Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

2010 SS Camaro Road Test

This is a discussion on 2010 SS Camaro Road Test within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Just like LS1 F-bodys, the car will go 11's with bolt-ons fairly regularly. It makes a lot more stock power ...

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Just like LS1 F-bodys, the car will go 11's with bolt-ons fairly regularly. It makes a lot more stock power than the LS1, though is hampered by the extra weight. That would be my main concern....once folks start pushing the envelope with mostly-stock drivetrain components (tranny, rear, etc), the abundant weight is going to start breaking things.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Just like LS1 F-bodys, the car will go 11's with bolt-ons fairly regularly. It makes a lot more stock power than the LS1, though is hampered by the extra weight. That would be my main concern....once folks start pushing the envelope with mostly-stock drivetrain components (tranny, rear, etc), the abundant weight is going to start breaking things.
    I could see a possibly large aftermarket in weight reducing components in the near future... That's really the main thing these cars need, aside from a strengthened IRS maybe, we'll see what these new rears can handle. I can't wait to see one lowered with some nice iForged, Forgeline, HRE, or similar wheel, staggered. Wonder also what maximum width wheel you can have on these... I would hope at least 11" like the 4th gens...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I could see a possibly large aftermarket in weight reducing components in the near future... That's really the main thing these cars need, aside from a strengthened IRS maybe, we'll see what these new rears can handle. I can't wait to see one lowered with some nice iForged, Forgeline, HRE, or similar wheel, staggered. Wonder also what maximum width wheel you can have on these... I would hope at least 11" like the 4th gens...
    You will find any reason to start talking about your damn Forgelines!!!

I'm excited to see what the aftermarket comes up with. The good thing is the LS3 has been around for a couple years so those engine components should be readily available, but I agree with the IRS... possible titanium half shafts?!?!?! Would be awesome! Or what about the first guy to swap for a live rear axle?!?! Our dealer is expecting the Camaros to start arriving in the next couple days...and I have a boner.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    You will find any reason to start talking about your damn Forgelines!!!

I'm excited to see what the aftermarket comes up with. The good thing is the LS3 has been around for a couple years so those engine components should be readily available, but I agree with the IRS... possible titanium half shafts?!?!?! Would be awesome! Or what about the first guy to swap for a live rear axle?!?! Our dealer is expecting the Camaros to start arriving in the next couple days...and I have a boner.
    No, they don't even make mine any more, and some of their newer lines of wheels are SSSSSSEEEXXXYYY!! I just can't afford them, what I paid for my set, they charge per wheel new

I agree with the LS3 part, plus they are pretty well suited for FI as well, I think that's why they used it as a base for the LS9, for it's lower compression I believe. And I'll bet Moser already has a headstart on getting a solid axle rear for them

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Lowered doesn't lend itself to better 1/4 mile times on street cars.

If you're going to lighten the car, the lightest possible wheels (vice nice looking) will be required.

Not sure what aftermarket parts will be available for getting the car much lighter. Hood perhaps. Otherwise, its going to be a matter of pulling stuff out of it (much like any other street car).

A live axle swap would likely be a good move...though with this new chassis, what will be available?

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Lowered doesn't lend itself to better 1/4 mile times on street cars.
    As far as my comment on that, it's just for looks. I think the 5th gens sit too high, just my opinion of course.

If you're going to lighten the car, the lightest possible wheels (vice nice looking) will be required.
    Again, I was just talking about making the car look less like an eyesore. And I think Billet Specialties, Bogarts, or some Welds would look pretty sick as well.

Not sure what aftermarket parts will be available for getting the car much lighter. Hood perhaps. Otherwise, its going to be a matter of pulling stuff out of it (much like any other street car).

A live axle swap would likely be a good move...though with this new chassis, what will be available?
    I wonder what the weight is on this IRS versus the weight of a straight axle... I would imagine the straight axle would be lighter, but I could be mistaken. Do IRS systems have torque arms? I'm going to have to find a pic of it to see what kind of monster it is...

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Here's a pretty good discussion on 5th gen IRS

http://5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4978

I wonder what the weight is on this IRS versus the weight of a straight axle... I would imagine the straight axle would be lighter, but I could be mistaken.
    Typically,,,,yes the IRS setups weigh a little more than a solid axle. Just by how much really depends greatly on design of the IRS and which solid axle we are talking about.

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Typically,,,,yes the IRS setups weigh a little more than a solid axle. Just by how much really depends greatly on design of the IRS and which solid axle we are talking about.
    Well....let's say Moser makes some sort of 9" for the 5th gen (not sure how possible that is but just hypothetically)

Well....let's say Moser makes some sort of 9" for the 5th gen (not sure how possible that is but just hypothetically)
    Well a 9 inch is typically about the heaviest of the solid axles with the exception of a Dana 60.
    You could even use an aluminum center section to take some weight out of the 9 inch (albiet with a strength penalty), as well as gun drilled axles etc.... So they can be considerably lightened.

I guess the next question would be to see how the 5th gen IRS is designed and how heavy it is. Typically they require alot of brackets and bracing bolted to the structure of the car to support that center section. Then usually 2 sets of control arms on each side etc..

I can only give you an example of some older stuff. A friend of mine had a 71 454 vette that he ran in NHRA super stock. He ran the IRS for a while with high dollar axles and joints so it would live. But it squatted so bad it limited launch rpm and wasn't condusive to good dragstrip performance. I helped him remove it all for a solid axle 9 inch and it did remove some weight from the car. Although I can't remember how much, it's been 12 years ago. But I do know the car did 60 foot better and went faster as a result.

I would think that although this was an older car the IRS still has just as many parts. They may design them better by now and may possibly even be lighter than years before, but I'm willing to bet it's still heavy and is adding to some of the heft this car has.

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well a 9 inch is typically about the heaviest of the solid axles with the exception of a Dana 60.
    You could even use an aluminum center section to take some weight out of the 9 inch (albiet with a strength penalty), as well as gun drilled axles etc.... So they can be considerably lightened.

I guess the next question would be to see how the 5th gen IRS is designed and how heavy it is. Typically they require alot of brackets and bracing bolted to the structure of the car to support that center section. Then usually 2 sets of control arms on each side etc..

I can only give you an example of some older stuff. A friend of mine had a 71 454 vette that he ran in NHRA super stock. He ran the IRS for a while with high dollar axles and joints so it would live. But it squatted so bad it limited launch rpm and wasn't condusive to good dragstrip performance. I helped him remove it all for a solid axle 9 inch and it did remove some weight from the car. Although I can't remember how much, it's been 12 years ago. But I do know the car did 60 foot better and went faster as a result.

I would think that although this was an older car the IRS still has just as many parts. They may design them better by now and may possibly even be lighter than years before, but I'm willing to bet it's still heavy and is adding to some of the heft this car has.
    Good stuff, thanks

Good stuff, thanks
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpfull.
    Although somewhat off subject I do remember the pains that the IRS gave Steve on that vette. He was running 122-123 mph which was right with the other competitors in his class, but he would only ET in the 11.20's Which was way off the pace. That just doesn't cut it when you are class racing in NHRA.
    I know the vette imediately dropped into the 10.80 range once the solid axle was in place and it had more in it.

Slowass SUX!!

09 Sierra Denali AWD
    2001 T/A WS6 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Just imagine if GM decides to make the Z28!
    There making an SS alittle better than plain z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001ws6 View Post
    There making an SS alittle better than plain z28
    The SS is out. From what I have read the Z28 was going to be a special edition with a Z28 only engine (much like the 1st gens were.) Sort of fits the retro theme I guess.

And that motor in most of the articles I have seen was rumored to be the supercharged version of the new Z06 vette engine.

Like anything else though, it remains to be seen.

With a 111 trap, there is no reason that shouldn't be a high 12 second car. Granted, I'm sure there is some driving skill required; but 13 flat @111; definitly a car that should be in the 12's. I'm impressed.

However, I think the V6 Camaro's performance is terrible; probably the worst I've seen out of 300 ponies. I mean, a new Honda Accord runs a 14.5, the same they tested the Camaro at. A 300 HP 350Z is a second faster, the Cobalt SS is in the 13's, a 300HP BMW 135 is low 13's, a 300 HP Mustang GT is mid 13's. For 300 HP, I'm didappointed with the performance. I know it's a heavy car and all, but come on.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by fox1x View Post
    With a 111 trap, there is no reason that shouldn't be a high 12 second car. Granted, I'm sure there is some driving skill required; but 13 flat @111; definitly a car that should be in the 12's. I'm impressed.

However, I think the V6 Camaro's performance is terrible; probably the worst I've seen out of 300 ponies. I mean, a new Honda Accord runs a 14.5, the same they tested the Camaro at. A 300 HP 350Z is a second faster, the Cobalt SS is in the 13's, a 300HP BMW 135 is low 13's, a 300 HP Mustang GT is mid 13's. For 300 HP, I'm didappointed with the performance. I know it's a heavy car and all, but come on.
    did you see how heavy the car is? It is about the same weight as the GTO. 14.5 is pretty respectable for a car that size with 300HP. There is also less torque in the V-6 which is important to get the car moving. The gear ratio is also pretty Tall which doesnt help.. Throw a couple bolt ons at it and it will be in the 13's. The base model of any car's selling point isnt supposed to be performance... It is just a nice bonus.

I stated in my post in the last line that: "I know it's a heavy car..." I'm just not impressed with the car's performance. It's got the same Performance as a Honda Accord V6 and Maxima V6. It's slower than a Mitsibishi Eclipse V6 and a slew of other vehicles(with 300 HP). I'm saying that for the Horsepower of the V6 I'm dissaponited in t he performance. I know you can mod a car, that's not the point. Stock, the 300 ponies the car has and the times it clicks off are terrible. I just wish it wasn't such a fat pig. I would rather opt for the Cobalt SS or the Sky Redline or Solstice Redline. Being a chevy fan and performance oriented; looks aren't the top of my list. Of course I knoe the argument will be just get the V8 Camaro. Which I would.. But my topic is that the 300 pony Camaro's performance number suck for having 300 Horse. Just my opinion; not saying it's right.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Um quick question. Why the hell would you want a solid rear axle in the new camaro? Independent is better from what I have gathered. And from the person above. Remember the camaro is a MUSCLE car.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I was personally impressed with the V6's numbers. Considering that it's moving a heavy car as quick and as fast through the 1/4 as say the V8 5.0 and 4.6 mustangs which were lighter and torquier.

Honda Accord V6 - performance model
    Maxima V6 - performance model
    Mitsibishi Eclipse V6 - performance model
    Cobalt SS - performance model
    Sky Redline - performance model
    Solstice Redline - performance model
    Camaro V6 - non-performance model

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Um quick question. Why the hell would you want a solid rear axle in the new camaro? Independent is better from what I have gathered. And from the person above. Remember the camaro is a MUSCLE car.
    Solid axle axle is better for Straight Line racing. Independent rear is harder to launch without wheel hop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information