Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

3:73's are in, whine pretty bad! (Not Happy!)

This is a discussion on 3:73's are in, whine pretty bad! (Not Happy!) within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I had motive 3.73s put in and they whine a little too, the guy who installed them said that they ...

Red
    2000 Z28

I had motive 3.73s put in and they whine a little too, the guy who installed them said that they all do that because they are such a small gear. The quietest way to go was with some gm gears. Gets kind of annoying after a while.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z28 View Post
    I had motive 3.73s put in and they whine a little too, the guy who installed them said that they all do that because they are such a small gear. The quietest way to go was with some gm gears. Gets kind of annoying after a while.
    I think that guy is an idiot.......

I have Motive 3.73s and they make almost no noise. Pajeff02 can verify that

I have had 2 8.5" 10-bolts set up. 3.90 richmonds and 4.10s and they were both decently quiet and no worse than the stock 3.42s, 2.41s, or the 2.73s that were in prior. My 7.5" 10-bolt with motive 3.73s is just as quiet as the 2.73s that came stock in it.

The guy who sets up my rears does race cars as well and has zero issues and never seems to have any complaints in the "whine" department. Perhaps they do for a few hundred miles and then they are broken in and then nothing different than the stockers.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The only whine you should ever hear is from a turbo or supercharger...period

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The only whine you should ever hear is from a turbo or supercharger...period
    How about a moan? My GTO would get these strange moans in it once in a while. Yes the driver seat IS A POSSIBLITY.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've setup more rears than I can count. Generally speaking, once they whine, the wear pattern is established and it will never go away completely after that.
    Only real way to fix it properly is to get another set of gears and start over.

99% of the time, rearends I've seen that had noise just weren't setup properly to begin with. To do one correctly takes time, patients, and correct tools. I've setup Motive, Richmond, and Yukon gears. All have been quiet for me if everything is spot on.
    I prefer Richmond gears over any other, as they have backed their product and exchanged gears for me at no charge when I had a problem.

Hopefully your shop is a standup business and they'll make it right. If they tell you they'll reshim it, then be prepared for noise when it comes back, albiet maybe different intensity or different MPH occurance, but like I said, once you have it your stuck with it on that gear set. You'll have to start fresh to eliminate it completely.

The break in is everything from my experience. What I've always done, and is recommended by Richmond, is to run the car on the lift without a load on the gears. Run it forward for 20 minutes, then backwards for 20 minutes. Then let the rearend cool overnight completely. Then on the first road trip with a real load on the gears, take it easy for the first 40-50 miles with various loads, some coasting etc...Finding a nice long hill to climb and then come back down works good.
    I then like to change the gear oil and recheck the backlash again. After that it should be good to hammer all you want.
    Most shops don't take the time to do all this. They can't really, they have to get you in and out the door. Hope it works out for ya.
    good post FBJ.

also i have found that putting all the original shims back in the same spot with the new gears is a very good starting point and in many cases has been close enough.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information