Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 107

2010 SS Camaro Road Test

This is a discussion on 2010 SS Camaro Road Test within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Well I can tell you this I would give an arm and a leg to have IRS on my camaro. ...

  1. #61
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    Well I can tell you this I would give an arm and a leg to have IRS on my camaro. I plan to autocross it as well as drag.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Benning, GA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    435

    Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

    One shouldn't assume that solid axle cars can't handle either, Eric. You're buying into popular press. The argument is very similar to the OHC vs. pushrod argument. All of these technologies to include IRS are ancient. IRS certainly has advantages on rough/bumpy surfaces. On a flat surface, a well setup solid axle should run just as hard in the corners.

    BTW, the guy you're arguing with (BLKCLOUD) is an NMRA Factory Stock Champion, not just another typical internet loser with an opinion. Also, it's an interesting point to note that he won that championship in a car that originally came with IRS - a '99 Cobra.

  3. #63
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Uh my axle on my camaro isnt durable and cheaper. But I am not flaming or getting mad I am just trying to understand why anyone would downgrade to a ancient tech. Thats all.
    I guess I'm trying to look at it from your perspective. IMO, your 10 bolt is more durable and cheaper to work on than an IRS... though it's technically a weak link in all Fbodies, an IRS set up vrs. lets say a 9": The 9" is a lot more durable and easier to work on and do gear changes. I understand your point that you are interested in road rallys, which an IRS would probably work out excellent, but I wouldn't call the live axle ancient, with the right set up, they work great!

  4. #64
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Well I can tell you this I would give an arm and a leg to have IRS on my camaro. I plan to autocross it as well as drag.
    Have you autocrossed before? It is definitely a rush! Best of luck to you! Hopefully you can get sponsored by a tire company because you run through those like a son of a bitch!

    2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

    2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

    2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

    2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

  5. #65
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Well I can tell you this I would give an arm and a leg to have IRS on my camaro. I plan to autocross it as well as drag.
    Nothing wrong with that - to each their own! I'm a drag racer, but I spent a weekend at Summit Point Raceway several years ago participating in a Car Guys "On-Track Driver's Education" event. GREAT FUN! The old 99 T/A did a very good job of getting around the track, and even with the live axle and mostly-stock suspension, it was FAR more capable than the driver (me)!

    Good luck.

  6. #66
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Nothing wrong with a solid axle. Take a look and Nascar and what they have done with it. They road race now as well as turning left. Appears to me the solid axles turn corners well enough. To the point where amature drivers such as ourselves will never see the full potential anyway, so why quabble about IRS or solid.
    Road racing is fun but sheeesh, you can have that fun with a solid rear and save a ton of coin because as I stated, unless you are Mario Andretti you won't know the difference.

    Black Cloud hit the nail on the head with his last post,,,and I would venture to say that most of us fall into the same catagory.

    In my opinion,,,,I'd take the new 5th gen with a solid axle,,,ditch the damn IRS and knock the cost of the car down to more affordable levels. It's a waste of money and technoligy for 99% of the drivers on the road.

  7. #67
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    Knock the cost? The new camaro isnt that expensive. Its about on par with the rest of the sports cars. Faster than most of them too!

  8. #68
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Knock the cost? The new camaro isnt that expensive. Its about on par with the rest of the sports cars. Faster than most of them too!
    Could even be cheaper yet though, and pull some of the crowd away from ford and chrysler.

    I don't know about most people, but I would prefer something without all the bells and whistles.

  9. #69
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    GM pretty much had to do an IRS in this car. Not my cup of tea, but I understand why they did it.

  10. #70
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    GM pretty much had to do an IRS in this car. Not my cup of tea, but I understand why they did it.
    Ya maybe it was to make it more appealling and attempt to grab more of the market but what ever the reason,,,I know I won't be buying one.

  11. #71
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    The IRS isn't what would stop me.....it is the almost 3900 lb curb weight that gives me serious problems.

  12. #72
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    The IRS isn't what would stop me.....it is the almost 3900 lb curb weight that gives me serious problems.
    Thats the cheap and easy part to fix though.
    If it came with a solid axle to begin with that would have shed some of that weight right from the start.
    Shucks weight doesn't bother me that much,,,I've been racing my chevelle for over 20 years at 4,100 lbs.

  13. #73
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nothing wrong with a solid axle. Take a look and Nascar and what they have done with it. They road race now as well as turning left. Appears to me the solid axles turn corners well enough. To the point where amature drivers such as ourselves will never see the full potential anyway, so why quabble about IRS or solid. Road racing is fun but sheeesh, you can have that fun with a solid rear and save a ton of coin because as I stated, unless you are Mario Andretti you won't know the difference.

    Black Cloud hit the nail on the head with his last post,,,and I would venture to say that most of us fall into the same catagory.

    In my opinion,,,,I'd take the new 5th gen with a solid axle,,,ditch the damn IRS and knock the cost of the car down to more affordable levels. It's a waste of money and technoligy for 99% of the drivers on the road.
    i totally agree with this--- todays cars handle so well it's unlikely anyone will reach their limits on the street. even with a solid axle.

    i think too many people picked up the good handling argument from the ricers.

  14. #74
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LA, lower AL.
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Eh... I think it looks better than the Mustangs. Not my cup of tea though. If the challenger was less expensive and lighter I would get one. I love the looks of those. I am gonna stick with my GTO and WS-6 for a while. Maybe I will get a 5th gen when they are 4+ years old and cheap
    I really don't see how. This Camaro doesn't have any hints of past Camaros and it doesn't look like a sports car. I can't believe this is the best GM could come up with.


  15. #75
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    The Camaro has LOTS of hints of past versions (especially the 69), and its not supposed to be a sports car.

    And I'm certainly no fan boy.

  16. #76
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I don't care for the new camaro either, not just because of the IRS, I just can't get past the looks of it.
    It will probably appeal to a few people. But if I were on the market for a new car I'd probably consider a challenger first, then a mustang. Both look more of the vintage part.

  17. #77
    Army of 1 wooddaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alachua, Fl
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,733

    Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

    Yeah I definitely think the challenger looks best out of all three.

  18. #78
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Yeah I definitely think the challenger looks best out of all three.
    Yep I agree. I've seen alot of them running around lately with different stripe packages, different colors and what not,,,and they all look good to me.
    When you have a car that you can do that with and still look good you know they did something right.

  19. #79
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    36
    Posts
    74
    Why do people keep saying that the Camaro is not a sports car? It is definitly a sports car... I wouldn't classify it as a family sedan or econobox... It fits more the sports car categoty then any other category. I think people keep syaying it's not a sports car to justify some of the "down-points" of the car. Even Motor Trend calls it a sports car (http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...aro/index.html) and Edmund.com calls it a sports car (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=144431)


    Just because something is "heavy" or has backseats doesn't exclude it from a sports car. If that's the argument, at what weight does the category change? Or is it a HP/weight ratio? There is nothing in set stone... But the Camaro is definitly more "sports car" than any other category out there.

  20. #80
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I have to agree as well i like the look of the challenger better then the camaro, it doesnt pretend to be a lightweight powerfull car. Its a challenger and pushes you out of the way with its good looks and power. Only reason why i dont like the camaro is, its just too heavy and running 111 mph in the quarter when a bolt on LS1 can do that is not worth getting rid of my 01. I love the looks of my 01, easy to get it to handle well, to pass and beat a new camaro with more power and new technology after several years and several thousand miles on my LS1, PRICELESS. Sure with bolt ons the new 5th gen camaro will be faster but i just cant get passed the weight and the BULKY look. I loved my 01 M3 Vert but with it weighing at 3781 lbs you just cant hide that amount of weight, meaning the way it feels when you accelerate and take turns, ofcourse even in braking. Main reason why i got rid of it and could never get use to the weight no matter how nimble it was in the corners or how well it braked and accelerated. Maybe if i see the new camaro on the streets i MIGHT grow to like them but after looking at the 93-02 camaro's i can tell you i never had to grow to like the way they looked at all, i just did from the get go. Guess in the end its all preference.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 03-29-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. First Test: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
  2. MT 2010 Camaro test video
    By gjb in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 08:26 PM
  3. MT 2010 Camaro test video
    By gjb in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
  4. new 2010 Camaro SS spied in AZ outside test site
    By terps in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •