Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

2010 Camaro SS vs 2011 5.0 Mustang GT

This is a discussion on 2010 Camaro SS vs 2011 5.0 Mustang GT within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by justinmc978 what the mustang should have looked like IMO its already a tank so might as well ...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    Click for full size

what the mustang should have looked like IMO

its already a tank so might as well copy the big 71-73's look wise
    Bravo to that concept. I believe the 2010 camaro should have been patterened after second gen camaros myself. It's a tank with safety bumpers, perfect fit. Not a smaller more svette '69 style.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Click for full size

what the mustang should have looked like IMO

its already a tank so might as well copy the big 71-73's look wise
    That just looks absolutley horrible.

How about we just stick to the '11 Mustang we have now

And the car is really not that much of a tank either.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by dms motorsports View Post
    I am not talking about testing a highly LS7 Nickey Camaro and a fully equipped Saleen Mustang. Both these rides can be in the $75-$85k range, But if you could do it with the following:
    1. Street legal forced induction
    2. Long tube headers
    3. custom program
    4. Coil overs
    5. Bushings, bars, etc
    6. Wheels and tires set up for performance and street legal.

This is a under $50K Camaro and Mustang, and relatively popular combos.

The challenges I see in so many of the articles is the do not compare best OE performance to best OE performance. Case in point, last year most of the magazines used a Charger RT instead of a SRT8, which is radically different. That is bias!. You need to compare the Mustang GT with performance summer tires, and not all weather tires, that was just done. You need to compare the vehicles on the same track surface, same day, same driver and preferably 2 different pro drivers. It is crazy to compare data from different times, dates, and locations. Case in point, Last year's Motor Trend comparison has different results that this year. The Camaro did not change. What did? Driver, location, weather, different presets on the OE alignment, different ride heights, lots of things. The Mustang GT I believe has an optional Brembo braking system where as the Camaro SS is standard. The Mustang summer tires are much better than the OE Camaro SS due to the lower aspect ratios. So if they are using the optional Summer, lower aspect ratio tires on the Mustang, shouldn't they use the optional 21 inch wheels and tire s from GM that has a lower aspect ratio?

Lots of variable here and you really need to understand all the parameters of each of these tests.

mike
    dms
    the ss stops 60-0 in 117 feet. A base 2011 v6 mustang without brembos does it in 103. It does have the *standard* gt brakes along with the 3.31 limited slip
    sources: http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-coupe-38.html
    http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7042
    Last edited by wheeliE-maxx; 04-26-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    That just looks absolutley horrible.

How about we just stick to the '11 Mustang we have now

And the car is really not that much of a tank either.
    I agree the 2010 went back to the car kinda like the 03-04 .. and that is what the Camaro need to do ... retro is a good idea .. but cars need to be themselves ...

2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    You seem to have put a lot of thought into this .. So what if one is faster or handles better .. Big deal .. it wont be by much
    You are correct. We have put a lot of thought in it because we will be doing this exact test. We have the fastest street Camaro on a track with street tires in the USA. We have a 2010 Mustang GT and are all done with the R&D of the Mustang suspension, custom wheels and tires. We are now getting the blower, and fixing up the body so we can do the testing this year. But the challenge for us is publishing the data in a comparison. Who will be piss off?? We think we know which vehicle will be on top. But do we want to discuss it or compare them?

mike
    dms

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Hum maybe but

Quote Originally Posted by najaf4life View Post
    Well.. I have seen on this site and another about the new 5.0L spanking the SS that was a auto... well got the new Car and Driver magazine in the mail... since people wanna use a magazine last time/video.. lets use this one... Both Cars (2011 GT and 2010 SS) went 0-60 in 4.6sec... the 1/4 times are... GT 13.2@109 / SS 13.0@111 ......
    My buddy pulled a 12.6 at 112mph with slicks 2010 ss 6 speed with a hyperteck programmer stock

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

There is no doubt that GM has the Camaro built with enough structure to handle a ridiculous amount of power. However, adding lightness is a proven method of increasing performance. If Katech can take 300 pounds out of a 3200-pound Z06 without losing strength (Z06 ClubSport), why can't somebody deliver us a 3700-pound 2010 Camaro SS? Better yet, since the Z06 is already a light car, why not try to cut 400-500 pounds off of the Camaro? Bigger cam and full exhaust will bring LS3/L99 power over 525, and and with 3500-3700 pounds of car that will do just fine

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

ever seen a camaro next to a fourth gen? it dwarfs it. they are just big vehicles. and making a fully aluminum/carbonfiber body for one like the z06/zr1 has just isnt cost effective. however making a factory stripper without 246 airbags, high definition rearviews, cup holder heaters or whatever the hell new cars have nowadays that add 100s of lbs of weight.. is much more feasable...

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

ever seen a camaro next to a fourth gen? it dwarfs it. they are just big vehicles. and making a fully aluminum/carbon fiber body for one like the z06/zr1 has just isnt cost effective. however making a factory stripper without 246 airbags, high definition rear views, cup holder heaters or whatever the hell new cars have nowadays that add 100s of lbs of weight.. is much more feasible...
    or just wait till the CTS Coupe comes out ..
    Chevy seems to love this high door sills small window look .. IDK ...
    Last edited by snaggeltooth; 04-26-2010 at 07:40 PM.

ever seen a camaro next to a fourth gen? it dwarfs it. they are just big vehicles. and making a fully aluminum/carbonfiber body for one like the z06/zr1 has just isnt cost effective. however making a factory stripper without 246 airbags, high definition rearviews, cup holder heaters or whatever the hell new cars have nowadays that add 100s of lbs of weight.. is much more feasable...
    My point exactly. Katech dropped 300 pounds out of the Z06, which already has an amuminum frame. So somebody should able to drop at least that much out of the Camaro SS without changing frames (which is ridiculous to even talk about anyway because Zeta II has unit body construction).

or just wait till the CTS Coupe comes out ..
    FYI: the CTS coupe is heavier than the Camaro.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVIcJON6CaA&feature=related[/ame]

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

FYI: the CTS coupe is heavier than the Camaro.

sure in Caddy form ..You have to imagine it with Chevy front clip and rear tail..

silver
    2002 ws6

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

the 4th and 5th gen have almost the same dimentions.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    Click for full size
    got a pic of them nose to nose ???

1998 Trans Am

here they are facing the same orientation to not create illutions, looks narrower and shorter to me... all that extra metal on the roof and to form the broad widths of the hood and rear quarters ad a few IMO, i mean even the wheels are 3, 4, 5 inches larger stock for stock, thats more weight right there
    Last edited by justinmc978; 04-26-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

here they are facing the same orientation to not create illutions, looks narrower and shorter to me... all that extra metal on the roof and to form the broad widths of the hood and rear quarters ad a few IMO, i mean even the wheels are 3, 4, 5 inches larger stock for stock, thats more weight right there
    Click for full size
    dont care what anybody says I hate big rims .. anything over 18" is to big ..

silver
    2002 ws6

got a pic of them nose to nose ???
    this is all i have

I have spent the last couple hours on the Pedders site, and have come to the conclusion that I would enjoy a 5th gen, but with some significant weight-loss effort, full Pedders suspension, and an interior remodel. I'm sorry but I can't stand the gauges or the radio. While I'm in there, I might as well install lighter seats and speakers too in the end, I know I'm just going to wait another year and shoot for a Z06 like I've been planning all along.
    Last edited by RJWZ28; 04-26-2010 at 08:57 PM.

1998 Trans Am

dont care what anybody says I hate big rims .. anything over 18" is to big ..
    they have to be big to fit the gaping 5th gen wheel wells, but yeah on 4th gens agreed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information