Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

2012 Camaro SS to get supercharged

This is a discussion on 2012 Camaro SS to get supercharged within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Zinergy No it doesnt. Maybe from a dig drag races but in almost every other form of ...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    No it doesnt. Maybe from a dig drag races but in almost every other form of on-road racing trq does not win races. It is awesome however I will agree there
    I dunno man, I don't see any NHRA/IHRA cars running from a 20mph roll

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    I agree NA is better. You can supercharge anything let the aftermarket do that. Anytime the manufacturer get involved in supercharging you pay for it..........dearly.
    03/04 Cobra is a good example of a factory S/C setup... haven't heard anybody really complaining about those, except for the competition

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

ZL575 or 575ZL?

They already have the ZL575 Camaro made by SLP sold at the dealers, as seen on Motorweek "Maryland PBS" and Speed channel. It has the blower on it 575hp, and many other nice touches. 10Spoke they have one up at JBA on rt2 you should check it out. White, w/orange stripes, w/orange interior. But it's not worth the 72k sticker they have in it.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder 42 View Post
    They already have the ZL575 Camaro made by SLP sold at the dealers, as seen on Motorweek "Maryland PBS" and Speed channel. It has the blower on it 575hp, and many other nice touches. 10Spoke they have one up at JBA on rt2 you should check it out. White, w/orange stripes, w/orange interior. But it's not worth the 72k sticker they have in it.
    Thats a point we have been makeing .. How will the Z28 be priced .. I cants see it below mid $50ks...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

The problem 5th gen is it's based off the Zeta platform which is a for the larger Holden based cars & one of the reasons it's so heavy. The Zeta platform is on it's way out for the US based cars. In 2015 the Camaro will get the new smaller lighter Alpha based platform and will share it with the new 2012 Cadillac ATS & 2014 Cadillac CTS. In comparison it'll be about the same size as the Hyndai Genesis Coupe. I think I'll wait till then to pick up a new Camaro even if GM offer's a Z28 sooner.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
    The problem 5th gen is it's based off the Zeta platform which is a for the larger Holden based cars & one of the reasons it's so heavy. The Zeta platform is on it's way out for the US based cars. In 2015 the Camaro will get the new smaller lighter Alpha based platform and will share it with the new 2012 Cadillac ATS & 2014 Cadillac CTS. In comparison it'll be about the same size as the Hyndai Genesis Coupe. I think I'll wait till then to pick up a new Camaro even if GM offer's a Z28 sooner.
    Yeep , if you dont like the 5th gen you get to play the waiting game .. then dont know if you will like the new one either

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I predict a redesigned cobra in the future sometime as a response to this Z28.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    I predict a redesigned cobra in the future sometime as a response to this Z28.
    talk is 2014

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    talk is 2014
    Thats great, it is going to be one interesting car. I'm guessing it'll be like the 4th gen F-Body vs. Terminator battle all over again. Sweet. I can't wait to see which car comes out on top this time around.

Black
    2002 Z28

i was at the camaro delaership today and they alrady have 60k+ camaros. there 575hp S/C editions from SLP.the manuel is 575 and the auto one was 545 i believe

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

ive seen it i thought it was like 56k???

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    ive seen it i thought it was like 56k???
    We have sold 2 of them. One of the auto and the other M6 (father and son) Both tipped the $60k mark.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    i was at the camaro delaership today and they alrady have 60k+ camaros. there 575hp S/C editions from SLP.the manuel is 575 and the auto one was 545 i believe
    That's interesting... what did they have at the chevy dealership?

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Yeep , if you dont like the 5th gen you get to play the waiting game .. then dont know if you will like the new one either
    Love the 5th gen.
    but everyone has professed the weight handicap vs the lighter more nimble Mustang. Figured a lighter more powerful Camaro is on the horison and more in line with it's pony car roots.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
    Love the 5th gen.
    but everyone has professed the weight handicap vs the lighter more nimble Mustang. Figured a lighter more powerful Camaro is on the horison and more in line with it's pony car roots.
    Didnt mean YOU as a person .. meant you as a general statement ..

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    They already have the ZL575 Camaro made by SLP sold at the dealers, as seen on Motorweek "Maryland PBS" and Speed channel. It has the blower on it 575hp, and many other nice touches. They have one up at JBA Chevy on rt2. White, w/orange stripes, w/orange interior. But it's not worth the 72k sticker they have in it.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

They have a black one thats there now and it has a whole lot of stuff like suspension ram air and i dont remember all the other stuff

link dont work by the way ...
    and yes I want to see a SC car vs a SC car and a NA car VS a NA car .. I get so tired of Apples vs Oranges in those comparisons ...
    I dunno why the link won't work. Here is another one that I copied and pasted from Autoweek.com. Seems to me both the Z28 and the GT500 are both great cars.

The 2011 version of the Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang carries a supercharged 5.4-liter V8 that weighs less, delivers more power and uses a unique spray-coating process that eliminates the need for cast-iron liners in the aluminum cylinder block.

The 550-hp Shelby GT500 also loses something from the previous model--it's gas-guzzler tax. Ford says the new Shelby GT500 will deliver 23 mpg on the highway and 15 mpg in the city. The engine is rated at 550 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque.

Ford released details on the new Shelby GT500 on Monday. The car will be sold in coupe and convertible body styles, going on sale this spring as part of the full 2011 Mustang line.

The use of aluminum for the block helps cut 102 pounds from the engine. Instead of cast-iron cylinder liners, Ford uses a process named Plasma Transferred Wire Arc to spray a thin coating of iron on the inside of the cylinder bores. The process, adapted from the aerospace industry, saves eight pounds compared with a traditional aluminum block with iron liners, Ford says.

For those seeking even better handling performance, an available SVT Performance Package adds lighter wheels, a higher rear-axle ratio, stiffer springs and unique high-performance Goodyear tires.

Other changes include electric power steering and high-intensity discharge headlamps as standard equipment, and an optional glass roof for the coupes. All Shelby GT500s will continue to be fitted with Ford's stability-control system.

PRESS RELEASE: 2011 FORD SHELBY GT500 GOES LIGHTWEIGHT WITH ALUMINUM ENGINE, OFFERS ULTIMATE IN HANDLING

-- With 550 horsepower and 510 ft.-lb. of torque, Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) delivers the new Shelby GT500® with a 10 horsepower increase; an all-new 5.4-liter all-aluminum engine is 102 pounds lighter than the previous cast-iron engine and uses Ford-patented plasma-coating technology

-- For 2011, Shelby GT500 offers EPA-projected improved fuel economy in city and highway from 2010, eliminating the gas guzzler tax

-- The addition of Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS), a new optional SVT Performance Package, enhanced convertible rigidity and a lowered ride height contribute to improved driving dynamics and handling

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 8, 2010 – Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) engineers are taking high performance to a new level with the 2011 Ford Shelby GT500, resulting in a car that has an all-new aluminum-block engine, even better driving dynamics and handling, improved fuel economy and more horsepower than ever.

“The SVT team continues to push the performance standards of the Shelby to even higher levels and better refinement,” said Jost Capito, director of global performance vehicles and motorsports business development. “All the changes we made reflect a desire for even better handling and outstanding driving dynamics – from weight savings to improved balance.”

Weight savings, new technology headline all-new aluminum engine

The 2011 Shelby GT500 is powered by an all-new aluminum-block 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 engine, which produces 550 horsepower and 510 ft.-lb. of torque, a 10 horsepower increase versus the 2010 model. The engine also is 102 pounds lighter than its predecessor, delivering a better power-to-weight ratio, improved fuel economy, acceleration, handling and steering precision.

“Cutting weight to improve performance is a tradition among hot rodders,” said Carroll Shelby, founder of Shelby American. “It might not be as sexy as adding more horsepower or bigger brakes, but shaving pounds off of a car is the single smartest move you can make.”

The new engine uses state-of-the-art Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) liner coating, a process that applies a 150-micron composite coating that contains nanoparticles on the internal surfaces of engine cylinder bores, replacing cast-iron liners typically used in aluminum engine blocks. The Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation honored the inventors of the Ford-patented PTWA technology with the 2009 National Inventor of the Year Award.

This is the first Ford application of the technology, and it offers improved overall performance and durability, along with functional benefits of reduced friction between piston rings and cylinder bores, improved heat transfer due to increased surface contact area and a weight savings of 8.5 pounds compared to a typical steel-sleeved aluminum block. A mechanical roughening process provides higher material adhesion for the spray coating.

Increased power and increased fuel economy

The 2011 Shelby GT500 combines power and fuel economy into one impressive package. This 2011 Shelby GT500 will be the first modern Shelby without the gas guzzler tax, thanks to the EPA-projected 23 mpg highway and 15 mpg city it will deliver. This is up from 22 mpg highway and 14 mpg city for the 2010 model.

The 5.4-liter V-8 achieves 80 percent of its torque between 1,750 and 6,250 rpm, giving the car a higher level of performance feel. A larger two-row intercooler for the supercharger system has 40 percent more cooling capacity, helping to make power more consistent in higher ambient conditions.

Fuel economy gains come from the new 102-pound-lighter aluminum-block engine, EPAS and detailed aerodynamic changes to the underside of the vehicle.

Dramatic performance upgrades

New for 2011 is an SVT Performance Package for enthusiasts who want even more performance out of their Shelby GT500 for racetrack-ready driving dynamics. Complete with all-new Goodyear Eagle® F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires that SVT engineers worked directly with Goodyear to develop, the car is ready to race. The tires offer superb dry traction and precise handling, complete with a race-inspired high-performance tread compound.

The optional package also offers unique styling, lighter wheels, a higher rear axle ratio and stiffer springs, and it is available on both the convertible and coupe. Data show the 2011 coupe with the SVT Performance Package is 3.0 seconds faster per lap than the 2010 Shelby GT500 on a 2.3-mile test track.

Carried over from 2010, the 2011 Shelby GT500 features AdvanceTrac®, Ford's stability control system with several options for performance. Calibration of the system for the 2011 Shelby has been uniquely tailored to each vehicle configuration (base or optional) to optimize the performance.

SVT has worked very hard to make EPAS better than the outgoing hydraulic steering system. The addition of EPAS makes for a dramatic contribution to Shelby GT500 driving dynamics, with improved torque build-up and road feel that delivers quicker and more precise steering, increased effort on the racetrack or winding roads, and reduced effort in low-speed parking maneuvers.

Slotted brake dust shields were added to improve brake cooling and handling, and a new pedal box improves clutch and pedal efforts even more. A lowered ride height of 11 millimeters in front and 8 millimeters at the rear provides a sportier attitude and improved handling.

More engine sound, less road noise

For 2011, Shelby GT500 also benefits from NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) improvements. Overall road noise is reduced by 20 percent versus the 2010 Shelby. Actions undertaken to achieve this improvement include additional sound-deadening material on either side of the instrument panel, additional sound absorption behind interior trim panels, and a rear wheel arch liner to reduce noise on gravel or wet surfaces – all resulting in the driver hearing more exhaust and engine sound and less road and air noise.

The Shelby GT500 convertible model features enhanced structural rigidity, with lateral stiffness improved by 12 percent versus the 2010 model. The V-brace has been stiffened by adding gussets. The secondary crossmember also has been stiffened, while a front Z-brace has been added, connecting primary and secondary crossmembers. A-pillar stiffening foam has been added to increase rigidity.

The structural improvements to the convertible gave SVT the opportunity to be more sport-oriented in the chassis tuning, without trading comfort. Along with the chassis and structural improvements, the 2011 model also will get standard 19-inch aluminum wheels.

“One of the biggest changes for this Shelby is that the convertible acts and feels like a coupe,” said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief nameplate engineer. “Before, they had a very different character, and the convertible is taking a big step in the sportiness and handling precision area, without degrading the ride.”

GT500 gets a new exhaust for 2011, roaring with an even more aggressive sound than the 2010 model. The 2.75-inch exhaust with all-new tuning helped to deliver the additional 10 horsepower.

Added convenience content

New for 2011 is an optional glass roof, providing customers with a less expensive option than a convertible and without compromising the coupe's versatility, headroom or climate-controlled environment.

The specially formulated glass also protects interior fabric material from solar radiation deterioration and discoloration by reducing solar light transmittance. To help improve acoustics and interior quietness, the glass features a layer of vinyl that reduces noise, vibration and harshness.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0knt7rUBo
    Last edited by 97bluebird; 04-11-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

OK . dont get all upset if I mention a Mustang ... But I am glad to see that the new 2011 is again its own car and not trying to be a retro rerun.. I think more people will like the Camaro when its gone back to being its own car to ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information