Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

3:73's are in, whine pretty bad! (Not Happy!)

This is a discussion on 3:73's are in, whine pretty bad! (Not Happy!) within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; lol..it is... i been thinking on getting 4.10s now that i have an excuse about the noisy gears.....

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

lol..it is...
    i been thinking on getting 4.10s now that i have an excuse about the noisy gears..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As FBJ mentioned, once the wear pattern is set...no bueno.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

my option would be just get it done again.. the labor is a $100 plus parts so is not that bad,,
    i want to up grade to a 9 bolt but i dont see it any time soon..

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    my option would be just get it done again.. the labor is a $100 plus parts so is not that bad,,
    i want to up grade to a 9 bolt but i dont see it any time soon..
    I know where you can get the OPs gears for under $180. Any ratio as well.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

get a louder exhaust.....

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Well, that sucks.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Welcome to reality man.
    My 3.73 are very loud and annoying
    I changed the fluid 3 times also add additive and still there.
    It starts around 35 mph. And stops at 80 mph

It an m6. My m6 had stock 3.42s no noise at all.

I wasn't happy with my either I'm still not happy but there's no way to fix that.
    I had to get used to it
    BS, the people who set you and op's gears either picked some bad gears or the most likely case is the preload and backlash is out of spec. If any of you guys are familiar with how to use a dial indicator (preferably magnetic in this situation) take off the cover and put it up to the ring gear. Rock the ring gear back and forth until you hear/feel it bump the pinion. Most rears like anything from .005-.009".

There are just some shops/people who can't set up gears it's almost an art form. Some gears do make a little noise nothing you can do about that but most when installed properly make no noise. The shop that did yours definitely screwed up or the gears are bad no way they should be that loud. My 410s made zero noise the day I picked my car up and for weeks after that. I did get a slight whine from 45-60 after a month or so but I blame that on myself for not breaking them in properly. The whine never got worse and with the top down you couldn't even hear it. Don't let anyone tell you this is normal or that all gears make noise when first installed that's BS.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree.

My 4.11 gears in my Moser 9" are pretty damn quiet, even 2 years later and multiple passes at the track, hard shifting, and launches.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Well, thus far the have taken it apart three times and it's still not right. I will report back later today....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am guessing this place is in Schaumburg, without naming names?

Ray Charles blue

Dont they measure anything before they put it back together? Turds........

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    BS, the people who set you and op's gears either picked some bad gears or the most likely case is the preload and backlash is out of spec. If any of you guys are familiar with how to use a dial indicator (preferably magnetic in this situation) take off the cover and put it up to the ring gear. Rock the ring gear back and forth until you hear/feel it bump the pinion. Most rears like anything from .005-.009".
    And the other, even more critical measurement that is harder to fix is pinion depth.
    To set that correctly you really need a pinion depth gauge. I nice pinion depth gauge will set you back about $500-$700 and comes with donuts of various sizes that fit into the carrier bearing caps, then a solid bar slides through the middle so you can find "exact centerline" of the carrier. It's from here you measure pinion depth to the face of the pinion gear. In the case of the GM 10 or 12 bolts, the pinion shims go on and then the pinion bearing is pressed into place. If the depth is wrong then the bearing has to be removed and add/remove shims as required and repeat the process. I use a honed bearing that slides on and off. Only after I have the pinion depth correct will I press on the new bearing for the last time. This is a time consuming and tedious procedure and is the most frustrating part of the rearend build. But it has to be done correctly. If pinion depth is off,,,then there is no amount of ring gear backlash that will correct a whine or a poor gear pattern.

Most shops will just wing it,,,,grab the new pinion and stick the old shim off your old pinion and call that good enough because they don't want to take the time to do it right. When in fact I find that most aftermarket gear sets require a different pinion depth than the original GM gears had.

I don't know if it's the internets fault or just shops around the nation passing around false rumors of gear noise being normal. Because it's not.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Aftermarket gears are usually noisy some more tan others Yukon are pretty quiet but nothing beats oem I had a set of used 3.42's put in my car and they only have a slight bit of wine between 70-80 other than that theyre great and if they were new when installed I have no doubt they'd be quiet as a mouse

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I am guessing this place is in Schaumburg, without naming names?
    No. Just a local place by the house. I can't say, without naming names, anything bad at all about the place in Schaumburg. As a matter of fact, I wish I would have just taken it to them to begin with. I've had quite a few things done by them over the years and NEVER had a bad experience! They will be doing the tune next week.

Dont they measure anything before they put it back together? Turds........
    I guess the fourth times a charm as they seem to have gotten it right. Apparently the backlash was off.... It still has a little whine, but entirely tolerable.

And the other, even more critical measurement that is harder to fix is pinion depth.
    To set that correctly you really need a pinion depth gauge. I nice pinion depth gauge will set you back about $500-$700 and comes with donuts of various sizes that fit into the carrier bearing caps, then a solid bar slides through the middle so you can find "exact centerline" of the carrier. It's from here you measure pinion depth to the face of the pinion gear. In the case of the GM 10 or 12 bolts, the pinion shims go on and then the pinion bearing is pressed into place. If the depth is wrong then the bearing has to be removed and add/remove shims as required and repeat the process. I use a honed bearing that slides on and off. Only after I have the pinion depth correct will I press on the new bearing for the last time. This is a time consuming and tedious procedure and is the most frustrating part of the rearend build. But it has to be done correctly. If pinion depth is off,,,then there is no amount of ring gear backlash that will correct a whine or a poor gear pattern.

Most shops will just wing it,,,,grab the new pinion and stick the old shim off your old pinion and call that good enough because they don't want to take the time to do it right. When in fact I find that most aftermarket gear sets require a different pinion depth than the original GM gears had.

I don't know if it's the internets fault or just shops around the nation passing around false rumors of gear noise being normal. Because it's not.
    ...wish you would have been around to guide the guys that did the job!!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

OK - well good to know it wasn't them. I've never really heard anything bad about them that is why I was curious to know.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

I didn't mention the arbor guage. I didn't realize they went for that much though! I saw an old timer put the paint on the gears and he just grabbed some shims. He got it right-eventually but hell how many times can a person look forward to taking the bearing off the back of a pinion just to change out the shim?!
    One of those things that is nice to know how to do.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've setup more rears than I can count. Generally speaking, once they whine, the wear pattern is established and it will never go away completely after that.
    Only real way to fix it properly is to get another set of gears and start over.

99% of the time, rearends I've seen that had noise just weren't setup properly to begin with. To do one correctly takes time, patients, and correct tools. I've setup Motive, Richmond, and Yukon gears. All have been quiet for me if everything is spot on.
    I prefer Richmond gears over any other, as they have backed their product and exchanged gears for me at no charge when I had a problem.

Hopefully your shop is a standup business and they'll make it right. If they tell you they'll reshim it, then be prepared for noise when it comes back, albiet maybe different intensity or different MPH occurance, but like I said, once you have it your stuck with it on that gear set. You'll have to start fresh to eliminate it completely.

The break in is everything from my experience. What I've always done, and is recommended by Richmond, is to run the car on the lift without a load on the gears. Run it forward for 20 minutes, then backwards for 20 minutes. Then let the rearend cool overnight completely. Then on the first road trip with a real load on the gears, take it easy for the first 40-50 miles with various loads, some coasting etc...Finding a nice long hill to climb and then come back down works good.
    I then like to change the gear oil and recheck the backlash again. After that it should be good to hammer all you want.
    Most shops don't take the time to do all this. They can't really, they have to get you in and out the door. Hope it works out for ya.
    Everything FBJ said. I have a shop here that deals in diff's only. I will swear by the shop. They know how to setup a diff correctly with now whine. I had 3.73's in my 10 bolt and you could not tell.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    As 35th repeated about what FBJ said. Once the wear pattern is set... no bueno..

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

OK - well good to know it wasn't them. I've never really heard anything bad about them that is why I was curious to know.
    As I mentioned, they have been great to deal with. As a matter of fact, I would definitely recommend them! The only problem is there booked about five weeks ahead of time for any major install!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information