Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

2010 Camaro on the Cover!!!

The newest edition of Road and Track was in my mail box yesterday, and it has a decent little write up on the new Camaro, I'll give you guys a few of the highlights.
    "Slated to bow in the first quarter of 2009 as an early 2010 model, it's expected that the Camaro will be offered in three trim levels: LS, LT, and SS. The base LS may be powered by Chevy's 3.5 liter V-6 making about 220bhp. The LT models would use the overhead cam direct-injected 3.6 liter V-6 developing upward of 300bhp, while the SS will be powered by a 6.2 liter LS3 V-8 (similar to that found in the Corvette) tuned to produce around 400-405bhp."

The article goes on to say that a year later a Vert will be released, and later after that a Z28 model will hit the streets with a LS9 style motor ala ZR1 making 480-500bhp. The Camaro will be offered with a 6 speed auto or 6speed manual, and the price of admission starts at $20,000 and goes up to the mid to upper $30,000 range for the SS model.

They have some great pictures included and it talks about GM testing the car at the famed Nurburgring track and the results. I don't want to give away everything in the article guys! Wait until you see those brakes!

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

thanks going to buy magazine right now!!!! but i wonder why the z28 would have more hp than the ss the ss is suppose to be the flagship model

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris7000 View Post
    thanks going to buy magazine right now!!!! but i wonder why the z28 would have more hp than the ss the ss is suppose to be the flagship model
    incorrect... you gotta go back to 69... the z28 was originally the top dog... GM just got away from that concept in the laters years of the camaro

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

i understand that but I speaking as of now the ss is suppose to be top dog las gen camaro ss top dog z28 mid level las gen impala ss top dog lt mid level. c what im saying

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    incorrect... you gotta go back to 69... the z28 was originally the top dog... GM just got away from that concept in the laters years of the camaro
    Incorrect again my friend! It is you who needs to go back and bust out the history books. When you say that the Z28 was "top dog" in 1969, and I had one by the way. It was the mighty SS model that had the 375hp Big Block 396,(two engines to chose from, one mechanically lifted, the other hydralically lifted) while the Z28 had the little screaming Mouse Motor, albeit vastly under rated at only 290hp. In Chevy's entire line up across the board, and across the years, it has always been the SS models that have had the most HP. ie Impalas, Chevelles, Novas, and lately even the trucks and the Cobalts, although I'm not so sure I'm pleased with that last one having the Monikor.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

If the Z28 does have more HP, I would clone it to a SS. There's just something about Super Sport that has a ring to it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Chant it with me folks:

Vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert....

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

i thought i was right!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Anyone else disappointed in it? I read the article at work yeasterday, and I gotta say, I'm not impressed.

Sure the motor is great, but I just can't seem to like the exterior, and that dash pic looks horrible! I see where they're going, as far as the '69 styling cues, but IMO it just doesn't work.

The Challenger, on the other hand, is f'in A bad ASS.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

It better be able to own a Mustang!

Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

If I were to get one, it'd be the ls9. However, the gas door is on the wrong side of the car. I have to think about what I think about that.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I can see this getting confusing..

"What Kind of Camaro do you have?"
    "I have an LT Camaro"
    "Oh, too bad you didn't get one with an LS.. those are faster"

Having the levels the names of the engines from the previous gen was prob not the best idea...

And the Mustangs are already producing 500hp out of the box... I hope GM's underrating the SS yet again...
    Last edited by Silver Streak; 06-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    I can see this getting a confusing..

"I have an LT Camaro"

Having the levels the names of the engines from the previous gen was prob not the best idea...

And the Mustangs are already producing 500hp out of the box... I hope GM's underrating the SS yet again...
    Take That GM, here's more ...................

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Incorrect again my friend! It is you who needs to go back and bust out the history books. When you say that the Z28 was "top dog" in 1969, and I had one by the way. It was the mighty SS model that had the 375hp Big Block 396,(two engines to chose from, one mechanically lifted, the other hydralically lifted) while the Z28 had the little screaming Mouse Motor, albeit vastly under rated at only 290hp. In Chevy's entire line up across the board, and across the years, it has always been the SS models that have had the most HP. ie Impalas, Chevelles, Novas, and lately even the trucks and the Cobalts, although I'm not so sure I'm pleased with that last one having the Monikor.
    I stand corrected... sorry bout that... at any rate, this is gonna be one bad ass car no matter how they do it... i dont care what everyone says. Hell im ready to put a down payment on one... ill take blue with black stripes and an ls3

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Chant it with me folks:

Vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert, vert....

Vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS vert SS LOL

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    I can see this getting confusing..

"I have an LT Camaro"

only mustang with 500 out the box is the gt500 cobra which is suppose to give the corvette z06 a run for its money , its not in the same class as the camaro where the gt is in the camaro class the gt 500 cobra also costs about 55 grand where the top of the line ss will be mid 30 grand cant put both cars in same group. also check the new motor trend the 2010 mustang gt will have 400 hp out the box with a 6.2 sohc engine so the new mustang will be close to the maro in hp.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris7000 View Post
    only mustang with 500 out the box is the gt500 cobra which is suppose to give the corvette z06 a run for its money , its not in the same class as the camaro where the gt is in the camaro class the gt 500 cobra also costs about 55 grand where the top of the line ss will be mid 30 grand cant put both cars in same group. also check the new motor trend the 2010 mustang gt will have 400 hp out the box with a 6.2 sohc engine so the new mustang will be close to the maro in hp.
    damn ford... i think they finnaly got that it dosent take a supercharger to beat us, it just takes some actual engineering... theyll still probably fail though lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    damn ford... i think they finnaly got that it dosent take a supercharger to beat us, it just takes some actual engineering... theyll still probably fail though lol
    ...*cough* LS9 *cough*

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

while a lot of info in here is less than reliable, it seems to me, all this talk about the z28 being the higher optioned car and being faster, and gm going back to their roots. blah blah blah, the z28 was ONLY an option so that gm could participate in the trans am racing in the late 60's and early 70's. just like nascar, gm had to make the z28 available to the public with a minumum of units to be elgible, thus the aar cuda, the z28 camaro and a few others.

however the ss in my personal opinion should always be the top dog, but in the last few years gm has done a good job of ruining that legacy with cars like the ss malibu, the hhr and the cobalt, none of those cars should have been labeled ss but rather another name, its all a marketing strategy used by all the auto manufacturers.

so basically what im saying, is traditionally the z28 rings camaro more than ss. and my point will only get stronger with every stupid ss malibu and cobalt and monte carlo to hit the streets.

i would prefer they use ss, but not the same style as the new cars, but rather the old style similar to the cars we are driving around today.

also as far as the mustang and hoping that the camaro will own it, no worries my friends we dont need hopes and dreams and superchargers to hang onto driving the top domestic muscle car, we just need great engineering big tires and big cubic inches. the rest will be history the mustang will fold once again, and you and i will be kicking sand in the gt500's face with our new s/c camaro.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i read a similar article. except the one that i read talked about how ford was struggling to make an engine to beef up the mustang to keep up with the specs of the new camaros.... it will be a beautiful day... if hte damn thing ever does come out.

Thread Information