Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

2012 Camaro SS to get supercharged

This is a discussion on 2012 Camaro SS to get supercharged within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Of coarse i was unbiased!! LOL mike dms...

2006 GTO

Of coarse i was unbiased!! LOL

mike
    dms

Cyber gray metalic
    2010 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Z28 will be blown, not an SS. Z28 is back to being the top Camaro, the way it should be.
    The reason the the SS rose to the top was it not being in the market place for 23 years on the Camaro. But as we know any car can be an SS only a camaro can be a Z28.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by dms motorsports View Post
    We are VERY familiar with the new Mustang suspension. The weight advantage, is a big deal, but the suspension is not even close in abilities to the new Camaro; at least in stock format!

mike
    dms
    The test results i've seen so far that compare the two cars show otherwise

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    is that a biased comment ??

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    maybe a hyperbolized one,

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    maybe a hyperbolized one,
    I think you overstate what is and what maybe to the un-extream or anti fact ...

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I think you overstate what is and what maybe to the un-extream or anti fact ...
    you mean transamws6 right? right.

Black
    98 Z28

Who's test?

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    Who's test?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB4vfZDYyO8[/ame]

Look at the handling portion of this test, this is the only test I've seen so far that compares the two cars, it clearly proves the Mustang outhandles the 5th gen by a pretty nice sized margin. This may not only be because of the Mustangs suspension advantages, but the weight advantage the Mustang has over the Camaro i'm sure plays a big role in terms of the Mustangs better handling, when compared to the 5th gen.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

See above post. Definently not biased.

Black
    98 Z28

Yeah seen that one I thought maybe there was something else he was refering too I hadn't seen yet. The mustang was the clear winner there no question about it.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

See above post. Definently not biased.
    lol just messing with ya ...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Honestly after seen the numbers the V6 2011 Mustang put down I knew the 5.0 would have to be something but dam. I remeber when I had my 89 and 88 5.0 and they where a much better car to case in there day. Notchback coupe was light, fast and 5.0 parts were cheap. Even the LX hatch was a good car especially if you got the fiberglass hatch with the plexi window it shaved major weight. Where the Camaro and Trans Am's looked good but aside from the 89 Aniversary Turbo TA they weren't as fast or as fun. I loved the look of the GTA my friends dad owned but it was alot more than a cloth coupe or hatch LX. When they put the LT1 motors in the Camaro and Firebirds was when GM finally came around. I went to look at a used 95 formula in 96 but endd up with a brand new Mustang GT since it was a few thousand cheaper and I had a budget. Still like the Formula's speed and handling along with the 6 spd butjust a little too much extra a month. Then the LS1 pretty much ended it for the Mustang until the 03 and 04 Cobra's they were a pretty fast car and nice to drive but expensive even now I see them for 415k and up if you want a nice unbeaten low mileage one. Then Chevy had the new SS which was nice but expensive I though about selling my 93 LX 50 vert and 98 TAfor one but realize after renting a Hertz vette that for the price of a new Camaro i could get a real nice low mileage C6 Vette. The GT500 cobra is fast and has a nice interior but pricey. Depending on the price when the New 5.0 GT hits the lots and wait till smeone buys one they can afford and it gets repoed and the used 2011's are out i make have to get rid of my LX and Trailblazer for one since I have sunk way too much into my TA to get back half of what I have spent.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Are we getting to the point where "fast" cars have to be super exclusive? It seems like if they start supercharging 6.2L motors, not only will insurance costs skyrocket, but fueling the car will become a financial dillema. A Camaro would be hard to keep as a daily dirver. The 4th gens allowed for almost anyone to have at least a Z28... even an SS was not that expensive.

The other thing... it seems like the 5th Gen is a boat with with wheels. It's a huge looking car... and as cool as it looks, it seems like it would be on the clumbsy side compared to the 4th gen.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

just have to see how the crystal ball rolls. keep the mods up.
    Last edited by az gt eater; 04-25-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: wrong thread

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

I am biased towards GM, I'll be right up front with that. But the new 2011 Mustang V-6 and GT 5.0 have the 5th-gen by the balls. Less weight, similar power, and the best suspension ever offered in a solid-axle car from the factory. Multiple publications have the 2011 Mustang winning every handling comparision against the 2010 Camaro hands-down. If GM can figure out a way to cut some weight and if they tune more aggressiveness back into the suspension of the Camaro, then they'll be right back on the Mustang as far as handling goes. But as of right now, the only advantage the Camaro SS has over the Mustang GT is the LS3/L99, and the advantage can't even be exploited because the new 5.0 is down less than 20 horsepower to the Camaro and the Camaro weighs 300 pounds more.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Personally, the only way I'll have a pony car parked in my garage anytime soon is if I hit the lotto and buy 30 cars, GM comes out with a 3500-pound LS-7 Camaro ZL1, or I'll be waiting until the Gen 6. Unless the wife tells me she's itching for a pony car then it'll be whatever one SHE wants.

silver
    2002 ws6

oh SNAP! edmunds tests a manual camaro against a 2011 stang... transamws6 is gonna SHIT!

On the quarter-mile at Auto Club Speedway in lush, parklike Fontana, California, IL's long-term Camaro SS whomped to 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.1 seconds with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The full quarter-mile went by in 13.1 seconds at 110.4 mph.

Our red Mustang GT (on all-season Pirelli P Zero Nero tires) matched the Camaro SS's blast to 60 mph by hitting that speed in an identical 5.1 seconds from a standstill with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout). But the quarter-mile took another two-tenths to complete with a slightly lower trap speed, 13.3 seconds at 107.3 mph

On the slalom course, the Mustang GT waltzes through at a respectable 65.9 mph while the Camaro goes full blitz at 68.2 mph. At the skid pad the Mustang orbits at 0.87g, while the Camaro is slightly better at 0.89g. The Camaro may not win the argument when it comes to the sense of subjective engagement by the driver, but its handling performance is undeniably impressive.

The Brembo-equipped Camaro dominates the braking zone with consistent 111-foot stops from 60 mph. The best that the Mustang can do on its all-weather rubber is 117 feet. We should note, however, that the blue Mustang GT with the optional Brembos and summer tires did the job in just 109 feet.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

sounds to me like the camaro came out on top.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    oh SNAP! edmunds tests a manual camaro against a 2011 stang... transamws6 is gonna SHIT!

On the quarter-mile at Auto Club Speedway in lush, parklike Fontana, California, IL's long-term Camaro SS whomped to 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.1 seconds with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The full quarter-mile went by in 13.1 seconds at 110.4 mph.

Our red Mustang GT (on all-season Pirelli P Zero Nero tires) matched the Camaro SS's blast to 60 mph by hitting that speed in an identical 5.1 seconds from a standstill with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout). But the quarter-mile took another two-tenths to complete with a slightly lower trap speed, 13.3 seconds at 107.3 mph

On the slalom course, the Mustang GT waltzes through at a respectable 65.9 mph while the Camaro goes full blitz at 68.2 mph. At the skid pad the Mustang orbits at 0.87g, while the Camaro is slightly better at 0.89g. The Camaro may not win the argument when it comes to the sense of subjective engagement by the driver, but its handling performance is undeniably impressive.

The Brembo-equipped Camaro dominates the braking zone with consistent 111-foot stops from 60 mph. The best that the Mustang can do on its all-weather rubber is 117 feet. We should note, however, that the blue Mustang GT with the optional Brembos and summer tires did the job in just 109 feet.

worth noting here is that the camaro i assume had summer performance tires on compared to the mustang with all seasons on. so i would like to see the 60 ft times as i am sure there is quite the traction difference ....i dont understand why reviews cant review similar optioned cars.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information