Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

345 hp camaro???

This is a discussion on 345 hp camaro??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; There may be hope for the F-Bodies becaue of the numbers built. I think 11k SS's were built and if ...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

There may be hope for the F-Bodies becaue of the numbers built. I think 11k SS's were built and if you have some nice SLP options you may have something but I think collectors will be looking for very low mileage stuff. In 20 years we will be driving Hybrids, electric's and diesel's. People will be looking to drive some old school muscle and this may be the ticket. Remember, The prices of 60's muscle cars started going through the roof in the mid 80's because people had been driving weak, 175 hp plastic crap from Detroit for the past 12 to 15 years. That's when Honda and Toyota took over. people with money wanted the past and they were willing to pay for it. Example; I had a dark green 1968 426 Hemi GTX, Auto, Dana 60, 22k miles with PW. A very rare car. I raced it at E-Town until 1981 when I broke an intake valve and it ruined the #4 cylinder. I sold it for 4,500.00 and I thought I did well. Turn the clock to 1990, just 9 years later and that same car would cost almost 80 to 100k. I think we may see the same thing happen in the not to distant future.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SS SLP

There are a couple of correct answers here. The 345 HP package was not available in 2001, at least not up here in Canada becasue I tried to order it for my car in May 2001. In 2001 the 3-inch performance exhaust was available in two versions, either the Centre Mount Exhaust, which is what I ordered, or the Dual Dual exhaust both increasing advertised power to 335. The 345 HP option available in 2002 included one of these two exhaust set ups, plus the Blackwing lid and Donaldson air filter. My SLP Alteration Window Sticker and passenger door sticker only note the Performance Exhaust System without listing the HP. All 2001 and 2002 LS1's were fitted with the LS6 intake manifold and despite the GM advertsied power, the actual power was closer to 350.
    01 SS, NBM non T-top coupe, A4, neutral leather, SS grille, SS dash plaque, Centre Mount Exhaust, 1 of 2, SLP #C110

Ray Charles blue

Other than the shitty exhaust manifolds its a Corvette engine....350/365 hp/tq....end.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The 345hp cars were 2002 only and had the Blackwing lid and CME.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    The 345hp cars were 2002 only and had the Blackwing lid and CME.
    Or the dual/dual exhaust.. Didn't have to be CME.

white
    2002 camaro ss

Sorry to revive thread but i just bought an 02 ss with the 345hp lid/dual dual option. My question is: what air filter did it come with? It has a standard k and n filter in it now. It has blackwing airbox. It also is a 1le car if that matters.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Don't know what brand GM used, but it came with a standard disposable paper filter. Someone added the K&N after the fact.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jerseymark View Post
    Sorry to revive thread but i just bought an 02 ss with the 345hp lid/dual dual option. My question is: what air filter did it come with? It has a standard k and n filter in it now. It has blackwing airbox. It also is a 1le car if that matters.
    If it came with the "true" Backwing lid, it should have had a Blackwing filter in it as well. These both were sold by SLP at the time.

white
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If it came with the "true" Backwing lid, it should have had a Blackwing filter in it as well. These both were sold by SLP at the time.
    I talked to SLP in Toms River and they confirmed that my car came with 345hp with both the blackwing lid and dual/dual as an option. They said it probably had a paper filter in the lid from the factory. I don't know if that is accurate though since it is 10 years later and it is hard to know which air filter came in a 10 year old car.
    My thought is: If it had a blackwing lid, why not also have the filter? Although, if it had the blackwing filter in it, why would the last owner have switched to a K&N?

35th is right, if the car came factory with a blackwing lid, then the blackwing filter was also part of that package.

So many years after the fact many things could have happened. A previous owner probably swapped it because they didn't know any better. Alot of these things haven't really become even remotely collectable until recent years (and they still have a long way to go), and knowledge of this stuff is even less.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Well was the blackwing air filter suppose to be like a k& n filter???? Or was it disposable???? When i bought my 345 hp 02 ss it only had 15000 miles and there was just a factory gm air filter in it.

It was a servicable filter.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Correct. They sold a cleaning kit for it.
    It's on jackstands.

black
    2002 ss camaro

slimss and dabom 77 are correct. blackwing lid and 3" i pipe exhaust. either dual dual or CME. I wish I had it on mine. I added a lid and had a glass pack put on for a "little more" exhaust note. At least I got a ls6 block and a made on wednesday motor that don't knock or use oil.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    ALL LS1 ENGINES Have at least 350 crank hp and over 360 torque...

that is my answer and I'm sticking to it.
    and i agree.
    There is an article somewhere of a stock 98ws6 vs a stock 98 vette and the ws6 actually put more hp down. But only a few. Anyways, LS1's are all basically the same. Apples and Apples.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i agree with everybody on the factory options. I wonder why they dont have options like that anymore? I remember my dad telling me all the options you could get for the GTO Judge back then. Ram air 3, 4, 5. 400, 455, and whatever else they had. I actually have an old Pontiac GTO magazine in black and white sitting under my bed that tells me all about it lol. Pretty neat

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    i agree with everybody on the factory options. I wonder why they dont have options like that anymore? I remember my dad telling me all the options you could get for the GTO Judge back then. Ram air 3, 4, 5. 400, 455, and whatever else they had. I actually have an old Pontiac GTO magazine in black and white sitting under my bed that tells me all about it lol. Pretty neat
    Because everything nowadays is pretty much cookie cutter cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    and i agree.
    There is an article somewhere of a stock 98ws6 vs a stock 98 vette and the ws6 actually put more hp down. But only a few. Anyways, LS1's are all basically the same. Apples and Apples.
    It goes beyond that though with the optional HP levels that this whole thread has been about. Only available on the SS and the Firehawks.
    An LS1 on an engine dyno with no accessories will make right at 400 Gross HP at the flyhweel. That's been done with several factory crate LS1's a few years ago. Strap it in a car however with accessories, intake system, exhaust system, pushing through a trans and rearend and they drop to 300-330 rwhp depending.
    It's the options available on the SS and Firehawks with free breathing intake and exhaust setups that set these cars apart from the rest of the cookie cutter mill and helped them to produce a bit more HP at the rear wheels when it's all said and done, providing we are talking about brand new bone stock cars.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

I guess the real question is are the 345 hp cars any faster than a 325 hp cars?????? I have never driven any other 4th gen cars to compare to. I do know that the exhaust does sound different on the 345 hp cars.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    I guess the real question is are the 345 hp cars any faster than a 325 hp cars?????? I have never driven any other 4th gen cars to compare to. I do know that the exhaust does sound different on the 345 hp cars.
    It's almost impossible to tell anymore... find an unmolested 4th gen out there and it's like gold.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information