Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race

This is a discussion on 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by dennis ss I dont believe anything until I see it in person! Thats just how it goes, ...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    I dont believe anything until I see it in person! Thats just how it goes, you give all the praise you want to the mustang milk man but until its next to me at the strip there just numbers that dont mean shit
    You are going to have a hard time pushing the "numbers" argument where 99% of the people here are "dyno" racers.

And no I didn't mean you shady

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    A noone on this thread has been a mustang owner doing that. I have never belonged to a mustang forum. I just tell it like i see it. Damn near the same power, less weight, better gearing, live axle. The facts dont lie that say out of the box this car is better than what gm is offering performance wise.
    A agree Zinergy. I don't think anyone here is pumping the mustang up. But I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I like all types of american made cars, and although I'm primarily chevy with a few pontiacs mixed in, it doesn't mean I hate fords. If it's deserving of a top spot then so be it.

I never took any of this as praising a mustang on a chevy site crap,,,yada yada. Some people are just too damn touchy. I run into these types all the time at car events. I drive a chevelle and the chevy guys are your buddies. The next week I roll in with a pontiac and get shunned by the same people that were friendly the week before Some people just don't get it.
    It doesn't hurt my feelings at all if ford has something faster. We all get beat. These manufacture rivalries have been going for better than 70 years, it's what started the muscle car craze, and it will continue so long as there is still gas to buy. Why can't people just enjoy the hobby without all this anamosity towards different brands?? Too much testosterone maybe??

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Why can't people just enjoy the hobby without all this anamosity towards different brands?? Too much testosterone maybe??
    Bad experiences maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Bad experiences maybe?
    I guess so

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Why can't people just enjoy the hobby without all this anamosity towards different brands?? Too much testosterone maybe??

And Evan Smith (test driver for MM&FF) got a 2000 red SS M6 Camaro into the high 12s at Englishtown, NJ. It was for a comparison test against Ford's newly released (at the time) '01 Cobra. Many people have seen, or said they've seen, stock LS1s go 12s. While I don't contradict this, I myself, have yet to see it...

If anything, can't we all just agree to disagree

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

A agree Zinergy. I don't think anyone here is pumping the mustang up. But I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I like all types of american made cars, and although I'm primarily chevy with a few pontiacs mixed in, it doesn't mean I hate fords. If it's deserving of a top spot then so be it.

I never took any of this as praising a mustang on a chevy site crap,,,yada yada. Some people are just too damn touchy. I run into these types all the time at car events. I drive a chevelle and the chevy guys are your buddies. The next week I roll in with a pontiac and get shunned by the same people that were friendly the week before Some people just don't get it.
    It doesn't hurt my feelings at all if ford has something faster. We all get beat. These manufacture rivalries have been going for better than 70 years, it's what started the muscle car craze, and it will continue so long as there is still gas to buy. Why can't people just enjoy the hobby without all this anamosity towards different brands?? Too much testosterone maybe??

I think most if not all of us enjoy the hobby. I doesnt not matter what kinda of car beats me in a race import,mustang, etc. I go up and shake their hand and say great race. I have noticed over the years some of the hardest car events are Vette events. Heck every year here we have the MID AMERICA FORD AND SHELBY MEET its on year 36 I think. Car event events are a blast. Heck I got some of the local Scion club to come out to the track and run. They laughed at first saying most cars out there were going to be faster. I had to reminded them there is always someone faster than you. Find out who has the fastest Scion have fun with it. So someone doesnt like a certain make or model its fine here. Might mean that have a make or model they prefer.

RED
    2002/Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    you know what i want to wonder... why is it a 2011 mustang vs a 20TEN camaro what if chevy comes out with more stuff for the 11' are we missing something on this???
    2011 Camaro is bring back the Z28 and its spose to have a 556 hp supercharged motor in it.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL-LS1 View Post
    2011 Camaro is bring back the Z28 and its spose to have a 556 hp supercharged motor in it.
    And then Ford will come out with a supercharged GT or heck Cobra again..

RED
    2002/Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    And then Ford will come out with a supercharged GT or heck Cobra again..
    Ya but I bet the 11 Z28 is gonna be faster then the 11 GT lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I think most if not all of us enjoy the hobby. I doesnt not matter what kinda of car beats me in a race import,mustang, etc. I go up and shake their hand and say great race. I have noticed over the years some of the hardest car events are Vette events. Heck every year here we have the MID AMERICA FORD AND SHELBY MEET its on year 36 I think. Car event events are a blast. Heck I got some of the local Scion club to come out to the track and run. They laughed at first saying most cars out there were going to be faster. I had to reminded them there is always someone faster than you. Find out who has the fastest Scion have fun with it. So someone doesnt like a certain make or model its fine here. Might mean that have a make or model they prefer.
    That's the kind of people that are fun to hang with. I go to events with my neighbor all the time. We usually take the cars. He likes them all, but most of his collection is Ford, with 4 fastback mustangs (3 67's and a 69) but currently I'm helping him restore his 61 vette he's had since 81. Even had several pontiacs a few years back. He's a cool dude. As a matter of fact, he is buying one of those new mustangs.

That would be nice if it ever happens. If GM were smart it would be nice to put a live axle under the car too.
    But it's still not going to tempt me to buy one.

RED
    2002/Z28

That would be nice if it ever happens. If GM were smart it would be nice to put a live axle under the car too.
    But it's still not going to tempt me to buy one.
    Ya put a 12 bolt in it from the factory..Then it will hold up to the hp its putting out.. Motor thread and Hot Rod Mag said it was a go so it passed so its gonna come out..

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

oh well. so they finally got one. the way i see it it jus makes it more of a competition for better running faster cars, which means more fun. imo.

Black
    2000 Z-28

I guess you guys must have missed the newest GMHP magazine where the first 2010 camaro went 9's on the stock rearend....no need for a 12 or 9" if the stock rear can hold up to that kind of power.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    I don't have it backwards, I said not everyone can drive so there will be plenty of new gt's running high 13's as well. I've seen vipers run 14's and new z06's run 15's. Have you ever been to a real track or do you speak without knowledge all the time? There are plenty of real world drivers that are good and plenty that suck. Thats what I was saying. Don't know how you can say thats "backwards"
    I have been to the track many times. I know there are obviously drivers who cant drive but that goes for all cars so why even bring that up? Thep oint is the best times come from real world drivers not magazines. So this 12.7 at 111mph will turn into 12.4 maybe 12.2s or 12.3s at 113mph in a bone stock entry level v8 mustang.

Arctic White, red/gray

Ya but I bet the 11 Z28 is gonna be faster then the 11 GT lol..
    Yes, but how much will it cost. A base gt500 is 46,725 with 540hp, the z28 will likely be around that to start and over 50k with the bells and whistles. Were discussing two pony cars that cost about 30,000 base price.

Arctic White, red/gray

I guess you guys must have missed the newest GMHP magazine where the first 2010 camaro went 9's on the stock rearend....no need for a 12 or 9" if the stock rear can hold up to that kind of power.
    98-02 f-bodys have gone 9s and 10s with a stock rear end. Doesnt mean its gonna last. But I really hope chevy has put some rear ends that can handle some power. It would be a nice change not to have to go ford for a cheap power holding rear end.

It doesn't mean it can hold up, it means they have gotten away with it so far They can be built to hold some power, but it's expensive to do. Still doesn't make it the best choice for a drag racing situation though. By design they tend to rotate and squat the rear, rather than actually push the rearend down and plant the tires. That's why they have wheel hop issues and poor 60 foot times too.
    If you look at the 60 foot times of that 9 second run, I'm betting they aren't where they should be, and most of that time was made on the last half of the track.
    Most serious racers that start with an IRS car (such as a friend of mine running a 71 454 vette in NHRA stock eliminator) convert the car to a solid axle. Doing so picked his 60 foot times up and made him more competetive in his class. This is after he scienced out the IRS and was running 11.0's at 123 mph. Solid axle got the car in the 10.80's, same mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    98-02 f-bodys have gone 9s and 10s with a stock rear end. Doesnt mean its gonna last. But I really hope chevy has put some rear ends that can handle some power. It would be a nice change not to have to go ford for a cheap power holding rear end.
    Yep, that seems to have been GM's issue since 1982. Would be nice if they could get back to a solid axle worth having.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-07-2010 at 09:45 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Yep, that seems to have been GM's issue since 1982. Would be nice if they could get back to a solid axle worth having.
    amen brother

"k.i.s.s" comes to mind for the new GM...it was something in the classic days they were very good at.

My assumption was right. I dug out the article. The car ran a horrible 1.73 sixty foot time.

A car with 850 rwhp that traps at 144 mph should be running in the 9.30 range,,,,not a crappy 9.98.

Get that IRS out of there, go solid axle set on kill and you'll see 1.2-1.4 60 foot times, and ET's where they should be.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information