Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

2010 Camaro Vs 2009 Challenger

I have a friend at work who has a 2002 WS6 and we talk cars pretty frequently.

Before I get to the subject, I'd like to mention that this guy talks a lot of crap. I mean A LOT; he's a HUGE exaggerator and fabricates pointless lies on a daily basis, especially concerning autos.

So recently we've spoken some about the 2010 Camaro, which he hates. He does, however, love the newest Challenger. Now I don't have a problem with that, those are his opinions and I can easily understand why someone might lean toward one car more than the other, but his reasons are ridiculous.

For one, he says the 2010 Camaro weighs 800 pounds more than the Challenger. Right.

He also says the Challenger is faster than the Camaro, among other things.

Can someone lead me to a spec sheet of the two or some sort of article? I remember reading in a Motor Trend magazine (or something similar) of a face-off between the Camaro/Challenger/Mustang and the Camaro trumped them both.

Someone back me up here so I can print out some cold hard facts for this dude!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't know about the test Motor Trend did, but here are the base curb weights on the two cars.

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 4,140 lbs.
    2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS: 3,860 lbs.
    2010 Ford Mustang GT: 3,401 lbs.

This is from Edmunds.com and they even classify the Challenger as a 'Large Coupe' and the Camaro as a 'Midsize Coupe'. Both are very heavy cars, but your buddy needs to get his facts straight before he starts flappin' his lips.
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 06-28-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

There's this:

Wrap
    Perhaps it is a strange time for the arrival of retro-infused pony cars. We're not complaining. Gift horses aren't something we look in the mouth. What we didn't expect with these ponies was their variety. If you want something that plucks your heartstrings like no other car, the Challenger is it. Racers will probably gravitate toward the spry and established Mustang.

But there can only be one winner, and the Camaro SS is clearly that. No longer does it have to apologize for its performance with a bang-for-the-buck cop-out — though it handily snatches that crown, too. It packs a talented chassis, performance and, yes, attitude at a price within the reach of working-class stiffs.

There's little more to be said than the Camaro is back. In a big way. And SS once again truly means Super Sport.

The manufacturers provided Edmunds these vehicles for the purposes of evaluation.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro Buzz Station

And, the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=163762

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Those are some good writeup's Dena.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Thanks for everything guys. Looking forward to throwing this in his face tomorrow

Hugger Orange
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

make sure you let us know how he reacts when you crush him

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

IDK if i'd say the Camaro is the clear winner. Of course I am biased and it clearly exceeds in the areas that I am concerned about, acceleration, braking, and it handles decently.

If you look at the Car and Driver review, you'll be disappointed, it has the Mustang beating them both, with like 100 less hp...kinda sad. I didn't like their rating system, but the Camaro clearly beats the Challenger R/T not SRT in both the Car and Driver and Motor Trend article.

So is your friend talking SRT or R/T? Cuz I don't think there has been a comparison on the Camaro against the SRT-8 yet.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    IDK if i'd say the Camaro is the clear winner. Of course I am biased and it clearly exceeds in the areas that I am concerned about, acceleration, braking, and it handles decently.

If you look at the Car and Driver review, you'll be disappointed, it has the Mustang beating them both, with like 100 less hp...kinda sad. I didn't like their rating system, but the Camaro clearly beats the Challenger R/T not SRT in both the Car and Driver and Motor Trend article.

So is your friend talking SRT or R/T? Cuz I don't think there has been a comparison on the Camaro against the SRT-8 yet.
    True, the comparrison was done on price range more so than the best model of each car. Even though the challenger SRT-8 is clearly the best hp competition atm. 422hp vs 425hp and they say the new srt-8 engine for 2010 or 11 is going to have a higher comp ratio and some other little things changed around and be a 450hp engine.

All the review say that the challenger is out braked, handled and powered by the new camaro. So what is this guy talking about?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I think the only part the challenger is the obvious winner is interior volume....woo hoo

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Maybe your buddy just likes the looks of the Challenger better. I do and I have been Camaroboy my whole life. When I see an SRT my thumb automatically goes up and when I see the new Camaro I don't feel anything. The Camaro will outperform the Challenger RT but ya cant put a price on looks and how someone feels about a car. Either way he cant go wrong in my opinion. On a side note, I was talking to a dude with an 09 Challenger RT and he mentioned now that Fiat is part owner that they are cancelling Challenger and SRT program---Not sure if that true or not.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

So I showed the guy the spec sheets and I was amazed when he admitted he was wrong! Funny thing though - that guy is mad at me over the dumbest crap (not related to this story) and isn't talking to me. He's 53 and acts like an 8 year old.

Hilarious side story though - he told me about a month ago that his '02 WS6 weighs 1,100 pounds. This is, once again, another example of just how much BS this guy spits out. Anyway, I called him out on it and offered to pay him $100 to drive up on a weigh scale and have it read 1,100. He said "Nah, it's not worth it. I've got better stuff to do with my time." Really? A quick $100 just for driving up on a scale isn't worth his time? Later he said he was just joking and that his car actually weighs 1,800 pounds. This guy really deserves to be knocked senseless (as if he wasn't already...).

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

FWIW: Our cars weigh in the 3400-3500 range (depending on options). B4C's are about 3200-3300.

Lighter than the 5th gen and considerably less than a Challenger (over 2 tons).

Also, don't let your co-worker give my generation a bad name as there are bad apples in every barrel.

black
    02 vette vert

old guys are a pita.

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    old guys are a pita.
    "Old" is a relative term. When you were 8, anybody 13 was "old". When you were 13, anybody 20 was "old".

Age is supposed to come with wisdom. However, this guy was either dropped on his head when he was younger, or got some bad acid at a John Denver concert in the 70s. It doesn't excuse his idiocy; it merely explains it.

Challenger is heavier than a Camaro. The rest of the performance attributes or shortfalls are now a matter of physics.

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

FWIW: Our cars weigh in the 3400-3500 range (depending on options).
    Ah yes. Definitely well-aware of that. I weighed my car at 3,440 a few months ago on that same scale I mentioned. Which is why I immediately broke into laughter when the guy told me his WS6 weighed about 1/3 of that. He then attempted to tell me his frame was made out of "special material"...

Me: "Special material?" Wendell, even if your frame was made out of paper it would still weigh more than 1,100 pounds.

The guy is just...well...I don't even have any words to describe him.

Wait, I take that back - curmudgeon. That probably sums him up pretty accurately.

Red
    2000 SS

One thing I've clearly noticed in my years is that some folks can't help but to go around pretending to know everything. They are loud, obnoxious, and arrogant in their ignorance. Curmudgeon is a good description.

From the many encounters I've had with people like that, only one question remains: "What can you tell a person who thinks he knows everything?" The correct answer is "nothing".

I knew this one fellow, about 30-ish. Had a no-optioned 2002 Z-28. Ran his mouth constantly about his kills, and continuously offered to take all comers. Dozens tried, on track and off. Few beat him, and they usually lost on a re-match. This brought me to the conclusion a former heavyweight prizefighter once said: "It ain't braggin when you can do it" (or words to that effect).

Sorry for the diatribe.

black
    02 vette vert

possible causes of this type of behavior: short, suffering from little man syndrome, or maybe low self esteem, possibly from abuse. sometimes they dont even know that what they are saying is so far out there.

Thread Information