Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 112
Like Tree1Likes

345 hp camaro???

This is a discussion on 345 hp camaro??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by slimss I guess the real question is are the 345 hp cars any faster than a 325 ...

  1. #61
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    I guess the real question is are the 345 hp cars any faster than a 325 hp cars?????? I have never driven any other 4th gen cars to compare to. I do know that the exhaust does sound different on the 345 hp cars.
    Andy is right, nothing out there is really stock anymore. Back in the day however I believe there are some road tests out there to compare to. As a matter of fact, I believe the magazines of the day got some of the quickest times out of the SS, and if memory serves, the first bone stock 12 second time was from an SS with those options. There are a few cars that claimed that however.
    To answer that question, yes, the 345HP cars should be slightly quicker than a bone stock Z28. With exhaust and an air lid that is advantageous to the stock pieces, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

    The WS6 was a pretty nice piece though, even though it didn't come with these options. The air box and hood was a better working system over the SS.

  2. #62
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Andy is right, nothing out there is really stock anymore. Back in the day however I believe there are some road tests out there to compare to. As a matter of fact, I believe the magazines of the day got some of the quickest times out of the SS, and if memory serves, the first bone stock 12 second time was from an SS with those options. There are a few cars that claimed that however.
    To answer that question, yes, the 345HP cars should be slightly quicker than a bone stock Z28. With exhaust and an air lid that is advantageous to the stock pieces, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

    The WS6 was a pretty nice piece though, even though it didn't come with these options. The air box and hood was a better working system over the SS.
    I remember a Motortrend issue from back in 02 I believe, and it compared the WS6, the SS and if my memory serves me correctly, the Cobra. The WS6 edged out the SS by a tenth in the quarter.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Because everything nowadays is pretty much cookie cutter cars.
    now days suck basically... lol

  4. #64
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I remember a Motortrend issue from back in 02 I believe, and it compared the WS6, the SS and if my memory serves me correctly, the Cobra. The WS6 edged out the SS by a tenth in the quarter.
    Yeah, some of those articles aren't clear as to how the SS was optioned (lid and exhaust) as the WS6 didn't get those things. I would assume it was a base SS, in which case I would expect the WS6 to have a slight edge. Those hoods work excellent.
    The SS hood was a bit goofy in it's route to the box. SAM bought an SS brand new and started modding. One of the things they did was mod the hood for better airflow. That article is on the web somewhere with each and every change and gain at the track recorded, it's pretty interesting.

  5. #65
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Hot Rod - October 2000 - Son of SAM

    Here you go. Hard for me to find, but they go over all the little changes, with HP improvements and track times. I remember reading about this in 99 when they first bought the car. Pretty interesting read.

  6. #66
    None Shall Pass Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,828

    Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

    Thanks for posting that FBJ! I remember reading about that when they did it. I was extremely impressed. Still am, really.

  7. #67
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Awesome article!!

  8. #68
    Member gjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poway, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    347

    Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

    I have one. Little more than 9k on the clock.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bernaillio county
    Posts
    292

    navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

    And as far as performance upgrades go You could get the cme or dual dual exhaust without the blackwing airlid in 2002, but you couldnt just get the blackwing air lid without the hi flow exhaust option. Also the 345 hp 02 ss in california did not include the blackwing airlid due to strict california emissions yet it was still sold as a 345 hp car according to the 2nd slp content sticker on the passenger door

  10. #70
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    And as far as performance upgrades go You could get the cme or dual dual exhaust without the blackwing airlid in 2002, but you couldnt just get the blackwing air lid without the hi flow exhaust option. Also the 345 hp 02 ss in california did not include the blackwing airlid due to strict california emissions yet it was still sold as a 345 hp car according to the 2nd slp content sticker on the passenger door
    Yep, California was the first to start air intake noise restrictions back in 72, that's why you don't see free flowing air intakes (ram air or air induction) on cars destined to be sold over there.

  11. #71
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I don't think I could ever live in California, even though I hear it's gorgeous.

  12. #72
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't think I could ever live in California, even though I hear it's gorgeous.
    Me niether, that's why we are in Arizona. Beautiful scenery and weather without all the hassle.

  13. #73
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Sorry, manifolds are restrictive and unless they are different between a Z28 and an SS I dont see the edge going anywhere to either side. Just because you can put slightly (and I do mean slightly) more IN to the engine with a little better intake system if you cant move more air out you wont make much if any more power. An engine as we all know is an air pump.

    I am willing to bet that if you strap a stock Z down next to the same exact year SS they will make within 3 hp of one another. If a driver can feel 3 hp he is a liar. The only difference is that some engines are just stronger than others from the factory and I am not talking about freaks either. What I mean is that there some engines that will make a little more or a little less power than others. These are not hand built engines like the ones found in the 6-speed Grand Sports or the Z06 or ZR-1 so yeah so the tolerances and pieces dont fit as well as they could, there will be a range of power that they put down.

    I remember seeing some test that prove the Ram Air hood does jack shit unless over 130 mph and all it does is create more drag and is heavier than the flat version.

    One reason the SS CAN run better times is the 275 tires compared to the smaller ones found on the Z28.

    I love how people compare one dyno run to another cars dyno run. 1. Was it on the same day? 2. Did they have to same exact air quality conditions?

    You cant compare a dyno of a Corvette from one day to the dyno of a Firebird some time later even if it is on the same dyno.

    My lowly little 2000 Z28 with 2.73 gears, a hacked MAF, yes it had an SLP intake but the K&N filter was plugged to shit, the TB was dirty as hell, it has shorty headers that do NOTHING, the mid pipes are freaking about 2", and the flow master cat back is not helping anything and that car ran 13.5@104 in 1800 DA. If we want to talk about magazine posted times show me a 6-speed car with these magical SLP items (that we all know are pretty much shit anyway in comparison to other makes) that posted THAT much better of a time. I have an article at home where the SS ran a 13.6@106.

    Not trying to be a downer on the parade but to me an SS may handle better than a Z28 but that is where it ends.....same with the birds.

    Would I rather have an SS? You bet your sweet aSS.

  14. #74
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Sorry, manifolds are restrictive and unless they are different between a Z28 and an SS I dont see the edge going anywhere to either side. Just because you can put slightly (and I do mean slightly) more IN to the engine with a little better intake system if you cant move more air out you wont make much if any more power. An engine as we all know is an air pump.
    It's not just the manifolds that choke the engine (even though they aren't bad pieces to start with) it's the entire system that chokes. I don't have to sit here and tell you that simply installing a catback system on any 4th gen that didn't already have the optional system, is going to pick up 10-15 rwhp. That's been shown many times since these cars were invented, it's old news. 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" I pipe with 2" tail pipes and a choked down muffler switched over to a 3" I-pipe and 2 1/2" tail pipes with a free flowing muffler will give you gains no matter how you cut it,,,,,manifolds or not.
    The lids also add power and has been shown many times as well.....

    So an SS with these 2 options right off the bat has an advantage over any regular production Z28 with stock pieces, plain and simple.
    Why do you think these are some of the very first changes that owners make to these cars? It's certainly not because they have money burning a hole in their pockets.....

  15. #75
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I remember seeing some test that prove the Ram Air hood does jack shit unless over 130 mph and all it does is create more drag and is heavier than the flat version.

    One reason the SS CAN run better times is the 275 tires compared to the smaller ones found on the Z28.
    Another misconception on the air intake. I've tested mine by blocking the air inlet ducks with tape, and the car only traps 111 mph. It definately makes a difference. Killed 1 mph and a tenth off my times. Very easy to do. Next time you are at the track give it a try.
    Tire size doesn't really make a damn bit of difference. I could 60 foot my wifes Z28 just as well as my SS, both with stock size tires. There isn't enough difference there. A 255/50-16 is still a pretty decent size tire with alot of foot print. I can cut 1.8 60's with a little F70-14 goodyear polyglass that have a 6" foot print, so there are no excuses....

  16. #76
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    My lowly little 2000 Z28 with 2.73 gears, a hacked MAF, yes it had an SLP intake but the K&N filter was plugged to shit, the TB was dirty as hell, it has shorty headers that do NOTHING, the mid pipes are freaking about 2", and the flow master cat back is not helping anything and that car ran 13.5@104 in 1800 DA. If we want to talk about magazine posted times show me a 6-speed car with these magical SLP items (that we all know are pretty much shit anyway in comparison to other makes) that posted THAT much better of a time. I have an article at home where the SS ran a 13.6@106.
    That's a very lopsided comparison. Sounds like your car is heavily modded from stock. I wouldn't say shorties don't do anything, I just posted a test up above where SAM installed MAC shorties with both dyno and track times to prove their worth. Small gains, but still gains.
    As far as SLP parts being shit,,,,,their cat backs most certainly are not. I have my own data that shows the SLP dual/dual systems work just as well as any other 3" catback out there on the market. We tested several systems (about 8 of them) on the same car and found similar results. It wasn't until we stepped up to a 4" catback that we saw a substantial improvement.
    So if you have an SS or Firehawk with a factory optional dual/dual system, you would be waisting your time to replace that with an aftermarket 3" system. There is nothing to be found there. Been there, done that.

  17. #77
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Another misconception on the air intake. I've tested mine by blocking the air inlet ducks with tape, and the car only traps 111 mph. It definately makes a difference. Killed 1 mph and a tenth off my times. Very easy to do. Next time you are at the track give it a try.
    Tire size doesn't really make a damn bit of difference. I could 60 foot my wifes Z28 just as well as my SS, both with stock size tires. There isn't enough difference there. A 255/50-16 is still a pretty decent size tire with alot of foot print. I can cut 1.8 60's with a little F70-14 goodyear polyglass that have a 6" foot print, so there are no excuses....
    Sorry but going to have to dissagree..............the ONLY reason I believe that the 255s can do as good is due to the taller sidewall giving more flex when dropping air pressure. 7-8% of tire size (total) does matter. My own experiences with my GTO and my first Corvette testify to that.

    The other thing is you KNOW how to launch on those little poly glass tires. If I remember your suspension is worked and you put some weight in the trunk, right?

    You are also trying to justify the air intake system with a car that isnt stock. Sorry, apples to oranges on that one. Cutting off the same percentage of air flow to a high performance engines will reduce its power further than if you do that same percentage to a smaller engine. 90% of 350 is a larger loss than 90% of 200. Thus the more powerful car will lose more power.

    A dyno can show anything that the guy running it wants it to show and that is a fact.

    Not to offend anyone but if SLP was THAT great and their products worked down you think GM would have made some SLP options from the factory for the Corvette? Oh yeah..........they didnt because they are low budget. Sorry, but its true.

  18. #78
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's a very lopsided comparison. Sounds like your car is heavily modded from stock. I wouldn't say shorties don't do anything, I just posted a test up above where SAM installed MAC shorties with both dyno and track times to prove their worth. Small gains, but still gains.
    As far as SLP parts being shit,,,,,their cat backs most certainly are not. I have my own data that shows the SLP dual/dual systems work just as well as any other 3" catback out there on the market. We tested several systems (about 8 of them) on the same car and found similar results. It wasn't until we stepped up to a 4" catback that we saw a substantial improvement.
    So if you have an SS or Firehawk with a factory optional dual/dual system, you would be waisting your time to replace that with an aftermarket 3" system. There is nothing to be found there. Been there, done that.
    My car is far from heavily modified.

    1. The shorty headers may help but the small as cats and mid pipes that they prior owner put on are something you would see on a Dodge Omni.
    2. The cat back has a portion of the pipe caved in to clear the rear suspension making the pipe a lot smaller.
    3. The filter was so clogged that just by shaking it I got 2 handfulls of dirt out of it.
    4. The MAF was so bad that I had to replace it because of the horrible stumble the car had.
    5. The PCM was not tuned for anything.
    6. The 2.73 gears suck in those cars.....even with the 3.06 1st gear in the tranny it cant be compared to the manual and 6-speed or the 3.23 rear.

  19. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bernaillio county
    Posts
    292

    navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

    slp blackwing and cme or dual dual exhaust are low budget pieces???? How do you figure that??? If that was the case why would have GM ever team up with them in the first place??? And as far as the Corvette goes its in a completely different catagory when youre talking about pony cars

  20. #80
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Let's not get too worked up here boys

    I think the SLP Blackwing air lid is the best quality air lid ever produced for our cars (in my opinion of course). This is why they fetch upwards of $300 used. Granted, they are a collector's item, but the quality of them is top notch to boot. SLP definitely did that right.

    I think the misconception with SLP is about their aftermarket parts and claims (HP) such as their headers. Also, a lot of people do not like their exhaust tone with LT's so they immediately start bashing them. I have a few of their parts and I've had no issues with them other than the smooth bellows not fitting properly and I had to trim it back when I had an air lid on my car. That's pretty typical with all of those types of items though.

    Overall though I think their prices are high and their customer service is less than great. Some say it plain right sucks. I fortunately never had to find out first-hand so I take the words of others with a grain of salt.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro - Classic Camaro With A Big-Inch Punch
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. 1999 trans am, 1995 z28 camaro, 1979 z28 camaro for sell!!!!
    By poneykiller2k4 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 06:12 PM
  3. FS 97-02 Camaro Taillights/Ebony TTop shades/Camaro 35th model car
    By nhra-trans-am in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •