Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race

This is a discussion on 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones And that's part of the problem. Something Ford doesn't have to deal with as the only ...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And that's part of the problem. Something Ford doesn't have to deal with as the only manufacture still out there on their own.

Until that happens (and I don't look for it to) GM is going to continue to struggle.

I have a feeling Ford is going to sell a ton of these stangs. My neighbor is buying one and has been to the dealer on several occasions. They are really trying hard to push off the (what are soon to be) left over models before the new ones hit the floors. They have marked the prices down so far on the 2010 models that it's even tempting me
    The feeling I got while I was there was that they are getting so much traffic about the 2011 models and people just waiting, that the 2010 models are now just sitting around. I believe sales are going to jump for Ford here very shortly.
    naw, chrysler payed their loan back, or should I say fiat did. They aren't selling any srt8's so they feel no need to improve I guess. The 6.1 has been out a while

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    How about 3:73 gearing like the mustang?
    Well technically the automatic that is racing this mustang in the link already has 3.76 gearing.

Take into account the transmission ratios,,,4th gear is 1.15,,,not 1 to 1 like most trannys. The rearend ratio is a 3.27 for the auto's. So you get an effective overall ratio of 3.76 in 4th gear, which should easily get it to the finish line before needing another gear.

Not to mention it has a first gear ratio of 4.03, talk about a granny gear.

Here are the auto ratios
    .67 So with a 3.27 final this thing should be pretty damn good through the first 4 gears. Although I don't like that gear spread on the 1-2. What is it with GM and these over drive autos with that stupid 1st gear anyway. The 700's and 4l60's were the same way.

The manual ratios
    .57 With a 3.45 final it has a better effective gear ratio in first than our 4th gens 9.09 verses 10.38. But that steeper first gear makes the tranny a bit weaker. It would be better to do it the other way around with more rearend gearing and less 1st gear in the tranny. Overdrive isn't as deep as the 4th gens either.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Even though there is a few hp difference and lbs difference between the new GT and the LS3 there is no way a new GT is going to pull on a LS3 Vette at all, stock to stock. Whats important at the same time is MPH and the vette will pull easily 116+MPH in the quartermile. The tires on a few of them ive driven are terrible especially run flats and doesnt help at all with your times. The others ive driven which were used in our used lot had different tires with much better rubber and its a very noticable difference off the line, braking and handling. I do have alot of respect for the new GT although i havent seen or read much about it yet, im sure its going to be a beast on the streets and beat up on alot of cars.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Im not trying to say the stang will be faster than a ls3 vette. Im saying that they will be within 10ths of eachother and if the vette doesnt have driver mod he can lose.

As for the camaro, you guys can post all the times you want but the matter of the fact is the 2011 stang will have damn near the same power, 200-300lbs less weight, better gearing and a live axle rear end which makes launching easier and more consistent. You cant argue with those facts. Even magazines are getting in the 12s which most didnt do with the camaro. When real world drivers get these cars look for lower to mid 12s trapping 110-114mph from good drivers who know the car.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Honestly, why are all these mustang nutswingers coming out of the woodwork because of this POS.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Honestly, why are all these mustang nutswingers coming out of the woodwork because of this POS.
    Im not a mustang fan, i still dont like the look very much. But why cant you admit its a better car than what GM is offering in that range. In pretty much ever performance catergory it is better. Maybe we will come to find out it has some problems and or issues. But until that happens its a better car peformance wise than the camaro or challenger and for less money.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Im not a mustang fan, i still dont like the look very much. But why cant you admit its a better car than what GM is offering in that range. In pretty much ever performance catergory it is better. Maybe we will come to find out it has some problems and or issues. But until that happens its a better car peformance wise than the camaro or challenger and for less money.
    I'll admit they are close to the same level, but I will never say it's better. It does cost more for one. They brake the same if the mustang has the upgraded brake package. Gas mileage is the same. Price as tested was 6k higher than the SS and the Challenger is insanely priced.

If the Camaro goes on a diet or bumps the HP up for 2011 by 20 horse, OR BOTH. Bye bye Mustang. I'm not at all worried about it. All they need to do is take a few lbs off the Camaro and it'll handle just as well if not better and run faster, widening the tires a bit, wouldn't hurt.

Arctic White, red/gray

I'll admit they are close to the same level, but I will never say it's better. It does cost more for one. They brake the same if the mustang has the upgraded brake package. Gas mileage is the same. Price as tested was 6k higher than the SS and the Challenger is insanely priced.

If the Camaro goes on a diet or bumps the HP up for 2011 by 20 horse, OR BOTH. Bye bye Mustang. I'm not at all worried about it. All they need to do is take a few lbs off the Camaro and it'll handle just as well if not better and run faster, widening the tires a bit, wouldn't hurt.
    Who claimed the price was 6k higher? Most price as tested for the SS are 34,000-36,000 and the msutang gt premium package as 32800-33,500.

Yes if the camaro goes on a diet or gets more power, but they just spent an assload of money on getting the current camaro out. Maybe you should be the new CEO of GM. It will go hand in hand with our President spending money we dont have.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

while i am not a 5.0 nut swinger by any means...you know ..if gm does that...in 2012..they will just squeeze a little more out of the tune or intake..and be in a bad situation...the biggest thing i think the camaro needs...is some decent sized rim/tires....like offer a "performance" wheel option ..with 18s wrapped in 315s +

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Who claimed the price was 6k higher? Most price as tested for the SS are 34,000-36,000 and the msutang gt premium package as 32800-33,500.

Yes if the camaro goes on a diet or gets more power, but they just spent an assload of money on getting the current camaro out. Maybe you should be the new CEO of GM. It will go hand in hand with our President spending money we dont have.
    GM actually paid back quite a bit of money and ya I'll probably end up being the CEO.

It was Motor Trend that priced it at 40k. Price as tested.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    while i am not a 5.0 nut swinger by any means...you know ..if gm does that...in 2012..they will just squeeze a little more out of the tune or intake..and be in a bad situation...the biggest thing i think the camaro needs...is some decent sized rim/tires....like offer a "performance" wheel option ..with 18s wrapped in 315s +
    So then we both agree they can easily outdo the mustang.

98' trans am

So then we both agree they can easily outdo the mustang.
    yes...but then the next year the mustang will tweak something and out do the camaro...the huge thing hurting the maro is the weight compared to the mustang...once that gets addressed/if it ever does ...then the maro i think would be a real killer

you cant keep throwing hp at a car ...hp costs money ...trimming weight saves money and increases mpg which helps sells and make more money.

i dont want a 550 hp car that only runs 12s

not to mention less weight = more mpg = no need for DOD = A6/ls3 combo.

Arctic White, red/gray

GM actually paid back quite a bit of money and ya I'll probably end up being the CEO.

It was Motor Trend that priced it at 40k. Price as tested.
    I hope the government lets its leash go after they do, but i doubt it.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I hope the government lets its leash go after they do, but i doubt it.
    Please explain the influence they have on GM vs other car brands.

Arctic White, red/gray

Please explain the influence they have on GM vs other car brands.
    The have direct influence on the company and its choices. There is also a Obama administration plan for US officials to appoint 5 or 6 of gms 13 member board as soon as GM is out of bankruptcy. So yes US officials will have control over the board.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

What influence?

Arctic White, red/gray

What influence?
    You think that when the presidency fired GMs ceo and had Fritz put in his place that they dont back eachother up. Its not secret GM supports the administraion and that the administration supports GM. They are hand in hand, they are tons of articles written about it if you would just search. The administration has had teams of people going through the companies financial records and systems trying to sort out there problem.

Here is just a little artical that the new york times reported and there are many many more

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/05/11/...g-shots-at-gm/
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-06-2010 at 01:39 PM.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

People are making way to big of deal out of the new mustang. When they have these pre-production cars for magazine tests they are faster then when they come to the hands of customers. Not everyone can drive so there will be plenty of new gt's running high 13's as well. I love cars, especially ones with v8's but I'm a gm fan as which is why I joined LS1.com and I think people are putting to much praise on the new gt when not one person here has yet to drive one! I will respect it when I see it on the street or the track to see what it can really do in a PRODUCTION version. Until then give me a break! Swing on the mustangs nuts on a different site

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    People are making way to big of deal out of the new mustang. When they have these pre-production cars for magazine tests they are faster then when they come to the hands of customers. Not everyone can drive so there will be plenty of new gt's running high 13's as well. I love cars, especially ones with v8's but I'm a gm fan as which is why I joined LS1.com and I think people are putting to much praise on the new gt when not one person here has yet to drive one! I will respect it when I see it on the street or the track to see what it can really do in a PRODUCTION version. Until then give me a break! Swing on the mustangs nuts on a different site
    what were your thoughts on the camaro before it came out ? or did you wait to give it any praise until it hit the streets ?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    You have it backwards, the good drivers who get the best times out of the cars are real world owners. The fastest time from a magazine for the 2010 ss was a 12.9 and all the other magazine times were 13.0 or higher. Now people have run 12.7s, 12.6s and as I learned today 1 guy went a 12.5 and all at higher trap speeds than the magazines aswell. When the ws6 came out alot of mags had the time set at 13.6-13.8 and now they have gone 12s stock.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information