Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes

29 m.p.g!!

This is a discussion on 29 m.p.g!! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Scottsdale is a Chevy truck No clue what a Tortoise is.......

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Scottsdale is a Chevy truck
    No clue what a Tortoise is....

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    Scottsdale is a Chevy truck
    No clue what a Tortoise is....
    Oh, well then I'd say as far as the Scottsdale goes, there is something wrong with the truck. An 89 with overdrive should do better.

My 79 1 ton with a 454/400 turbo and 3.73 gears (no overdrive) gets 14 mpg on the open highway, and 12 around town.

My 72 4x4 blazer with a 355, cam, headers, 750 holley and 33 inch all terrains just got 16 mpg on the open highway (no overdrive) and gets very repeatable 13 mpg driving around town.

There's a truck comparison for ya

For a more apples to apples for that 89 truck, my father has a 91 1/2 ton 4x4 with a throttle body 350, 700R4 and 3.42 gears.
    It gets about 16 on the highway as well.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

My 99 K2500 with the 454/4L80E and 4.11s gets 9-10 in town and 13-14 on the highway but any cruising speed over 60-65 it drop to around 12 maybe 13

Truck weighs around 7k empty

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    My 99 K2500 with the 454/4L80E and 4.11s gets 9-10 in town and 13-14 on the highway but any cruising speed over 60-65 it drop to around 12 maybe 13

Truck weighs around 7k empty
    That seems a bit low for what it is, but being a 99 with a computer controlling everything you are a bit limited. With a tune to maximize timing and fueling you could see better mileage.

Considering my 79 1 ton pickup with a carbed 454 and a 400 turbo (just like your 4L80E but without the overdrive). And I'm running 3.73's in mine. At 65 mph I'm turning 2,800 rpms. Truck weighs 5,350 lbs. empty and it shaped even more like a brick than yours (old boxy body style)

I get 14 mpg highway cruising at 65, and 12 around town. I have a cam/intake package on it that maximizes torque (performer intake and cam package along with headers) and have tuned the factory quadrajet and recurved the distributor. Right now while cruising down the road I have an AFR of about 13.6-13.8. I could pickup more mileage if I wanted to lean that a bit more but since I tow a 10,000 lbs 28 foot enclosed trailer with it, I prefer my part throttle fueling to be a bit richer to keep the engine safe while pulling.
    If I had an overdrive in it I am certain it would tickle 16-17 mpg.

Undercover Tortoise

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh, well then I'd say as far as the Scottsdale goes, there is something wrong with the truck. An 89 with overdrive should do better.

My 79 1 ton with a 454/400 turbo and 3.73 gears (no overdrive) gets 14 mpg on the open highway, and 12 around town.

My 72 4x4 blazer with a 355, cam, headers, 750 holley and 33 inch all terrains just got 16 mpg on the open highway (no overdrive) and gets very repeatable 13 mpg driving around town.

There's a truck comparison for ya

For a more apples to apples for that 89 truck, my father has a 91 1/2 ton 4x4 with a throttle body 350, 700R4 and 3.42 gears.
    It gets about 16 on the highway as well.
    Mine is RWD 305 TBI. It might just be that it has 200,000 miles on it and is getting very very tired. Thought about a full rebuild to goof off during the winter though. It also falls on it's face at 1/4 throttle no matter the circumstances. Been trying to find the problem for two years and could never figure it out.

And for those curious, I'm used to calling my Taurus a Tortoise to everyone else. Oops. At least it only cost $600.

Can't wait for an M6 LS1 now....

Quote Originally Posted by Twin .44 View Post
    Mine is RWD 305 TBI. It might just be that it has 200,000 miles on it and is getting very very tired. Thought about a full rebuild to goof off during the winter though. It also falls on it's face at 1/4 throttle no matter the circumstances. Been trying to find the problem for two years and could never figure it out.

And for those curious, I'm used to calling my Taurus a Tortoise to everyone else. Oops. At least it only cost $600.

Can't wait for an M6 LS1 now....
    Oh a Taurus, ya had me on that one

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That seems a bit low for what it is, but being a 99 with a computer controlling everything you are a bit limited. With a tune to maximize timing and fueling you could see better mileage.

Considering my 79 1 ton pickup with a carbed 454 and a 400 turbo (just like your 4L80E but without the overdrive). And I'm running 3.73's in mine. At 65 mph I'm turning 2,800 rpms. Truck weighs 5,350 lbs. empty and it shaped even more like a brick than yours (old boxy body style)

I get 14 mpg highway cruising at 65, and 12 around town. I have a cam/intake package on it that maximizes torque (performer intake and cam package along with headers) and have tuned the factory quadrajet and recurved the distributor. Right now while cruising down the road I have an AFR of about 13.6-13.8. I could pickup more mileage if I wanted to lean that a bit more but since I tow a 10,000 lbs 28 foot enclosed trailer with it, I prefer my part throttle fueling to be a bit richer to keep the engine safe while pulling.
    If I had an overdrive in it I am certain it would tickle 16-17 mpg.
    Ya it has a superchips tuner on it, and I did a 180 tstat so it's runs cooler causeing a possible drop in mileage, plus I have a heavy foot

I've been looking into a custom blackbear tune for it, alot of the vortec guys seem to really it

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Gas used to be 1.xx a gallon? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I remember it being $0.9X and I'm only 32
    I remeber it in teh $0.60 ish per gal. range.. When I started driving legally in th early 90's I think it was ~ $0.86 per gal. I'm about 4 years older than Jon, born in 1974.. I think I remember it crazy cheaper growing up in the late 70's-80's.. If you adjust for the worthless dollar you're still paying ~ the $2 range I believe but I'm too lazy for math this early..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    That is fine.
    Still thinking they may be even leaner than stoich though to be getting 29MPG with a cam.

11's is too fat for an N/A build.

I get 20'ish' on the highway. M6.
    mine is at stoich, verified through a wideband as well..
    2001 camaro z28 ss vert with factory slp upgrade, LT headers with a 4" exhaust airlid,s.s.r.a.,t.c.bypass,ported and polished m.a.f torquer v 2. comp cam with ported and polished heads and a tune with EFI Live Tune.
    Dyno- 399 r.w.h.p.
    384 lbs of torque

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    id question a lot of you guy's findings ...how are you finding this out...are you just dividing the tank into quarters or what have you and using your mileage...it is important to remember that our gauges do not read linearly...or how many of you are filling up and then going on your trip and comparing the exact gallons to miles
    Me..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

lol

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

The only thing acurate that regulated on a gas gauge is empty.

The correct way to do it ( actually the only way) is to keep track of mileage and divide gallons used into that figure.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Outstanding. Who says you need 4 cylinders to get 30 mpg.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Back in the fall of 09, I had the car loaded with 4 guys including myself, all big guys like me, all of our luggage.(You couldn't have fit a six pack cooler in the car.) We took the back way up from Phoenix to Salt Lake through Flag, Jacob's Lake, Panguitch, etc. I averaged 26-27 mpg the whole trip. This was up, down, around, and slowing down for the little towns, then hammering on it again. All stock. Then, I put a Loudmouth catback on it with out a tune, and my mpg dropped to 22.5 religously. Now, I got a tune and headers, off road y. I am expecting 30-31 with it now. (Haven't tried it out, got a bad ass oil leak to fix first.)

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Outstanding. Who says you need 4 cylinders to get 30 mpg.
    That's the main reason I got the M6. Big jump in mpg.

There is a 4 mpg difference (highway) between our 4th gens. One being an auto and the other a 6 speed. 26 vs 30 mpg. Not alot but you can see what that .50 overdrive does for you.

black
    01 ss z28 vertt

Totally agree. Really the v-6 models are barely achieving this if at all. I would on any make opt for the v-8 vrs the v-6 cause the milage is almost the same. Plus more power

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information