Bronze
    1984 Corvette

2nd generation question

when did Chevy start putting catalytic converters on Camaros ?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

1974 model year became standared for all GM cars(trucks not included). Some late 1973 models got them too.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

It was 1975 for F-body cars. This was also the reason for dropping the Z28 that year. See "1975" entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...ond_generation)
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 10-15-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added link

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    1974 model year became standared for all GM cars(trucks not included). Some late 1973 models got them too.
    i dont remember anything prior to 1975 having a catalytic converter. that was also the first year requiring unleaded fuel in all cars.

california maybe?
    Last edited by dklowrider; 10-15-2009 at 11:41 AM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    i dont remember anything prior to 1975 having a catalytic converter. that was also the first year requiring unleaded fuel in all cars.

california maybe?
    No he's incorrect. I'm originally from California (Los Angeles) and they started with cats in 75 with the advent of unleaded fuel.

Bronze
    1984 Corvette

Damn ... then I guess the 1979 project car that I am buying will need to have a cat so I can get it inspected in PA ...
    or I need to find someone that will "overlook" that fact. Car has headers, and a brand new dual flowmaster system (still in the box)
    Last edited by AKohler883; 10-16-2009 at 02:33 AM.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
    Damn ... then I guess the 1979 project car that I am buying will need to have a cat so I can get it inspected in PA ...
    or I need to find someone that will "overlook" that fact. Car has headers, and a brand new dual flowmaster system (still in the box)
    that would be correct. but that car should be a visual insp. only, maybe they won't want to bend over that far to look.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 10-16-2009 at 08:24 AM.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    No he's incorrect. I'm originally from California (Los Angeles) and they started with cats in 75 with the advent of unleaded fuel.
    wasn't sure about Cali since they seem to always be out front with emissions, but i know the unleaded fuel and the cats came in
    '75 nationally.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

catalytic converters were first used in 75 on camaros as the 75 floor pan was different with an indent on the passenger side for the cat. no lead fuel was introduced in 70 or 71 but this is a page from my 73 z28 owners manual .it clearly states that any and all 73 motors CAN be run on low lead or NO lead gas, so unleaded gas came before the catalytic converter
    Last edited by twozs; 10-16-2009 at 04:13 PM.

White
    2002 Z28

I know there is an exempt that is available for cars driven less than 5000 miles per year. You do not need to have an emmision test.

I think there is an age limit too. Once a car is more than 25 years old it doesn't have to be tested either.

Pewter
    99 Z28

Try a hollowed out cat or a cat heat shield and rig it up to the outside of the pipe. This seems to work for a lot of people.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

In Texas, its 25yo....

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by twozs View Post
    catalytic converters were first used in 75 on camaros as the 75 floor pan was different with an indent on the passenger side for the cat. no lead fuel was introduced in 70 or 71 but this is a page from my 73 z28 owners manual .it clearly states that any and all 73 motors CAN be run on low lead or NO lead gas, so unleaded gas came before the catalytic converter Click for full size Click for full size
    yes, unleaded gas was around for a while before the cats [ i think they refered to it as white gas] if you wanted the new "clean burning fuel", but in '75 it was required in most everything under a certain gvw*. the inlet in the fuel fill pipe was reduced in size so you couldn't put a regular gas nozzle in. there used to be 3 sizes of pump nozzles before leaded gas was outlawed, fat for diesel, medium for leaded and skinny for unleaded.
    lead helped cushion the blow of the valves against the valve seats in the heads, if a pre '75 car said you can use unleaded it meant you had the newer hardened valve seats. some other vehicles didnt need to run unleaded till later[harleys for example]. my '77 Lowrider said use premium leaded fuel only. otherwise you destroyed the valve seats and had an oil burner. problem was, after you couldnt get leaded anymore you had to carry a bottle of lead additive around with you.
    * from the '75 model year on.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 10-17-2009 at 08:51 AM.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    I know there is an exempt that is available for cars driven less than 5000 miles per year. You do not need to have an emmision test.

I think there is an age limit too. Once a car is more than 25 years old it doesn't have to be tested either.
    you still need a 'visual' to get an exemption sticker. if it doesn't have the emission equipment it came with it's supposed to be rejected. no actual test though.
    funny thing with later technology is the testing computer simply asks your car's computer if everythings ok in there. your computer says yep we're good here, you pass [as long as you dont have a check engine light on]. i was worried about that after my tune with AIR and EGR eliminated, but my computer doesn't remember it was supposed to be there, so no problem.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Your right the 75 was the first model year for cats. Starting in October 1974 all GM passenger cars came equipped with them.
    EGR was 73 models.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Your right the 75 was the first model year for cats. Starting in October 1974 all GM passenger cars came equipped with them.
    EGR was 73 models.
    I can see where that may have been misconstrued as 75MY vehicles were released in Sept 74.

Thread Information