Thread: 2002 SS Headers

Blue (Paint code 28)
    2002 SS Camaro SLP

Question SLP Headers

are the SLP headers any better than , ARH, Pacesetters
    Last edited by 2002 SS Camaro; 11-10-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

I personally don't think much of any slp products other than their lids. I have installed pacesetters or kooks on almost all of my customers vehicles with no complaints from me or the customers

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

SLP headers are essentially fantastic on paper. They are tuned length, and flow very well. However, because of this, you lose quite a bit of ground clearance and pay out your ass for them. Unless you don't mind your headers hanging down and scraping over any bump, and also don't mind paying a lot more, then yes, go with the SLP headers. If not, there are plenty of long tube, stainless headers out there that work great.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Koni pretty much summed it up. If you want to spend a lot on headers get some kooks or American Racing headers.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 SS Camaro View Post
    are the SLP headers any better than , ARH, Pacesetters
    I have SLP headers and I can tell you to look for another brand. After 29k miles the ceramic coating is almost gone and they have started to rust. This is a car which is driven 1500 miles per year, on nice days, never see's any rain or snow and is parked in a heated garage with a car cover. The positive is they seal very well due to the large flange, no leaks and they do fit perfect. It's the ceramic coating that gets me, for the price they charge you they should last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I have SLP headers and I can tell you to look for another brand. After 29k miles the ceramic coating is almost gone and they have started to rust. This is a car which is driven 1500 miles per year, on nice days, never see's any rain or snow and is parked in a heated garage with a car cover. The positive is they seal very well due to the large flange, no leaks and they do fit perfect. It's the ceramic coating that gets me, for the price they charge you they should last longer.
    I've never had any ceramic coating last for more than 3-4 years anyway, even Jet Hot. I lived in Ohio, which is a moist humid climate much like Jersey. Mine also stayed in a heated climate control garage and sparingly driven in the summer time, maybe 3,000 miles a year. The Jet Hot would start pitting and flaking within 3-4 years. I'd take the headers off and send them back out to Pennsylvania Jet Hot to have them redone. That pretty much became a ritual for me for about 15 years.
    Until I moved out here to AZ, much dryer and less humid. Header coatings out there seem to be doing better and lasting longer.

Just a heads up, not necessarily a quality issue. I found it to be more of the climate you live in. So you might want to let that become part of your decision making for buying headers. Maybe stainless would be a better option for some of us.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-11-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Thanks FBJ, I was thinking the same thing about SS headers. Xmas is coming

Blue (Paint code 28)
    2002 SS Camaro SLP

think I'm going with the Kooks or ARH. I like the pacesetters, but I can't find them in stainless. Kooks is located right here in Statesville, NC. might ride up there and check out some headers

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I have QTP 1-3/4" SS race style headers with the HVMC on the 02 and they look as good now as they did when I put them on back in 05.

If you want hassel free good looks then go with stainless steel headers regardless of brand.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

I think Texas Speed now makes a Stainless Steel 1 7/8 Header for the same price as their old Ceramic ones were! Kooks and ARH are also great Headers

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I have long tube Hooker headers with an offroad y pipe on my '00 SS. They are stainless steel but much like the other cars mentioned here mine has never seen rain or snow, great performance upgrade as well. Price wasnt too bad, had them installed a couple years ago so I dont recall exactly what I paid, but worth checking out.

Thread Information