Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

345 hp camaro???

This is a discussion on 345 hp camaro??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by bsteff For 2002, the CME was rated at 335....the loudmouth was rated 345....but as stated add the ...

Quote Originally Posted by bsteff View Post
    For 2002, the CME was rated at 335....the loudmouth was rated 345....but as stated add the long tubes and a "Y" and your over...
    You couldn't get the loudmouth as a factory option. It was either the dual/dual,,,,,,or the dual/dual (same muffler and I-pipe) with the CME option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    The ones that came with the Blackwing Lid and either the CME or Dual/Dual setup were the 345 HP cars.
    Correctomundo.....

The CME was just the Dual/Dual with the different tips, but it didn't do anything for the HP.

I have 2 SS's with the higher HP package. One is a 2000 SS with the dual/dual (no CME) and it's stated as being a 335 HP car on the paperwork.

My other is a 2002 SS with the CME package (on top of the dual/dual option) as well as the lid. It's listed on the paperwork as being a 345 HP car.

According to my paperwork if memory serves ( I haven't looked at it in a while), that CME option was another $1,600.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

What does it really matter ? They all make 350 at the crank and if you just do the basics and add LTH, K&N, plugs, wires, reprogram the PCM, work the throttle body and SLP lid, smooth bellows and so on and you will be well over 400. So 345 just does'nt matter.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have a 2002 SS with CME and I would put it on my car even it it lost 10hp. I just looks soooooo cooooool.
    JMcQ11 likes this.

It matters 20 years from now if history repeats itself.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

Yall know this thread is like 7 months old right?

That's all right, I've seen some come back from 2-3 years ago. 7 months is a young pup

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's all right, I've seen some come back from 2-3 years ago. 7 months is a young pup
    I saw one revived not too long ago from 2005

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Hey, were just rehashing and old issue. Back in the 60's and 70's the car companies underrated HP because of Insurance regulations. 426 Hemi's, LS6 Chevelle's, Z28 Camaro's with the solid lifter 11:1 CR 780 Holley Carb engine rated at 290 HP. WTF ? So today we have the EPA. Same problem, same solution. Just be happy we have horse power again. People my age remember the 70's and 80's when muscle cars had 175 hp. Take a 1976 - 1981 Corvette, look at the performance numbers. A 2011 Honda Accord could beat those cars in just about every performance test and get 30+ MPG. Some say they miss the 60's muscle car era, I say we are living the dream. Overall performance and mileage. How can you beat it ?

Some of that makes sense, but I don't share the same enthusiasm as you do with the new stuff.
    There is a reason those 50's and 60's and even early 70's cars are now commanding high prices while even stuff that is 15 years old is still depreciating.
    The old stuff has character and class, just something you can't capture with todays cars.

Some of the 4th gen stuff like the well optioned higher HP 4th gens and SLP cars may command decent prices in another 20 years, and that's the whole point of having it. Doesn't really matter if they all made roughly the same power. I think that's the big downfall of the 4th gen. At this point it doesn't really make one any more desirable than the other.
    Muscle Cars of the 50's and 60's and early 70's however are a different story. In almost every case and every manufacture you had many engine and driveline options to choose from, each one unique and each one giving each car a different character.
    Every 4th gen you drive is the same old thing. I would have liked to see more driveline options for the higher scale and more expensive SS and WS6. Instead you got suspension and appearance differences, with maybe an optional lid or exhaust system that you couldn't get on a Z or T/A.

Only time will tell if that's enough to make a difference in 20 years, and if those cars even survive the mod crazy kids that are into these things right now.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I agree with you, FBJ. It would have been nice to have a WS6 with a LS3 from the factory........

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I agree with you, FBJ. It would have been nice to have a WS6 with a LS3 from the factory........

Yep, or considering the era of these cars, the LS6 would have been a nice upgrade for the WS6/SS cars. Certainly it would have made them more desirable over the Z's and T/A's.

It's not like GM hasn't used the precious top of the line vette engine in other production sedans in years past. In the 60's and 70's you could buy just about any GM car with the same engine the vettes had back then.

Chrysler is the only one doing it now with their 4 passenger cars. You can get the challenger with 2 different size hemi's. The rest of them, (and I'm not just picking on 4th gens here) (Ford included) are more or less just cookie cutter cars.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

What if a 12 bolt had been an option?

It would have been nice, I know I would have ordered mine that way.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

12 bolt should have been standard with different gear options. But back to the other issue. Car companies back in the day ( 50's, 60's and 70's ) allowed you to personalize your car. you checked off boxes from a list of about 40 to 50 items. Cigar lighter, do you want a heater, seatbelts were an option in the early 60's. Radio's, six different engines, three different transmissions, two or three rears with 10 different ratios. You get the point. You had the opportunity to make it your car before they built it. Today you have option group A B or C. Thats it. You pick an option group, outside color and seat material, Done. It is all about cost cutting. Be thankfull we had SLP to do alittle modding for us before we took delivery. I graduated HS in 1978 and the only new car I could afford was in the Dodge Aspen, Plymouth Volare range. We all bought used muscle cars, put Cregar's on them along with Thrush glass packs and the engine came apart in hours not weeks. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A big part of why Scion did so well when they first started selling cars...people LOVED to make their car their own.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

True. But we've made our cars our own too. It's more difficult now, if you aren't as modern mechanically inclined. And a bit more expensive. But back in the day, I was throwing Holley carbs on Weiand intakes, and reworking stuff to be the way I wanted it anyways. As long as cars are made, someone somewhere will be selling upgraded parts for them. Whether it comes from the factory, or it's ordered from a third party, it'll still be done. But, more options from the factory would have made things more interesting, for sure. But, I probably would've ripped half of it out and changed it to aftermarket stuff anyway.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

So true !

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    12 bolt should have been standard with different gear options. But back to the other issue. Car companies back in the day ( 50's, 60's and 70's ) allowed you to personalize your car. you checked off boxes from a list of about 40 to 50 items. Cigar lighter, do you want a heater, seatbelts were an option in the early 60's. Radio's, six different engines, three different transmissions, two or three rears with 10 different ratios. You get the point. You had the opportunity to make it your car before they built it. Today you have option group A B or C. Thats it. You pick an option group, outside color and seat material, Done. It is all about cost cutting. Be thankfull we had SLP to do alittle modding for us before we took delivery. I graduated HS in 1978 and the only new car I could afford was in the Dodge Aspen, Plymouth Volare range. We all bought used muscle cars, put Cregar's on them along with Thrush glass packs and the engine came apart in hours not weeks. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
    My point exactly referring to "cookie cutter" cars nowadays. Will they ever be worth anything?? Maybe the SLP cars?? Only time will tell, but I doubt they will reach collector status.

It's all those options with big engines that made the cars of the 50's, 60's, and early 70's so collectable now. It's a muscle car of a different kind that will never be duplicated again.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Back in the day you could order a 1969 camaro with a 6 cylinder all the way up to a big block. gm even offering cross ram intakes and 4 wheel disc brakes. There was tons of option combinations. I remember my neighbor had a 1969 camaro that he ordered with a vinyl top, nose stripe, gauges on the console and the fiber optic turn signal indicators. wish i had that camaro now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information