Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 112

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race

This is a discussion on 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    cali
    Posts
    181

    red
    1998 z28

    2011 Mustang GT 5.0 vs Camaro SS - Drag Race


  2. #2
    Four Seat Vette 10spokess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    pasadena md
    Posts
    2,034
    Blog Entries
    2

    Black
    2002 SS Camaro

    oh well

  3. #3
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    looks like i got some work to do this year. gonna b pretty embarrassing if a brand new gt beats my 10 year old 10k car. i was pretty happy when i could kep up with the new camaro ss. i bet the guy that bought it was not very happy. thats one of the reasons i like the ws6. its faster than all the rich kids's cars that daddy bought them. I loved it in 2fast 2 furious tokyo drift when that viper takes it in the ass. "Oh you read the brochure."
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

  4. #4
    Member jakez28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    126

    Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

    Not the outcome that I expected haha oh well is right

  5. #5
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    it's not that the stang is so incredibly fast, alot of l99's out there are slow as balls.

  6. #6
    Four Seat Vette 10spokess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    pasadena md
    Posts
    2,034
    Blog Entries
    2

    Black
    2002 SS Camaro

    yeah true they are lol

  7. #7
    Member Lethal Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    192

    Black
    98 Z28

    Well from what I understand the auto SS is rated at 400hp and the manual is rated at 425hp. So I think we would've seen a better performance from the camaro had we been lookin at manuals.
    My issue with the camaro is the price, they still have them stickered here for about 40k which is ridiculous in my imo. The 5.0 will start at 30K, to be honest Im kinda glad to see the competition. Hopefully it will make the other two kids on the block get there sh*t together.
    Last edited by Lethal Z; 04-04-2010 at 02:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    169
    how much lighter is the new mustang 302 gt than the ss ?

  9. #9
    Member Lethal Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    192

    Black
    98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    how much lighter is the new mustang 302 gt than the ss ?
    Well the numbers vary depending on whos article you read but according to left lane news

    Mustang GT
    auto 3452
    manual 3400

    SS
    auto 3902
    manual 3849

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    8.57 at 87 mph for a stang with an automatic???

    That's roughly a 12.90-13.0 at about 110 mph and some change. That's easily as quick as a new manual transmission camaro, let alone the automatic.
    Would be interesting to see how the manual trans mustang runs,,,,but I'd say the camaro has it's hands full either way.

  11. #11
    Make real real sure Johns00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Black
    2000 Z-28

    Numerous magazines have them nearly identical in the 1/4 mile...within a tenth or two of each other so that mustang being ahead by .3 and 8mph in the 1/8th is complete bs.

  12. #12
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Numerous magazines have them nearly identical in the 1/4 mile...within a tenth or two of each other so that mustang being ahead by .3 and 8mph in the 1/8th is complete bs.
    Most of us have already seen the new camaro's run, I've even raced a couple of them. They have all seemed to be in the low 13's from what I've seen.

    So ya, that 8.87 at only 79 mph is a bit weak, and the MPH seems to be off. It should be running around 82 mph in the 1/8 for that ET,,,,give or take. Theoretically that camaro was on about a 13.70 run around 102 mph,,,,roughly. Sounds a bit off.

    In any event, if that ET and MPH are correct for the Mustang, it's an easy 13.0 ride at a buck ten. In an automatic even. I think ford has a new player. I'm glad to see it.
    Won't be long and people will start tuning, throwing converters and gears at them. It will be interesting for sure.

  13. #13
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Most of us have already seen the new camaro's run, I've even raced a couple of them. They have all seemed to be in the low 13's from what I've seen.

    So ya, that 8.87 at only 79 mph is a bit weak, and the MPH seems to be off. It should be running around 82 mph in the 1/8 for that ET,,,,give or take. Theoretically that camaro was on about a 13.70 run around 102 mph,,,,roughly. Sounds a bit off.

    In any event, if that ET and MPH are correct for the Mustang, it's an easy 13.0 ride at a buck ten. In an automatic even. I think ford has a new player. I'm glad to see it.
    Won't be long and people will start tuning, throwing converters and gears at them. It will be interesting for sure.
    i've raced a poor runing l99 and trust me-- it would be lucky to run a 13.7 on a good day.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Doesnt matter, mags have already ran 12.8s in the new mustang and none were able to do that in the new camaro. Best time i have seen for the new camaro is 12.8 @ 112mph by a real owner, the new mustang with real world drivers will run 12.5s @ 110-113mph. Its def a faster car 1/4mile wise with very simular trap speeds.

  15. #15
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    looks like i got some work to do this year. gonna b pretty embarrassing if a brand new gt beats my 10 year old 10k car. i was pretty happy when i could kep up with the new camaro ss. i bet the guy that bought it was not very happy. thats one of the reasons i like the ws6. its faster than all the rich kids's cars that daddy bought them. I loved it in 2fast 2 furious tokyo drift when that viper takes it in the ass. "Oh you read the brochure."
    not to burst your bubble..but when new your WS6 cost the same, if not more than the SS and the new GT..........

  16. #16
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    i personally could care less.

    so a car that is 500-600 pounds lighter than a camaro and only 10-20 hp less and much better gearing edges out a camaro by .1-.2 ... who cares..if anything i am a tad disappointed in the new mustang that with all the hype and the better specs that it is only able to beat out the heavier, poorly geared, on 20" rims by .1-.2 .

    we wont even mention that ford said on the exhaust side there is not much more to gain due to their exhaust manifold design ...so the word on the street is it will be hard to get much more out of the 5.0 in N/A form.

    so running 12.2-12.5 max in N/A form while the camaro and our 4th gens can go well beyond that in N/a ...doesnt bother me at all.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    not to burst your bubble..but when new your WS6 cost the same, if not more than the SS and the new GT..........
    +1 i hate when people state that they paid 10k for a car that will beat or be as fast as soemones new 30-40k car. Theres a difference its new!!!!!!!!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i personally could care less.

    so a car that is 500-600 pounds lighter than a camaro and only 10-20 hp less and much better gearing edges out a camaro by .1-.2 ... who cares..if anything i am a tad disappointed in the new mustang that with all the hype and the better specs that it is only able to beat out the heavier, poorly geared, on 20" rims by .1-.2 .

    we wont even mention that ford said on the exhaust side there is not much more to gain due to their exhaust manifold design ...so the word on the street is it will be hard to get much more out of the 5.0 in N/A form.

    so running 12.2-12.5 max in N/A form while the camaro and our 4th gens can go well beyond that in N/a ...doesnt bother me at all.
    True as i have said many times that once modding happens the big liter engines will still be better. But it stil ldoesnt change the fact that fords base v8 mustang the GT is the fastest pony car stock vs stock. Im suprised your not impressed as the c5 z06 generally runs 12.1-12.5 with 405hp and better gearing than the f-bodys. The same as the new 5.0. And there new v6 is a mid to high 13 second car. GM needs to get there heads out of the governments ass and retake the throne. Some people are liek the new z28 will be faster, DUH and like 50,000+. Now rumors are ford is gonna release the new cobra with a 6.2 liter DOHC and the goal is 500+hp N/A, if they start that car at 40k for a base model the camaro and srt-8 cars are gonna be no competition.

  19. #19
    Orig Regist: 9/98
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    535

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

    Gee, and it only took Ford, what? 15-16 years to realize what a turd the 4.6L was?

  20. #20
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    But it stil ldoesnt change the fact that fords base v8 mustang the GT is the fastest pony car stock vs stock. Im suprised your not impressed as the c5 z06 generally runs 12.1-12.5 with 405hp and better gearing than the f-bodys. The same as the new 5.0.
    yes stock for stock the mustang is a tad faster...but as i said and you..the mustang has almost everything better than the maro...and it barely beats them...i have herd of no 1/4 in the 12.1-12.5 .

    in terms of the z06 vs ws6...there is no question...as they are not, and shouldn't be in the same class. the vette is expected to win in all category vs the f-body.

    so i am a tad confused to the relevance of the corvette in this subject.


    also in general i am never that impressed vettes. nothing against them..they are beautiful and i would love to own one...but it is gm's flagship..i expect it to do great things

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2011 Mustang GT hits 11s on drag radials...
    By Superluminal in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
  2. 2011 Mustang GT hits 11s on drag radials...
    By Superluminal in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 08:23 PM
  3. 2010 Camaro SS vs 2011 5.0 Mustang GT
    By snaggeltooth in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •