Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2002 SS Ram Air Question.....

This is a discussion on 2002 SS Ram Air Question..... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; That is definately not a stock exhaust system on there. Thats not even the optional SLP catback. The stock exhaust ...

That is definately not a stock exhaust system on there. Thats not even the optional SLP catback.

The stock exhaust would have had a much larger muffler with a cheap looking spot welded transverse muffler.
    The optional SLP catback would be a stainless welded case transverse muffler, that would be about the same size as the stock muffler but have a somewhat boxy look in the center and rounded ends.

What you have there in the only muffler pic,,,,is what looks like a much smaller case transverse muffler,,appears to be a welded case so it's definately something aftermarket. Too small and roundish to be the optional SLP muffler.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Here is the SS hood and how it works If anyone still needs it

Very nice car by the way, wish it was mine

DK. Blue Metallic
    2002 SS Camaro

i wonder if anyone has just cut that spot completly open ? i know the ss hood has 4 holes right there . i wonder if you would gain anymore hp doing that . i posted a similar post on another site ( ) about using a ssra or a ftra.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Mac View Post
    i wonder if anyone has just cut that spot completly open ? i know the ss hood has 4 holes right there . i wonder if you would gain anymore hp doing that . i posted a similar post on another site ( ) about using a ssra or a ftra.
    Yes SAM did it back when these cars were new,,,about 98 or 99 I think. As a matter of fact, it was done on their ever so popular orange SS they have used for track events for years.

They found it was in fact benificial to cut open the hood right in front of the box.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenix View Post
    How do you know there is a catback exhaust? It was boomy in 1st to 4th, louder than I thought stock would be, so I thought it might not be OEM. The guy at the dealership did not know if it was stock or not.

The Audi stickers peeled right off!

Steve Nix
    Unless you put duals on it has a catback or a single muffler, if you get under the car you might be able to see the brand.

DK. Blue Metallic
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes SAM did it back when these cars were new,,,about 98 or 99 I think. As a matter of fact, it was done on their ever so popular orange SS they have used for track events for years.

They found it was in fact benificial to cut open the hood right in front of the box.

do you know if SAM had a ram-air kit like FTRA or SSRA or were thiers homemade ?

i like the idea of cutting those little slot bars out under my ss hood. but i would think it be more beneficial for a FRA car instead of a car with a ram-air kit . right ??
    Last edited by LS1Mac; 07-23-2009 at 07:10 AM.

It's been a while but they did a series of simple mods on that car when it was new and documented everything. If I'm not mistaken they may have it all listed on their website.

I know they cut the hood and found a slight MPH increase. I believe they also did the free ramair mod as well by allowing air up through the bottom of the lid and found more MPH. I seem to remember they did alot of fiddling with the air box and the hood, cutting etc....looking for ways to get more air. It's a pretty interesting read.

I experimented myself with the same things on my SS. I did the free ramair mod under the box. Then took it to the track and taped it off. Made a few passes and then removed the tape. My car consistently picked up close to 1 mph. I never could bring myself to cut on the hood though, and figured the free ramair mod was enough.

blackk
    1996 camaro z28

how would the ss hood on a 96 97 work? isnt the intake on the side?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by TAallday View Post
    how would the ss hood on a 96 97 work? isnt the intake on the side?
    on the ram air 97 the intake is different it comes around like a mach 1 does.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenix View Post
    LOL....looks just like mine....same SLP grill and all the only thing diff is mine has the SLP rims....good looking car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information