Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

29 m.p.g!!

This is a discussion on 29 m.p.g!! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by shady milkman id question a lot of you guy's findings ...how are you finding this out...are you ...

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    id question a lot of you guy's findings ...how are you finding this out...are you just dividing the tank into quarters or what have you and using your mileage...it is important to remember that our gauges do not read linearly...or how many of you are filling up and then going on your trip and comparing the exact gallons to miles
    Keep track of the miles you drove the car on the last fillup. Then fillup the car and take note of the gallons pumped in from the pump. Divide it into the miles driven on that tank and like magic,,,,you have your mpg

To keep accurate records you have to fill the car consistently every time. Every car I fill I tend to fill it up to the neck. I never pay attention to the pump clicking off, as a matter of fact, I never let the pump go by itself because I don't trust the clickers anyway. I always hold the pump myself, usually with the nozzle only halfway in the fill neck. When I hear the gas coming up the tube I slow down. Then slowly fill until the gas is coming up the neck.

lol i know that..but how do you get the 16 gal of fuel...do you look at the pump to see..also in order to do it properly you need to fill the car up at the same pump and with the same amount of clicks (easiest is just to stop at the first auto stop.) im not doubting you..id just be curious how many people actually do it.

I NEVER use the auto stop feature on anything. I've had those things not work and continue to pump gas,,,,,,all over the car.
    I do it by hand every time.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I get 24 highway @80MPH most of time, and about 15.5 around town. Mods are full bolt ons with a larger cam and 243 heads that were ported and milled and 373 gears M6. Before the H/C I got 27.5/17 or around there. If I could stay under 80 I'm sure it would be a little better. Still funny though, My wife's stock A4 Goat gets 23/17 MPG

For instance, around town driving my wifes 6speed I just filled it up for her Sunday.
    Drove 239 miles on the last tank and pumped in 10.2 gallons of fuel. Completely filled it up to the filler neck cap.

That's 23.43 mpg for those mathmatically challenged

Nothing but driving around town here where speedlimits hit 45 at the most, but usually 25-35 mph. The car still had roughly 3/8 of a tank after 239 miles,,,showing just a shade over 1/4 tank on the gauge. Appears the gauge is pretty accurate on mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I get 24 highway @80MPH most of time, and about 15.5 around town. Mods are full bolt ons with a larger cam and 243 heads that were ported and milled and 373 gears M6. Before the H/C I got 27.5/17 or around there. If I could stay under 80 I'm sure it would be a little better. Still funny though, My wife's stock A4 Goat gets 23/17 MPG
    Hmm, when I take this same car (wifes 6speed) and we go on vacations, the speed limit around here is 75 mph on the highways. I generally set cruise on 82-85 mph out in the open deserts, and that car easily gets 29-30 mpg.
    It has a small cam and headers but thats it. Still running the stock 3.42's.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    that is what she said !...sorry i had too

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Hmm, when I take this same car (wifes 6speed) and we go on vacations, the speed limit around here is 75 mph on the highways. I generally set cruise on 82-85 mph out in the open deserts, and that car easily gets 29-30 mpg.
    It has a small cam and headers but thats it. Still running the stock 3.42's.
    I got 373s, and a pretty aggressive cam. Also the tune is very safe so Im prob running closer to rich

that is what she said !...sorry i had too
    Well when you get older you have to find other methods

I got 373s, and a pretty aggressive cam. Also the tune is very safe so Im prob running closer to rich
    The cam is probably the difference, although I'll bet our tunes are the same since the computer contantly corrects for stoich (14.7 AFR) while cruising. I haven't changed any of that in the tune.
    But her car has a mild Crane cam (210/218 and .551 lift on a 112 lsa)

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Well when you get older you have to find other methods

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I NEVER use the auto stop feature on anything. I've had those things not work and continue to pump gas,,,,,,all over the car.
    Back in the day...a long time ago...I used to manage a gas station. Being I worked there for quite a while, most customers knew me by name and we shared stories...mostly they told me their life stories

Anyway...this regular pulls up at pump 10...the one furthest away from the station and begins fueling up by using his card at the pump. He came into the store and fiddled around getting coffee...donuts...etc.

He walked over and started BS'ing with me and next thing I know I looked down at the computer screen and his gas total was something like $80 and still going. Mind you this was when gas was like $1.XX a gallon and he had a small pickup.

The auto feature didn't shut off and there was a lake of gasoline out on the far perimeter of the lot. We had to shut down and call the fire department out. They laid sand down and I was the lucky one who got to clean it up later in the day. Good times. I don't know how many gallons spilled, but it was a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Back in the day...a long time ago...I used to manage a gas station. Being I worked there for quite a while, most customers knew me by name and we shared stories...mostly they told me their life stories

Anyway...this regular pulls up at pump 10...the one furthest away from the station and begins fueling up by using his card at the pump. He came into the store and fiddled around getting coffee...donuts...etc.

He walked over and started BS'ing with me and next thing I know I looked down at the computer screen and his gas total was something like $80 and still going. Mind you this was when gas was like $1.XX a gallon and he had a small pickup.

The auto feature didn't shut off and there was a lake of gasoline out on the far perimeter of the lot. We had to shut down and call the fire department out. They laid sand down and I was the lucky one who got to clean it up later in the day. Good times. I don't know how many gallons spilled, but it was a shit ton.
    WOW

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

WOW
    Gas used to be 1.xx a gallon? LOL

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I remember it being $0.9X and I'm only 32

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I remember it being $0.9X and I'm only 32
    I know, around here it was .85 when I started driving. It just seems like it has been over 2$ forever.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Is that metric or standard?

I remember .35 cents a gallon.

Undercover Tortoise

I fail

Um, how do you guys get this great gas mileage? My Tortoise gets 20 MPG and my 89 Scottsdale gets 11. Both on the highway....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Is that metric or standard?
    As an engineer...I'd say standric

Quote Originally Posted by Twin .44 View Post
    Um, how do you guys get this great gas mileage? My Tortoise gets 20 MPG and my 89 Scottsdale gets 11. Both on the highway....
    Uumm, whats a Tortoise and a Scottsdale??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information