Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

2002 vs 2010 Camaro

Who would you guys choose in a heads up drag race. I haven't heard any numbers on the new camaro yet but I suspect it's close. If not, how would a full bolt on 2002 camaro fair with 315 street tires in the back and some sfcs and sway bars?

The new ones look pretty big though, I wonder how they handle...would they be better around corners from all thier new technology and engineering or would the old (smaller and lower looking) F-body pull a better corner.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

honestly believe a full bolt on 02 would take a '10 model drag racing. especially with tires & sfc's.

as for handling, the 2010 would take that one more than likely.

I ran one in my wifes car a few weeks back and was pulling away before we ran out of room and had to shut down.

My wifes car only has an LS6 cam ground on a 112 lsa, an LS6 intake and some headers. I tune it with HPtuner. That's it,,,nothing radical at all.

I'm experienced with neither Camaros nor racing. However, I am experienced with Firebirds and know the horsepower of Camaro models. I wouldn't dream of beating a V8 2010 Camaro in my V8 Bird; the new V8 has about 100 more HP (makes it look a lot less ugly to me). The V6 has about the same as the 2002 V8 Firebird or Camaro. I read a positive review of the new Camaro, but last I checked the article isn't online.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    I'm experienced with neither Camaros nor racing. However, I am experienced with Firebirds and know the horsepower of Camaro models. I wouldn't dream of beating a V8 2010 Camaro in my V8 Bird; the new V8 has about 100 more HP (makes it look a lot less ugly to me). The V6 has about the same as the 2002 V8 Firebird or Camaro. I read a positive review of the new Camaro, but last I checked the article isn't online.
    1.) 02 camaro's and firebirds have the exact same motor.

2.) the LS1 in the 02's was rated around 350hp. the '10's are 400(auto) and 426(manual). not a full 100hp.

3.) there is a large weight difference.

4.) I'd put my bolt on '99 camaro against one of the new ones (in stock trim) ANY day of the week and feel confident about it.

side note: I'm making 338rwhp and 350rwtq.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Yes but stock vs stock the new camaro would win in braking, handling, accel and comfort.

On your #2 there Jason I think the highest factory rating on the last of the Fbodies was 320 - 325 or so. If you got the optional exhaust system you got another 10 HP claim.

I think it was the vette that was rated at 350.

No reason not to play with anything you come accross if the oportunity presents itself, even the new camaro,,,it's not the fastest thing on the road. Who cares,,,,win or lose it's just fun. I think people have lost that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes but stock vs stock the new camaro would win in braking, handling, accel and comfort.
    What about drum brakes

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

the op didn't ask about stock to stock. He asked about a full bolt on LS1 against the new camaro being stock

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    On your #2 there Jason I think the highest factory rating on the last of the Fbodies was 320 - 325 or so. If you got the optional exhaust system you got another 10 HP claim.

I think it was the vette that was rated at 350.

No reason not to play with anything you come accross if the oportunity presents itself, even the new camaro,,,it's not the fastest thing on the road. Who cares,,,,win or lose it's just fun. I think people have lost that concept.
    Your correct, that was the factory rating, and I firmly believe it was highly underated just so the vette looked like it had more. And when stock LS1 F-body's pull ~315rwhp on dynos, it leads me to believe it even more.

Arctic White, red/gray

[QUOTE=LS1Jason;1987856]the op didn't ask about stock to stock. He asked about a full bolt on LS1 against the new camaro being stock
    [QUOTE]

Ic that now, well the new camaro can trap 110-111mph, which is right about where most bolt on m6 cars are at. It would be close imo on street rubber, but the new camaro has no lift shifts so it would be interesting to see how that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    Your correct, that was the factory rating, and I firmly believe it was highly underated just so the vette looked like it had more. And when stock LS1 F-body's pull ~315rwhp on dynos, it leads me to believe it even more.

Well all cars are under rated. The big 3 have been doing that since the 50's.
    The vettes always have had a higher HP rating (with the exception of 1970 and one engine option) and usually for good reason. Not just because it was GM's baby,,,but the vettes have always had a better designed exhaust system from the get go,,,even as far back as the late 50's.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-09-2009 at 08:08 AM.

[QUOTE=Zinergy;1987857][QUOTE=LS1Jason;1987856]the op didn't ask about stock to stock. He asked about a full bolt on LS1 against the new camaro being stock

Ic that now, well the new camaro can trap 110-111mph, which is right about where most bolt on m6 cars are at. It would be close imo on street rubber, but the new camaro has no lift shifts so it would be interesting to see how that helps.
    Okay I give,,,,what the hell is "lift shift"??? Are you talking about torque managment for the automatics or something???

The one I raced was a 6 speed as well as my wifes car,,,,so we both had lift shift

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I've driven a new Camaro 2SS and it didn't feel any faster than my car. They weigh over 3,900 lbs as opposed to mine at a bit over 3,400 lbs. As for the new V6 Camaro? Yes, impressive 305 or so hp rating, but that's at the crank, not the wheels. The LS1s make at or just over 350hp at the crank.

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I've driven a new Camaro 2SS and it didn't feel any faster than my car. They weigh over 3,900 lbs as opposed to mine at a bit over 3,400 lbs. As for the new V6 Camaro? Yes, impressive 305 or so hp rating, but that's at the crank, not the wheels. The LS1s make at or just over 350hp at the crank.
    Actually there have been a few dyno cell pulls with bone stock crate LS1's and they have made right at 400 hp at the crank with stock manifolds still in place.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Then that proves my point even further. Thank you.

Actually there have been a few dyno cell pulls with bone stock crate LS1's and they have made right at 400 hp at the crank with stock manifolds still in place.

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Then that proves my point even further. Thank you.
    Yep,,,and it helps to explain why all these bone stock LS1's are making 300-320 HP at the rear wheels. Because they make quite a bit more at the flywheel than GM led everyone to believe. Typical numbers game.

Arctic White, red/gray

[QUOTE=Firebirdjones;1987864][QUOTE=Zinergy;1987857]
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    the op didn't ask about stock to stock. He asked about a full bolt on LS1 against the new camaro being stock

Okay I give,,,,what the hell is "lift shift"??? Are you talking about torque managment for the automatics or something???

The one I raced was a 6 speed as well as my wifes car,,,,so we both had lift shift
    No, no lift shifts is on the stick shift cobalt ss , solstice GXP and camaro SS. You dont have ot let off the gas or use the clutch pedal when slamming gears hard. You just slam gears and dont worry about the pedals. Like dogbox trannys that all the fastest stick cars use, liek 7 and 8 second dsms and whatnot.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That's what mine made when it was stock and it's an auto with 2:73 gears.

Yep,,,and it helps to explain why all these bone stock LS1's are making 300-320 HP at the rear wheels. Because they make quite a bit more at the flywheel than GM led everyone to believe. Typical numbers game.

[QUOTE=Zinergy;1987904][QUOTE=Firebirdjones;1987864]

No, no lift shifts is on the stick shift cobalt ss , solstice GXP and camaro SS. You dont have ot let off the gas or use the clutch pedal when slamming gears hard. You just slam gears and dont worry about the pedals. Like dogbox trannys that all the fastest stick cars use, liek 7 and 8 second dsms and whatnot.
    Are you saying GM is building new cars with slick shifted dog ring type trannies??? Thats a new one on me...
    I'm familiar with slick shifting trannies and modifying gears and sliders, but I'm not aware of that being available in a production vehicle,,,especially the 6 speeds in the new camaros. I can see that being a huge warranty dilema for GM. Are you sure this isn't a computer controlled thing that is being misinterperated as the old school way of doing it??? Because most people buying new cars nowadays don't even know how to drive like that anymore. I just can't see GM building 6 speeds for production vehicles with dog rings for slick shifting. And the factory built 6 speeds just don't tollerate that type of driving for very long.
    If that's the case then the guy I raced wasn't aware of it,,,cause he was a slow shiftin' fella

[QUOTE=Zinergy;1987904][QUOTE=Firebirdjones;1987864]

Maybe you are talking about the little paddle shifters on the steering wheel for the automatic cars??? That's quite a bit different than a manual with a clutch.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information