A-4 shift handle ?

This is a discussion on A-4 shift handle ? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 2002 SS Camaro A-4 transmission. I would like to replace the shifter handle. With a "T" handle ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

A-4 shift handle ?

I have a 2002 SS Camaro A-4 transmission. I would like to replace the shifter handle. With a "T" handle shifter from a 2002 Firebird. Can it be done & is it an easy swap? Would like some feedback from anyone who has done this. The dealer tells me there are two handles for it. And it depends on what transmission you have N36 or NP5. I think the only difference is the N36 is vinyl wrap and NP5 is leather wrap. Big difference in price vinyl $25. leather
    $169. Thanks for your help in advance...

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

here man, check these shifters out http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ath=235_79_419 ...its a pretty easy "mod"

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by SSMichael View Post
    I have a 2002 SS Camaro A-4 transmission. I would like to replace the shifter handle. With a "T" handle shifter from a 2002 Firebird. Can it be done & is it an easy swap? Would like some feedback from anyone who has done this. The dealer tells me there are two handles for it. And it depends on what transmission you have N36 or NP5. I think the only difference is the N36 is vinyl wrap and NP5 is leather wrap. Big difference in price vinyl $25. leather
    $169. Thanks for your help in advance...
    very simple. on the front [dashboard side] of the shifter handle is a clip which looks like a staple. use a small blade screwdriver and pry it out. the handle comes right off. i used an aftermarket t-handle very similar to the firebird's and it works great.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks for the help...I still would like to know if the Firebird " T " handle will work? here are the GM part # 12563171 or 12563172

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by SSMichael View Post
    Thanks for the help...I still would like to know if the Firebird " T " handle will work? here are the GM part # 12563171 or 12563172
    yeah, it'll work, firebirds and camaros are practically the same car...its just a matter of do you wanna spend $20 for vinyl or $120 leather...maybe buy the vinyl shifter 1st to see if it works out or not, cause then if it doesnt , your not out $120...and if it does work out for you, return the vinyl one and get the leather shifter...that's just my 2 cents

Pewter
    99 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    here man, check these shifters out http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ath=235_79_419 ...its a pretty easy "mod"
    the pistol grip shifter "2106d" model is only for standard trannys right? any of those pistol grip shifters for an a4? I dont think i saw any....

Pewter
    99 Z/28

opps i see the adapter now... does the pistol grip have a 2" tail? what do they mean by that?

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Found this photo for you. Found it in this thread under post #219. You can PM KC&97TA and ask him about the shifter. I would be curious what he tells you. I have been considering this doing this as well.

nbm Camaro's unite

2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by 28Marcos View Post
    opps i see the adapter now... does the pistol grip have a 2" tail? what do they mean by that?
    if you see the picture for the MBA automatic shifter adapter, the blue shifter on there has that extra bottom part witch they call a "tail"...the adapter kit only works with a 2" shifter with a tail on the bottom...not sure the pistol grip shifter needs that adapter kit or can even be used on an A4...pretty sure those pistol grip shifters are only for M6 tranny's...good question though, you should call WS6 store and ask them if it works for A4 tranny's and if they need the shifter adapter

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Found this photo for you. Found it in this thread under post #219. You can PM KC&97TA and ask him about the shifter. I would be curious what he tells you. I have been considering this doing this as well.

nbm Camaro's unite

Click for full size
    that looks like mine. can't tell if that's GM or aftermarket though. but yes the firebird and camaro shifters are the same, the handles interchange. the shifter shaft has a plunger to release from park etc., the camaro handle has a button that pushes straight down to release the lock, the t-handle style has the button on the end which slides across the plunger like a wedge to push the plunger down. much nicer feel imo.

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    that looks like mine. can't tell if that's GM or aftermarket though. but yes the firebird and camaro shifters are the same, the handles interchange. the shifter shaft has a plunger to release from park etc., the camaro handle has a button that pushes straight down to release the lock, the t-handle style has the button on the end which slides across the plunger like a wedge to push the plunger down. much nicer feel imo.
    thats the gm shifter, have the same one in my t/a...i would say your opinion is fact, in my opinion ,haha

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks to everyone that's the feedback I was looking for..Thanks

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

I have a NBM 02 Camaro A4 with the T handle shifter, and love it!! Look on ebay for the T handle, that is where I got mine fairly cheap, and a quick mod. I get looks all the time at shows.. "Is that a T shifter? I only thought Firebirds have thoes."
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

nbm Camaro's unite

Click for full size
    That's My Car... now I'm kind of embarrased for not vacumeeing it before posting pictures.

That T-Handle is off a 97 Trans Am, simple swap, remove the retaining staple, the Camaro button slides off, drop the TA one on, replace the staple... that's it... I can't tell if it's leather or vinial, but I'm thinking it's leather, there's a leather one for a 2000 TA on EBAY right now!

The seats are also from my 97 Trans Am, hell of alot more comfortable IMHO than the Camaro seats, I removed the wireing and air lines from the TA as well, the power connector to power the lumbar and side support was the same as the Camaro, then I just used some wire loom and ran the wireing infront of the seat belts and under the Camaro Console, some day I'll put it under the carpet were it should be, along with the QTP wire...

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Why was my post deleted? I have over 100 posts and been here more than 3 months.

I was only offering him one at a better price than a stealership.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

This is not the for sale section. Either refer to posts there or take it to PM's.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    This is not the for sale section. Either refer to posts there or take it to PM's.
    Will do.

Nicely done!

Thread Information