Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

2002 SS or 99-01 Cobra?

This is a discussion on 2002 SS or 99-01 Cobra? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I had an 01 Cobra. It is a nice piece of equipment. Don't get the 99 Cobra, it has issues ...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I had an 01 Cobra. It is a nice piece of equipment.

Don't get the 99 Cobra, it has issues with power.

I have had both cars, and here is the skinny. The 01 Cobra rides better, has better handling, and sounds as sweet as a Beethoven symphony with just a catless X-pipe and a Borla exhaust, even better with long tubes. 4.10's and she is a wicked ride and will bust more than its share. Not to mention the engine is a thing of beauty. The seats are real nice, and so is the white face guages.

The LS1 F-bod is cheaper, cheaper to mod, and doesn't handle as well. But, it is wicked fast and will hand the Cobra its ass mod to mod, and stock to stock. The F-bod has better gas mileage, especially when you compare the gas mileage of both with 4.10's.

You won't be disappointed with either ride, TRUST & BELIEVE.

P.S. Put a supercharger on that 01 for a real eye opening experience.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    Yeah...$1300 heads and all that...lol.

I am willing to bet that from a roll against a stock 6-speed LS1 you still don't pull TOO hard on them.

Sounds like you have a mean drag car though, with a mustang, it is ALL in the launch.
    Actually I went against an lt1 with a full exhaust and I didn't know what else he had done but I could tell by the sound it wasn't just a catback and from 30 mph roll I had him by 2 car lengths by 70 I was suprised and yes he was racing because I was the one that didnt wanna run them.

+1The camaros and the mach 1 were under rated the cobra was not underated

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

get an 01-02 ss. the older years dont come with the ls6 intake and also have egr, which sucks. that's why the 01-02's are worth at least 10-15 more hp over the older ones. and hey, you already got a bunch of awesome cars so you're living the dream most of us on here have.

Black
    1999 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I had an 01 Cobra. It is a nice piece of equipment.

Don't get the 99 Cobra, it has issues with power.

I have had both cars, and here is the skinny. The 01 Cobra rides better, has better handling, and sounds as sweet as a Beethoven symphony with just a catless X-pipe and a Borla exhaust, even better with long tubes. 4.10's and she is a wicked ride and will bust more than its share. Not to mention the engine is a thing of beauty. The seats are real nice, and so is the white face guages.

The LS1 F-bod is cheaper, cheaper to mod, and doesn't handle as well. But, it is wicked fast and will hand the Cobra its ass mod to mod, and stock to stock. The F-bod has better gas mileage, especially when you compare the gas mileage of both with 4.10's.

You won't be disappointed with either ride, TRUST & BELIEVE.

P.S. Put a supercharger on that 01 for a real eye opening experience.
    Thanks man good input. I actually raced a SS in my 99 GT. It was from about a 5 MPH roll, I pulled on him 1st/2nd gear (4.10s For The Win), he flew past me at the end of 3rd, and continued to pull hard while I power shifted into 4th.

I am glad you told me the 99 Cobra has power issues, I was told they were fixed through recalls. I can't really afford the SS, so I think im gonna buy a 01/02 Z28 Black 6M of course . What do you guys think about the Wings West Body Kit? I was thinking some 18 Inch Z06 Rims, Chromed Z28 Badges (Remove the Chevy on the trunk) and the Wings West would make one clean sexy car.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Hmmm

I am not a big fan of body kits on the F-Body but to each his/her own. Just my opinion.

I think that the original lines of the car is far sexier than any other add on kit. Plus it is additional weight on the car. A little weight...but weight nonetheless. I think if you just add some bigger lightweight rims and low profile tires, it would look cool as hell.

I saw a mobbed out 98-02 Z on the freeway (I-5S) yesterday and it was just wicked. Black with black rims, looked like it had some minor suspension mods, and had black tint with the SS wing. It was just bad.

But do what YOU like...ultimately, you are the one that has to drive it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Personally, I am more of a Camaro fan. It's tough not to love the sound of the Cobras, however I just loved the way the Camaros ride. When I was in the market for a car (3 months ago) I was trying to decide between a Camaro SS and a Terminator (03/04 Cobra). The Cobras were super fast cars, however I got such a deal on the SS that I couldn't say NO!

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

I wouldn't buy another Mustang unless it was a 5.0... I've owned both 1989 and 1992 GTs and have been around the Blue Oval camp for some time. The N/A 4.6 Cobras pull hard up top and love 4.10 (and up) gears, but won't touch a LS1 F-body without FI. They don't handle any better than a base Z28 as far as I could tell and the shifter placement still sucks. They have a nicer ride and better ergos, so would make a better daily-driver. Honestly? 5.0, 03-04 Cobra, or go with the LS1...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

just get an LS1. i mean for christ sakes, youre already signed up on the website, and you know you laugh and cry more on this site than any stang forum. plus subconsciously you asked the ls1 community what to get knowing full well what it would say, and that just happened to be the little extra push you needed.

some may think it premature....

but welcome to the club brother.

nbm
    00SS

Its true u have some fast Z's that can stomp on SS all day. I have an SS and its more for the looks. Both r the same cars.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information