Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

2002 vs 2010 Camaro

This is a discussion on 2002 vs 2010 Camaro within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 2001SSCamaro#2516 It is a stock SS (I bought it new) with the air box cut out and ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001SSCamaro#2516 View Post
    It is a stock SS (I bought it new) with the air box cut out and loudmouth exhaust. Oh and a K&N. I thought in '01 and '02 they were rated at 330 - 340 anyway.(not on paper)
    its 350ish crank in general for all ls1s..but to put down 340 with a loudmouth and airbox work isn't the norm by any means..not trying to say your car isn't fast or even a factory freak..but i would be real curious if the dyno was calibrated correctly and numbers where sae corrected..what 1/4 times are you running/were running with those mods ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    what kind of dyno? and was it SAE corrected?
    x2

It is a stock SS (I bought it new) with the air box cut out and loudmouth exhaust. Oh and a K&N. I thought in '01 and '02 they were rated at 330 - 340 anyway.(not on paper)
    So it doesn't have the factory dual/dual optional system you mentioned ealier,,,you have the aftermarket loudmouth system. Comes with the same style tips but the muffler design is completely different. One was optional and came with a transverse style muffler. The other system called the loudmouth came with a bullet muffler and was only available aftermarket.

When you ordered the factory optional dual/dual catback system which still used a transverse muffler, the cars did come with a HP rating that was 10 HP above the factory rating. I believe that would have been 335 HP.

I wouldn't put too much faith in dyno numbers. They don't really mean a whole lot. Every dyno is so different, the people running them are different, correction factors etc.... it's impossible to sit here and compare cars.
    If you are interested in tuning the car with more modifications down the road,,,just stick to the same dyno and operator so you can gauge your improvements with accuracy.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Yep, the only thing that really matters is et/trap speed/lap time/i just smoked that guy. Dyno numbers are cool and yes i did keep mine in my supra when it put down 517whp and my T/A when it made 357whp just to show people but a dyno is a tuning tool not a who is faster tool.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 2001sscamaro#2516 View Post
    my '01 stock ss ls1 with dual/dual exhaust dynoed at 340hp.
    nice!!!:d

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    So it doesn't have the factory dual/dual optional system you mentioned ealier,,,you have the aftermarket loudmouth system. Comes with the same style tips but the muffler design is completely different. One was optional and came with a transverse style muffler. The other system called the loudmouth came with a bullet muffler and was only available aftermarket.

When you ordered the factory optional dual/dual catback system which still used a transverse muffler, the cars did come with a HP rating that was 10 HP above the factory rating. I believe that would have been 335 HP.
    Yeah I forgot I had it dyno'd after I installed the loudmouth. It was SS dual/dual before. I thought the car was rated at 335hp with the stock options. Another 5hp for the K&N and airbox mod doesn's seem too far fetched, I don't know why everyone thinks my car is a freak or the dyno was wrong....the numbers add up to me....

I don't know what kind of dyno it was but it was at an SS club sponsored dyno day and I am assuming they used a certified machine for that.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Yeah I forgot I had it dyno'd after I installed the loudmouth. It was SS dual/dual before. I thought the car was rated at 335hp with the stock options. Another 5hp for the K&N and airbox mod doesn's seem too far fetched, I don't know why everyone thinks my car is a freak or the dyno was wrong....the numbers add up to me....

I don't know what kind of dyno it was but it was at an SS club sponsored dyno day and I am assuming they used a certified machine for that.
    well if the car was rated at 335HP @ the block, you have to account for around a 10-15% power loss due to drive train slop/flex. solets just "say" it would be around 30-33 HP that you would lose between the block and the tires. thats give your 300-305RWHP which sounds about right for stock. now here is where its gets to be "far fetched" all you have done is a K&N filter and a cat back. There is no way those two things add 35-40RWHP. So maybe thats what the dyno said, but it might not have been SAE corrected. Either way Dyno numbers dont mean jack. its all about getting the power you do have to the ground and track times

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

335hp factory rated at the CRANK, dyno 340hp at the WHEELS is why people are saying that. You lose 20-30hp from crank to wheels for drivetrain losses.
    Last edited by SSTODD; 08-06-2009 at 10:16 AM.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    well if the car was rated at 335HP @ the block, you have to account for around a 10-15% power loss due to drive train slop/flex. solets just "say" it would be around 30-33 HP that you would lose between the block and the tires. thats give your 300-305RWHP which sounds about right for stock. now here is where its gets to be "far fetched" all you have done is a K&N filter and a cat back. There is no way those two things add 35-40RWHP. So maybe thats what the dyno said, but it might not have been SAE corrected. Either way Dyno numbers dont mean jack. its all about getting the power you do have to the ground and track times
    dammit, beat me to it.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    dammit, beat me to it.

great minds think a like.

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Hey any one know any good shops around Iowa to have a tune and cam put in my 04 Gto

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by benhanson2004 View Post
    Hey any one know any good shops around Iowa to have a tune and cam put in my 04 Gto
    this my good sir is a classic case of a thread jack....it has nothing to do with the thread. please create a new thread and post your question there

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by benhanson2004 View Post
    Holy threadjack, Batman.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    this my good sir is a classic case of a thread jack....it has nothing to do with the thread. please create a new thread and post your question there
    DAMMIT, beat again by my friend from MI.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    DAMMIT, beat again by my friend from MI.

No way you can take a factory rating from the crank and try to convert that to rear wheel,,,because the factory crank ratings weren't accurate to begin with....trying to do that will get things all heywire and out of sink.

Hot Rod took an LS1 crate engine and dynoed it. At the flywheel and running the stock manifolds it just topped the 400 HP mark.
    Which easily explains why these cars in stock form make 300-320 HP at the wheels.

With that said it's easy to see how someone can make 340 HP at the wheels with very little if any changes. It's not that far off from others and quite frankly that much HP difference can change from one dyno to the next, so the point is moot.

You guys are really trying to split hairs here and make something out of nothing.

98' trans am

No way you can take a factory rating from the crank and try to convert that to rear wheel,,,because the factory crank ratings weren't accurate to begin with....trying to do that will get things all heywire and out of sink.

Hot Rod took an LS1 crate engine and dynoed it. At the flywheel and running the stock manifolds it just topped the 400 HP mark.
    Which easily explains why these cars in stock form make 300-320 HP at the wheels.

With that said it's easy to see how someone can make 340 HP at the wheels with very little if any changes. It's not that far off from others and quite frankly that much HP difference can change from one dyno to the next, so the point is moot.

You guys are really trying to split hairs here and make something out of nothing.
    always here to ruin our parade arent you jones

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    always here to ruin our parade arent you jones
    You can always count on me...

Stock
    2002 Camaro

or maybe your just trying to make nothing out of something............

oh ya

jones

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information