start to climb again as they get older and harder to find.
    I personally don't worry about gas prices dictating what I want to drive.
    I never jumped on that bandwagon back then and I don't plan to start now either. Gas prices are climbing and it's starting to look like the early 70's all over again. People are selling and trading in all the big V8 and Suv's etc...

Only time will tell whether the SS camaro will become collectable. It's just too hard to tell now. This car needs to reach 20-30 years old and then see what happens. But one things for sure,,,,if there were any performance oriented collectable cars from the 90's the 4th gens certainly fit that bill.

It was just pure luck that I held onto the junk I have. I never cared what they might be worth. I bought them purely for enjoyment. But hey,,,,since they appreciate faster than a 401K I'm not complaining
    Bottom line though, just enjoy the cars now. If you want one for investment you may be waiting another 15-20 years. Shucks I'll probable be dead by then anyway,,,lol.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    If you're looking to buy a 1998 - 2002 SS purely as an investment, I would caution you to think twice about that. Quite simply, there doesn't seem to be sufficient demand for "collectible" domestic sports cars to justify a wildly appreciated selling price.

Great example: Consider the original ZR1 Corvettes. Amazing vehicle....the cars offer performance that still sits pretty high on the food chain of domestic sports cars, very limited production and there are a number of Corvette die hards out there that should be chomping at the bit to get their hands on one of these. The simple reality is that those cars that sold from 1990 - 1995 at a MSRP of $60,590 (average) still aren't getting $40K even when they have VERY low miles and are still in showroom condition.

From an investment standpoint, if you invested $60K in an S&P 500 Index fund (gross of fees and assuming there was no tracking error) in 1993, your portfolio would've been worth $264,482.12 at the end of 2007. Keep in mind, this takes into account the market downturn we experienced from 2000 - 2002. In short, historically, a well diversified equity portfolio should net a long term total return (appreciation + dividends) between 8 - 10%. This option certainly seems to make more sense from an investment standpoint.

One final (and possibly the most important) thought: If you're a car guy and you're interested in picking up a sharp-looking, performance-minded contemporary American muscle car, a 1998 - 2002 SS (or any other f-body for that matter) would be a GREAT choice. Personally, I love the fact that as the years pass, there will be fewer and fewer of these cars on the road and this simply makes ours even more unique.
    These arent overpriced 90's Zr1's though that is a horrible comparison. Dont know if you have looked around but there are some smoking deals on some SS"s right now. Like I said scared or broke people that are giving them away almost. Or these cars need a little tlc like I stated. In my opinion if you pay a mere fraction of value for car you cant go wrong for a keeper or investment. But the near future will tell the difference, the whole damn market may crash if things dont change. LOL

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I've loved them since before I was 18 - and I was 18 in 1973!
    Speaking of dinasaurs :x

Everyone needs to get off this "fuel will be gone one day blah blah blah" bullshit. This is the exact same thing morons bitched about 30+ years ago when the economy killed the big block hot rods. Sure, the cost of gas has risen a shitload since then, but we STILL have the same gas they were pumping from the ground back then.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Speaking of dinasaurs :x

Everyone needs to get off this "fuel will be gone one day blah blah blah" bullshit. This is the exact same thing morons bitched about 30+ years ago when the economy killed the big block hot rods. Sure, the cost of gas has risen a shitload since then, but we STILL have the same gas they were pumping from the ground back then.
    It's spelled dinosaur.

And, yes, I remember the 1st gas "crisis" back in 73. That's when I picked up a 69 Camaro SS 396. I've been in love with them (67's in particular) since before then but couldn't afford one til then when the price bottomed out.

I still have a 67 in addition to the 89 and the 2 LS1 cars.

Question

BlwnCamaro is correct -- 90-95 ZR1s should be sold higher than they were purchased.

My buddy owns a mint 2002 yellow Dodge Viper RT/10. John suggested I spend extra 20k for a Dodge Viper RT/10. I say 4th Gen SS Camaro is a better buy for the $.

What you guys say?
    Last edited by Raymond; 06-14-2008 at 03:21 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

It all depends on what you want. Viper starts out with a larger cid engine and more horsepower and torque. It also weighs a bit less. Mods are a bit more expensive too. As you can see initial investement is quite a bit more, but it's a more exclusive club.

BUT: It is a true sportscar where as F-bodies are a sports coupe.

Like I stated, it depends on what you ultimately what you want to do with the vehicle.

Red
    2000 TRANS AM WS6 RAM AIR

Hey Guys, I am an Old Newb, been a member since 2000 but not active since O5, Thought I should get back into it some since I own both a 2000 Camaro SS and a 2000 WS6 T/A with a Vortech Supercharger.

The Camaro SS is Stock other than a Cat back, Air filter and Tune.

I purchased the Camaro for my Wife and now I am just using it for going 14 miles a day back and forth to work.

It Really is nice car to drive, gets decent fuel economy has Plenty of Power, Handles Great, in fact the car just does everything WELL!

I think it is just one of those models that fell through the Cracks of the American Performance Revolution, and People don't realize that it is a Corvette in Sheeps clothing for 1/2 the money.

I have been trying to sell the car on and off now for 2 years and NO LUCK and I don't understand Why!

If any one can fill me in Please Feel Free.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...39#post9572439

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information