Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

3:73's are in, whine pretty bad! (Not Happy!)

This is a discussion on 3:73's are in, whine pretty bad! (Not Happy!) within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Z28Thunder As 35th repeated about what FBJ said. Once the wear pattern is set... no bueno.. I ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    As 35th repeated about what FBJ said. Once the wear pattern is set... no bueno..
    I see what you did here...sneaky sneaky.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sworn View Post
    As I mentioned, they have been great to deal with. As a matter of fact, I would definitely recommend them! The only problem is there booked about five weeks ahead of time for any major install!
    I've been there a few times. It's a nice shop and the guys working there are great guys.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

i've been there a few times. It's a nice shop and the guys working there are great guys.
    +100000000000000

...wish you would have been around to guide the guys that did the job!!!!
    I still setup rears for people occasionally. Unfortunately you are on the other side of the country or I'd have been more than happy to give you a hand

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I didn't mention the arbor guage. I didn't realize they went for that much though! I saw an old timer put the paint on the gears and he just grabbed some shims. He got it right-eventually but hell how many times can a person look forward to taking the bearing off the back of a pinion just to change out the shim?!
    One of those things that is nice to know how to do.
    Well, there are cheaper versions of it that measure off of the flat surface of the cap, but there are some rearends out there where the cap and housing aren't cut exactly down the centerline, so it throws off your measurements. That's why I like to use the donut style pinion depth gauge because it finds the centerline everytime, regardless of where the cap and case meet. They are just more expensive.

I still use the old gear marking compound method too just like the old timers. I only use it "after" I have taken all the measurements, and use the marking compound just to check the pattern and make sure it's correct. It's just how I double check my work. If I don't see a good pattern, I go back through and check everything else again.
    Yes the pinion is the worst, because the shims are behind the pressed on bearing. That's why some people get it close and call it done. It's a pain to pull on and off to reshim.
    I keep pinion bearings here, that I have honed out the center, so they just fit snug but you can pull them on and off with your fingers (no need for the press every time) and makes the shimming process much easier.
    Another old timer trick This also stops the possibility of ruining a brand new bearing from pressing it on and off all the time.
    I only press on the brand new bearing after I know I have the shims correct using my modified bearing That way the new bearing goes on once and it's there to stay.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Like a lot of things now a days,just half ass it then say 'they all do that'. I bet they all do if you don't do it properly.fbj i believe you are one of a dieing breed who believes in doing things right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I still setup rears for people occasionally. Unfortunately you are on the other side of the country or I'd have been more than happy to give you a hand
    Thanks!

Believe me, I would take Arizona over Illinois any day!

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Thanks!

Believe me, I would take Arizona over Illinois any day!
    i loved Arizona when i spent the summer this my grandparents back in 91,they live in northwest AZ near lake mead,Flagstaff and Williams were beautiful,also.didn't see much of Phoenix,just inside the airport.

back on topic,if you had a high pitch whine loudest at 60 mph under normal acceleration and the whine stops instantly when you let off the throttle what does that indicate about setup?

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

i loved Arizona when i spent the summer this my grandparents back in 91,they live in northwest AZ near lake mead,Flagstaff and Williams were beautiful,also.didn't see much of Phoenix,just inside the airport.
    I was there many years ago when I was very young. I don't remember a whole lot about it other than it was really hot. After the brutal Chicago winter/blizzard we just had I would love to live in a state that was warm all the time!

back on topic,if you had a high pitch whine loudest at 60 mph under normal acceleration and the whine stops instantly when you let off the throttle what does that indicate about setup?
    I wish I knew. I change my own oil and can do brakes in addition to some bolt on stuff. I'm not ashamed to say that setting up a rear end gear is entirely beyond me! LOL!

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

That's how my 12 bolt Moser sounds.i honestly expected a $3000 new rear axle to not whine,but quality is secondary to profit these days.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

i honestly expected a $3000 new rear axle to not whine,but quality is secondary to profit these days.
    Unfortunately, in many cases you're right. 3K is a lot of $$$ to spend, especially if you're not completely satisfied!

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Not very satisfied at all.but i will say the axle really cost around $2500 but i paid three k due to a performance parts dealer that was incompetent.
    Posted via Mobile Device

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post

If you had a tool to identify the hz like a reed meter (not just speed) there are parts of the vehicle that make noises at certain frequencies, and you can pinpoint where the noise comes from.
    In your case it sounds like your power side on the ring gear is out of spec. Does it make a difference what gear you are in or strictly speed related? If you want to have some good ole fun get in the differential with some paint and check the pattern.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

The whine comes in 40 and is loudest around 60 pretty quiet at 70.automatic trans
    Posted via Mobile Device

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My Moser 12 bolt with 3.73 gears whined quite a bit on the first part of the shakedown cruise, but has quieted down considerably. I still have whine around 1,800 rpm under light cruise, but I can live with it.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I changed axle fluid a few weeks back,went back with 80w90 valvoline non synthetic and a bottle of GM friction modifier and it Is a little quieter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

On my 93', the whine wasnt bad but nevertheless was there. It started around 40 miles an hour and ended at 60. Before and after those speeds was very quiet. After roughly 30/40 miles, the whining went away completely. Sounds like you might in fact have an issue though........sorry bud!
    1993 Black Camaro Z28 LT-Won

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    The whine comes in 40 and is loudest around 60 pretty quiet at 70.automatic trans
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Does it matter what gear it's in? If not then it is the diff.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

It may just be the gears. My girl has mentioned that my car is 'loud' to her when you're just cruising. If you don't have the radio on at all and are just going at 1.5/2k rpm then you can hear this faint whine. It's not too bad, but it's definitely not completely quiet. You can only hear it under load and pretty much have to be in at least 3rd, but I'd say 4th to notice it because in the lower gears the exhaust note overpowers it, even only going up to 2.5/3k rpm. I don't have an ORY or LTs yet, and I have the magnaflow cat-back so my exhaust isn't the loudest out there either. Highway cruising at 70 or so is the most annoying because in 6th, there's basically no exhaust sound or anything and all you can hear is this noise. I've gotten used to it, not to mention I'm always listening to music anyway so...
    Btw I have 4.10s. Not sure which kind as the car came with them but, I'm assuming they're the cause. Might just have to sacrifice a little for the performance. :O

I hope my pinion bearing or anything isnt the issue though...
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

91 z28

motive 3.42's here with eaton posi. done before i bought it. they whine lick crazy when off throttle. picked up a new rearend today, but will need to find some 3.42's to replace the stock 2.73's. i am gonna find some used factory gears though!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information