Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

345 hp camaro???

This is a discussion on 345 hp camaro??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by slimss slp blackwing and cme or dual dual exhaust are low budget pieces???? How do you figure ...

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    slp blackwing and cme or dual dual exhaust are low budget pieces???? How do you figure that??? If that was the case why would have GM ever team up with them in the first place??? And as far as the Corvette goes its in a completely different catagory when youre talking about pony cars
    You missed the point. In your response you are saying you cant use that stuff on a Corvette because its a different class of car. Who f^cking cares what class it is because it uses the same engine! If the parts ACTUALLY worked more Corvettes would have that stuff on them and they would have had a factory option like the SS. Think Z06 for a minute, see any SLP stuff on them? Nope..............

The category of car has NOTHING to do with it when they use the same engine. If it works in a Camaro it would work in a Corvette. If SLP had such a wonderful know how and what not GM would have said "Hell, we should do this to our Corvettes! We dont need a better set of heads and cam, we can just use this exhaust and intake stuff and get an extra 50hp!" After all we are talking 35 in the Camaro's corner from the Z28 to the top of the hill 345hp version. Right?

Why does any manufacturer team up with another company? Mostly marketing and in this case you bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Let's not get too worked up here boys

I think the SLP Blackwing air lid is the best quality air lid ever produced for our cars (in my opinion of course). This is why they fetch upwards of $300 used. Granted, they are a collector's item, but the quality of them is top notch to boot. SLP definitely did that right.

I think the misconception with SLP is about their aftermarket parts and claims (HP) such as their headers. Also, a lot of people do not like their exhaust tone with LT's so they immediately start bashing them. I have a few of their parts and I've had no issues with them other than the smooth bellows not fitting properly and I had to trim it back when I had an air lid on my car. That's pretty typical with all of those types of items though.

Overall though I think their prices are high and their customer service is less than great. Some say it plain right sucks. I fortunately never had to find out first-hand so I take the words of others with a grain of salt.
    Blackwing is, the regular SLP is a turd because I have one.

My friends 2005 GTO has the SLP headers and they were horrible to put on. Fitment sucked, they sound like ass, they were WAY over priced compared to say a nice set of Kooks, and they are low quality and are in my opinion lower than Pace Setters.

I hate to be such a downer but come on guys.........see it for what it really is.

Well,,,,you can lead a horse to water but.......

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well,,,,you can lead a horse to water but.......
    Get off your high horse (get it? Lead to water? hahaha) with this crap. I know some other members who have SLP products and guess what? They feel the same way.

There is a reason its popular mostly with 4th gen F-body cars. Reason? The cars are cheap as are their products. You cant compare them to Lingenfelter or someone as such.

The new 5th gen ZL SLP cars I can more so than the 4th gens.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

I think you missed the point and are over thinking this whole slp thing, Of course you could use slp stuf on a car that has the same engine, Sounds like you are saying the slp upgrades we are talking about are worthless. And as far as the corvette goes isnt the z o6 an upgrade from a base corvette??? Just like an ss is from a z28??? Do you think GM is gonna offer just a hi flow air filter and and hi flow exhaust to a corvette and then want 20000 grand more????

Exactly Slim, it's obvious TLS has completely missed the point.

TLS,,,,,The whole reason SLP teamed up with GM was to give us an SS camaro, something that had been lacking in the market. They also gave us Firehawks, even back in 3rd generation production. It had nothing to do with corvette, not sure how that came into the discussion, but whatever....

You are really grasping at things that just aren't justifiable. Trying to show how quick your car goes that has obviously had wrenches turned on it and compare to a bone stocker is hardly a case for discussion. And then make excuses for it was somewhat comical Go back and re-read the thread, I think you missed half of it.....

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Hey, were just rehashing and old issue. Back in the 60's and 70's the car companies underrated HP because of Insurance regulations. 426 Hemi's, LS6 Chevelle's, Z28 Camaro's with the solid lifter 11:1 CR 780 Holley Carb engine rated at 290 HP. WTF ? So today we have the EPA. Same problem, same solution. Just be happy we have horse power again. People my age remember the 70's and 80's when muscle cars had 175 hp. Take a 1976 - 1981 Corvette, look at the performance numbers. A 2011 Honda Accord could beat those cars in just about every performance test and get 30+ MPG. Some say they miss the 60's muscle car era, I say we are living the dream. Overall performance and mileage. How can you beat it ?
    I totally agree with you!! You hit that right on the head.. Milage and performace. I have a 2001 z28 ss cam'd and full exhaust with all the bolt on's and acheiving 29 m.p.g..

Ray Charles blue

I think you missed the point and are over thinking this whole slp thing, Of course you could use slp stuf on a car that has the same engine, Sounds like you are saying the slp upgrades we are talking about are worthless. And as far as the corvette goes isnt the z o6 an upgrade from a base corvette??? Just like an ss is from a z28??? Do you think GM is gonna offer just a hi flow air filter and and hi flow exhaust to a corvette and then want 20000 grand more????
    The SLP upgrades are not worthless but if you think you are getting 40hp out of them I must fly the B.S. flag.

3550 with 345hp = 10.29 hp/liter
    3550 with 305hp = 11.64 hp/liter

Lets take a look at the GTO.

3770 with 350hp = 10.77 hp/liter
    3770 with 400hp = 9.43 hp/liter

There is abigger difference between LS1 GTO's and LS2 GTO's on average than there is with LS1 cars vs those with the SLP options.

No..........the Z06 is FAR more than just HP difference back in the early 2000's and it wasnt 20k more than the coupe so check your figures. LS7 compared to the LS2/3 then yes.. The SS is not as much as an upgrade to the Z28 as the Z06 is to the base coupe. lol Z28 engine and SS engine are the same. Coupe and Z06 do not share the same engine.

My point is this. If the SS is that much better as far as HP with their products GM could have skipped changing the cam, heads, and pistons (differnet alloy) to make the Z06 they would have simply kept the FCR suspension and just added the intake and exhaust system. Thats my point. If it really worked they would have used that instead because of a few reasons.

1: Cheaper than redesigning and producing heads, cams, blocks (thank the LS6 for the good block some F-bodies came with), and pistons.
    2: It is far easier to just put that stuff on than run a completely different engine with tune.
    3: It would have been a way to market the Corvette to people who think SLP products are touched by the hands of God himself.

Exactly Slim, it's obvious TLS has completely missed the point.

TLS,,,,,The whole reason SLP teamed up with GM was to give us an SS camaro, something that had been lacking in the market. They also gave us Firehawks, even back in 3rd generation production. It had nothing to do with corvette, not sure how that came into the discussion, but whatever....

You are really grasping at things that just aren't justifiable. Trying to show how quick your car goes that has obviously had wrenches turned on it and compare to a bone stocker is hardly a case for discussion. And then make excuses for it was somewhat comical Go back and re-read the thread, I think you missed half of it.....
    I never said it had anything to do with the Corvette. I meantioned if it really worked that well GM would have rolled it out to other lines within their division rather than just F-bodies. It came to the discussion because it it worked with one GM unit it would work with another. Just like the nameplate of SRT with Dodge. Its the same thing and somehow I think you have sniffed perhaps too many tail pipes to see that conclusion. Same with Ford and the SVT and Shelby versions.

By the way, the later F-body (2000-2002) manifolds flow better than the 98-99 and are close to being shortys themselves. That is why I was saying stock for stock on a 2000+ they dont do barely anything.

I didnt miss anything. You all like to blow smoke up one anothers butts about how great SLP products are and when someone brings anything against you all of you tend to band together and talk down to that person.

No offense but some of you have zero cognitive ability.

Remember when I said something about how the 325hp 396ci was a dog? All you could do is prove how great it was because they were modified in drag cars setting records.

What cracks me up TLS, is that you seem to comprehend that a lid and a catback exhaust are worthwhile HP upgrades on any 4th gen LS,,,,,,
    But when they are installed on an SS or a Firehawk they don't do anything??

That's what this entire thread has been about bud. Somehow you got lost in there.

Ray Charles blue

What cracks me up TLS, is that you seem to comprehend that a lid and a catback exhaust are worthwhile HP upgrades on any 4th gen LS,,,,,,
    But when they are installed on an SS or a Firehawk they don't do anything??

That's what this entire thread has been about bud. Somehow you got lost in there.
    Not that they dont do anything, but it surely is not worth 40 hp. Again, why would GM even use an LS2 (50 hp over an LS1 if that) if they could get the 40 out of something as simple as intake/cat back? And I surely dont think they are worthwhile upgrades unless you have headers and a complete tune.

They do work and I am sure together they "help: but for the same price as the intake and a cat back a cam swap sure would do wonders and make much more gains. But now that would be getting in to ROI or cost/benefit analysis.

Ray Charles blue

I guess I should say its better than stock but not enough that I call it a real "gain". I guess 6 Sigma and I would dissagree with your claims. The gains those things show could be offset more so by just temperature and humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I guess I should say its better than stock but not enough that I call it a real "gain". I guess 6 Sigma and I would dissagree with your claims. The gains those things show could be offset more so by just temperature and humidity.
    Shucks, I guess we better tell everyone on the board here to stop buying catbacks and lids for their cars then, since there isn't a real gain, they are wasting their money Wait,,,,,it's too late, lol.

Ray Charles blue

Shucks, I guess we better tell everyone on the board here to stop buying catbacks and lids for their cars then, since there isn't a real gain, they are wasting their money Wait,,,,,it's too late, lol.
    There is no reason to be a smart ass like that. There is a gain but not THAT much....

A head/cam package and a tune isnt much more than a good cat back and an intake system with a good filter and you will make a ton more power. Most cat-backs people go for are for sound and not real power If they wanted performance they would put on headers and an ORY.

Sorry but I see intake/catback the same as a new downtube and fartcan for the import boys. Ricer math my friend. May as well throw an NOS sticker on the side because that gives 10 hp as well.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

There is no reason to be a smart ass like that. There is a gain but not THAT much....

A head/cam package and a tune isnt much more than a good cat back and an intake system with a good filter and you will make a ton more power. Most cat-backs people go for are for sound and not real power If they wanted performance they would put on headers and an ORY.

Sorry but I see intake/catback the same as a new downtube and fartcan for the import boys. Ricer math my friend. May as well throw an NOS sticker on the side because that gives 10 hp as well.
    Are you talking manifold or just the lid?

I thought I was being funny
    Now you are way out in left field my friend. Comparing what a fart can and down pipe does on an 80hp honda to a performance oriented V8? That's an air pump 3 times the size.

How much gain is "that much" to you??? I don't think anyone here said there are huge gains. But I'm sure there are plenty on this board that have done lids and catbacks with measurable differences, probably 100's of them. I'm one of them.
    If it makes you feel better about it...... A lid and catback on an otherwise bone stocker easily adds 20 rwhp and can be more in some cases. It's good for a tenth or two improvement and a solid 1 mph or more. The performance is proven and that's a fact. It's been the basis for adding HP since the combustable engine began life. Do a search, don't take my word for it. If you weren't around when these cars were new, you wouldn't have seen it first hand, because most everything out there now has been wrenched on.

Don't know how this started as being "too much of a gain" to the point you think it's unbelievable. That part has me confused. There is a reason everyone tosses this stuff on their cars.
    But for some reason all the Z28 and TA owners get upset when there is an SS or a Firehawk that comes with a performance lid and catback already installed and they get their panties in a twist over the whole HP thing. It really gets blown out of proportion.
    For those that don't want to pay SS money that has these options already installed,,,,then by all means, go out and buy a Z28 for gods sake. No one is forcing you to like a Y2Y SS.

I look at it as a car that already has a couple of mods knocked out of the way, what's the big deal?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A head/cam package and a tune isnt much more than a good cat back and an intake system with a good filter and you will make a ton more power.
    Heads and cam can easily approach $2500-3000 if you get good heads (PRC/AFR/TrickFlow). Some heads are well over 2K just by themselves. A cam is $400, which doesn't include the valve springs, oil pump, and timing chain upgrade. Tune on a dyno (a must for a cam install) is around $400-$500. Total cost $3400-$4000.

Even 243's when you port and polish them aren't exactly cheap if you do a budget head.

An exhaust is like $500, lid is a $100, and a filter is $50 = $650. No tune required on that.

Big difference in price there to be comparing the gains from a H/C to a catback/lid/filter.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Are you talking manifold or just the lid?
    Just a lid. Not changing manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Heads and cam can easily approach $2500-3000 if you get good heads (PRC/AFR/TrickFlow). Some heads are well over 2K just by themselves. A cam is $400, which doesn't include the valve springs, oil pump, and timing chain upgrade. Tune on a dyno (a must for a cam install) is around $400-$500. Total cost $3400-$4000.

Even 243's when you port and polish them aren't exactly cheap if you do a budget head.

An exhaust is like $500, lid is a $100, and a filter is $50 = $650. No tune required on that.

Big difference in price there to be comparing the gains from a H/C to a catback/lid/filter.
    Ever price a Patriot performance kit? $1,300 bucks or so. Are they the best? No.........but SLP for sure is not the best aftermarket company either so cost for cost its pretty close..

What is a blackwing lid with filter and a cat back exhaust going to cost? I figure close to $1,200 just to be on the safe side.

So say $500 for a tune on top of the $1,300 and maybe another $200 for other things. That is $2,000, if $800 is going to break you (which it might to some people, hence why they think SLP is so great) perhaps you shouldnt even own a V8 performance car. And honestly, a lot of people would have to pay to have the cat-back put on. lol

Ray Charles blue

I thought I was being funny
    Now you are way out in left field my friend. Comparing what a fart can and down pipe does on an 80hp honda to a performance oriented V8? That's an air pump 3 times the size.

How much gain is "that much" to you??? I don't think anyone here said there are huge gains. But I'm sure there are plenty on this board that have done lids and catbacks with measurable differences, probably 100's of them. I'm one of them.
    If it makes you feel better about it...... A lid and catback on an otherwise bone stocker easily adds 20 rwhp and can be more in some cases. It's good for a tenth or two improvement and a solid 1 mph or more. The performance is proven and that's a fact. It's been the basis for adding HP since the combustable engine began life. Do a search, don't take my word for it. If you weren't around when these cars were new, you wouldn't have seen it first hand, because most everything out there now has been wrenched on.

Don't know how this started as being "too much of a gain" to the point you think it's unbelievable. That part has me confused. There is a reason everyone tosses this stuff on their cars.
    But for some reason all the Z28 and TA owners get upset when there is an SS or a Firehawk that comes with a performance lid and catback already installed and they get their panties in a twist over the whole HP thing. It really gets blown out of proportion.
    For those that don't want to pay SS money that has these options already installed,,,,then by all means, go out and buy a Z28 for gods sake. No one is forcing you to like a Y2Y SS.

I look at it as a car that already has a couple of mods knocked out of the way, what's the big deal?

Its not unbelieveable......its blown out of proportion that its THAT much more power. An air pressure adjustment could net better gains than a cat-back and an intake.

So an 80 hp honda gets 2hp from his mods and an air pump 4 times the size gets what, 8 hp tops? hahaha There are cars that come off the factory line with greater differences in power than you get from the SLP stuff on the car. You make it sounds like they are world beaters and they are far from it.

I guess it comes down to this. The intake and catback would work freaking wonders if GM would have said to SLP "Throw on headers, a set of high flow cats with a good flowing mid pipe, and re-tune it." but stand alone they are not worth it the money to me. If SLP would have done the headers and mid pipe then you would see 30 hp no problem and it would be worth it.

Dont mistake, they are worthwhile for power if you plan to do headers/mid pipe but if not they are for sound and "allure". That stuff all works in unison but the biggest choking point are the exhaust manifolds and the mid pipe. Agreed? You can only push so much through the stock manifolds......hence why most hod-rodders dump those in favor of headers.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

You wouldnt call it real gains??? So are they just imagined gains??? Any gain is a good gain. Again you have totally over thought this slp stuff. And as far as slp upgrades are touched by the hands of god, No but every little bit helps

Ray Charles blue

You wouldnt call it real gains??? So are they just imagined gains??? Any gain is a good gain. Again you have totally over thought this slp stuff. And as far as slp upgrades are touched by the hands of god, No but every little bit helps
    You consider a couple HP "real gains"? Perhaps I should have stated substantial but I figured most people would make that connection.

Every little bit helps but a $400 set of tires and a 2-step > than ALL SLP products put together.

Ray Charles blue

I shouldnt have said that.

Tires > ALL SLP products together.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information