Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

2010 SS Camaro Road Test

This is a discussion on 2010 SS Camaro Road Test within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Eric1987 Um quick question. Why the hell would you want a solid rear axle in the new ...

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Um quick question. Why the hell would you want a solid rear axle in the new camaro? Independent is better from what I have gathered. And from the person above. Remember the camaro is a MUSCLE car.
    Are "muscle cars" historically equipped with IRS? Are "muscle cars" typically thought of as "drag-oriented" or are they more "corner-carver" type of vehicles?

A solid axle is typically lighter, cheaper, and stronger. For drag racing, it is the preferred setup. For road racing, the IRS is typically preferred.

On bumpy roads, the IRS will provide a superior ride and in certain situations, better control.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by fox1x View Post
    I stated in my post in the last line that: "I know it's a heavy car..." I'm just not impressed with the car's performance. It's got the same Performance as a Honda Accord V6 and Maxima V6. It's slower than a Mitsibishi Eclipse V6 and a slew of other vehicles(with 300 HP). I'm saying that for the Horsepower of the V6 I'm dissaponited in t he performance. I know you can mod a car, that's not the point. Stock, the 300 ponies the car has and the times it clicks off are terrible. I just wish it wasn't such a fat pig. I would rather opt for the Cobalt SS or the Sky Redline or Solstice Redline. Being a chevy fan and performance oriented; looks aren't the top of my list. Of course I knoe the argument will be just get the V8 Camaro. Which I would.. But my topic is that the 300 pony Camaro's performance number suck for having 300 Horse. Just my opinion; not saying it's right.
    The times are not terrible for the power to weight ratio. It has 12.6 lbs per horsepower. The cobalt SS is 1300 pounds lighter and only has 40 less HP so it is going to be a little faster because it has a better power to weight ratio. Just one car as an example. All of the cars you mentioned are lighter and have a better power to weight ratio than the new camaro

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I just dont understand still to this day why cars get heavier and heavier with all that technology we have now. Yes i know, they add airbags and other bracing to make the cars safe but cars are getting several hundred pounds heavier and adding 100 more HP and then turning around adding 300 more pounds, generally speaking doesnt really convince me buying a new car. Even if they add no hp or tq for example to LS1 motor or whatever other motor but reduce weight it will handle, brake and accelerate better not to mention better gas mileage. I guess it has to be cheaper dumping tons of money on coming out with a new engine making more power then reducing weight and making the car better overall. To me id take a LS1 that weighs about 3150-3200 lbs(if they got it to weigh that much) over a 420 hp 3750+ lbs car any day of the week.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 03-27-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I just dont understand still to this day why cars get heavier and heavier with all that technology we have now. Yes i know, they add airbags and other bracing to make the cars safe but cars are getting several hundred pounds heavier and adding 100 more HP and then turning around adding 300 more pounds, generally speaking doesnt really convince me buying a new car. Even if they add no hp or tq for example to LS1 motor or whatever other motor but reduce weight it will handle, brake and accelerate better not to mention better gas mileage. I guess it has to be cheaper dumping tons of money on coming out with a new engine making more power then reducing weight and making the car better overall. To me id take a LS1 that weighs about 3150-3200 lbs(if they got it to weigh that much) over a 420 hp 3750+ lbs car any day of the week.
    A lot of the weight is safety related stuff. The lighter the safety stuff the more the cost, hence why the car is almost 4,000 pounds. The 4th gens were light, but I would not want to get into a crash with one.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 03-27-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Just imagine if GM decides to make the Z28!
    GM wouldn't be building anything without the tax payers.

If GM survives and they build the Camaro it will replace the Toyota Tunda as the ugliest piece of shit on the road.

Damn, that is one ugly piece of shit. The only way I would have one is if someone gave me one. I'd knock the rear glass out of it and remove the trunk lid and butcher it up enough to simulate a pickup so I could haul dirt around on my property, throw my dog box in the back of it and pull my john boat down to the river. I'd have to knock the grill off it. It'd make my beagles laugh so hard they wouldn't be able to run for shit.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAlN CAVEMAN View Post
    GM wouldn't be building anything without the tax payers.

If GM survives and they build the Camaro it will replace the Toyota Tunda as the ugliest piece of shit on the road.

Damn, that is one ugly piece of shit. The only way I would have one is if someone gave me one. I'd knock the rear glass out of it and remove the trunk lid and butcher it up enough to simulate a pickup so I could haul dirt around on my property, throw my dog box in the back of it and pull my john boat down to the river. I'd have to knock the grill off it. It'd make my beagles laugh so hard they wouldn't be able to run for shit.
    You're a little Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs, aren't you

I will agree that they are ugly though....I'm still optimistic that the aftermarket world will be able to help on that issue... but I'm still only interested in the motor, I have my lighter, solid axle (albeit swapped for a bigger, better solid axle ASAP) Camaro to toy with

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    You're a little Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs, aren't you

I will agree that they are ugly though....I'm still optimistic that the aftermarket world will be able to help on that issue... but I'm still only interested in the motor, I have my lighter, solid axle (albeit swapped for a bigger, better solid axle ASAP) Camaro to toy with
    Eh... I think it looks better than the Mustangs. Not my cup of tea though. If the challenger was less expensive and lighter I would get one. I love the looks of those. I am gonna stick with my GTO and WS-6 for a while. Maybe I will get a 5th gen when they are 4+ years old and cheap

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Eh... I think it looks better than the Mustangs. Not my cup of tea though. If the challenger was less expensive and lighter I would get one. I love the looks of those. I am gonna stick with my GTO and WS-6 for a while. Maybe I will get a 5th gen when they are 4+ years old and cheap
    Agreed. I'll actually have another 4th gen before I get a 5th, wifey wants a black SS

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Agreed. I'll actually have another 4th gen before I get a 5th, wifey wants a black SS
    I probably will too. If I can sell my T/A Im going to buy a Convertible SS/ or WS6.

My wife loves my T/A but can't drive it. She is 5' and can't see over the hood

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I probably will too. If I can sell my T/A Im going to buy a Convertible SS/ or WS6.

My wife loves my T/A but can't drive it. She is 5' and can't see over the hood
    My wife's only 2 inches taller, I think that's what steered her away from the WS6. Seems like the SS hood is a little calmer....til I get my VFN 3" SS hood By then she'll have her car though

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Are "muscle cars" historically equipped with IRS? Are "muscle cars" typically thought of as "drag-oriented" or are they more "corner-carver" type of vehicles?

A solid axle is typically lighter, cheaper, and stronger. For drag racing, it is the preferred setup. For road racing, the IRS is typically preferred.

On bumpy roads, the IRS will provide a superior ride and in certain situations, better control.
    Was IRS even around historically? And yes they're drag oriented but they need to appeal to the general market too. You cant ONLY make them drag. And a solid axle you can hardly go around a damn turn normally. Something so ancient shouldnt be in our new camaros.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The SS is out. From what I have read the Z28 was going to be a special edition with a Z28 only engine (much like the 1st gens were.) Sort of fits the retro theme I guess.

And that motor in most of the articles I have seen was rumored to be the supercharged version of the new Z06 vette engine.

Like anything else though, it remains to be seen.
    the proposed Z28 was to have the LSA (550hp) out of the cts-v but has been put on hold due to the shitty economy

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Was IRS even around historically? And yes they're drag oriented but they need to appeal to the general market too. You cant ONLY make them drag. And a solid axle you can hardly go around a damn turn normally. Something so ancient shouldnt be in our new camaros.
    Historically? Check your Corvette history (others too, but that should be an easy one).

Drag oriented? Show me serious drag cars that use an IRS, please. For every one you *might* find, I'll show you a thousand that don't.

Solid axles can't go around a turn normally? How on earth does your 98 Z28 Vert even get out of your driveway (assuming you have one)? Abnormally?

That said...I never said that they should make the Camaro "drag only", and understand perfectly why GM put the IRS in the car.

BTW...check out skidpad numbers between the new Camaro and a new Mustang. C&D, R&T, others have current comparison's between those cars. See what they say.

Of course, if there were BUMPY skidpads....which is where the IRS makes a difference...that would be a different story. But suggesting that a car can't "hardly go around a turn normally" (your words) is looney toons, and reeks of ignorance.

As for the original question....I say again...what MUSCLE CARS have had IRS? Do you know what a "Muscle Car" is? About the only one I can think of that might qualify is the 2004-2006 GTO....which was, of course, a foreign car with a Pontiac nose.

Perhaps you're experience and knowledge is limited to only this decade?

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Of course its only limited to this decade im only 22 years old. And of course I didnt mean LITERALLY couldnt take a corner. Now you taking it like that "reeks of ignorance". I was under the impression that IRS was fairly new. So that would also tell you that of course a lot of cars dont have it. And a solid axle is such ancient technology its pathetic. Hell top gear made fun of it because they're FINALLY putting a independent rear in. They should of done it with the 98s and up. You know the old saying. All that power and no way to get it to the ground.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Of course its only limited to this decade im only 22 years old. And of course I didnt mean LITERALLY couldnt take a corner. Now you taking it like that "reeks of ignorance". I was under the impression that IRS was fairly new. So that would also tell you that of course a lot of cars dont have it. And a solid axle is such ancient technology its pathetic. Hell top gear made fun of it because they're FINALLY putting a independent rear in. They should of done it with the 98s and up. You know the old saying. All that power and no way to get it to the ground.
    First of all... lets quit flaming this thread.

Secondly, you can go both ways on your likes or dislikes of IRS. Yeah, it may corner better and ride better, but solid axles will always be better in a straight line. Plus live axles are more durable and cheaper to maintain. Either way, if it is set up properly, both could be fantastic. I could go either way, I am in no way biased, but the Top Gear guys usually hate everything American anyway.... right? I do love that show though!

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Uh my axle on my camaro isnt durable and cheaper. But I am not flaming or getting mad I am just trying to understand why anyone would downgrade to a ancient tech. Thats all.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

has anybody read or head if the new Camaro has that 1-4 shift thing like the 4th gens did ??

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

LOL. I suggest educating yourself prior to making some of the statements you did. Friendly advice...take it or leave it.

Very (very) few "muscle cars" have IRS, or have had IRS. Also, most folks don't consider cars like the Corvette....or even the Mustang or Camaro....to be "Muscle Cars". But I guess you could add the new Challenger and perhaps cars like the new Charger to the "Muscle Car" genre.

"Top Gear" doesn't like much of anything American....in case you haven't noticed.

As for getting power to the ground....see "education" above. I will assume you are referring to cornering (because NOBODY would be...uh...well...lets say nobody would assume you meant drag racing)...even though some of those "ancient technology" equipped cars seem to do ok. Maybe a search of some of "stock type" road racing associations would be a good start? And no, I'm not referring to NASCAR.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Uh my axle on my camaro isnt durable and cheaper. But I am not flaming or getting mad I am just trying to understand why anyone would downgrade to a ancient tech. Thats all.
    Because there are some applications (see Drag Racing) in which that ancient technology is more suited. A live axle is typically lighter, cheaper, stronger, easier to setup, and easier to work on than an IRS. All those things mean something to some. Might not mean much to you or even the vast majority of folks - and that's ok.

FYI....99/01 & 03/04 Cobras come with IRS (band-aided as it is). A very popular modification is the swap to a live axle...for all the reasons I stated above. No kidding.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    has anybody read or head if the new Camaro has that 1-4 shift thing like the 4th gens did ??
    Yes it does.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information