Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

2002 SS or 99-01 Cobra?

This is a discussion on 2002 SS or 99-01 Cobra? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; My stock 01 WS6 M6 vs. 02 GT w/CAI and cat-back from a 40 punch: I had a full tank ...

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

My stock 01 WS6 M6 vs. 02 GT w/CAI and cat-back from a 40 punch:

I had a full tank of gas and my opponent weighed less than me (160 maybe vs. my 185). I also think he powershifted 3rd. His car made a grinding noise and he seemed to gain 1/4 car when he shifted and I shifted.

40mph punch. He honked it off AND hit it first (I let him have the hit so there would be no excuses).

As soon as I heard him crack it I floored my STOCK WS6 that had a full tank of gas not 5 miles ago. BRIMMING FULL.

By 100mph there was 2-cars worth of daylight between my rear and his front bumper by HIS estimation (asked him after the race). That comes out to 3-4 car pull.

40-100 3-4 car pull is UGLY! when you consider that I granny shifted the piss out of third and I think he powershifted it and I had a full tank and am stock (he had 3/4 tank and aformentioned mods).

LS1 vs. 4.6L 2V is NO COMPARISON.

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

I've had nine Mustangs and I'm on my 3rd Camaro and I have to say so far the Camaro SS I have now is my favorite. I like them both, but i would probably just pick the one that was in the best shape and most fun to drive.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

ive owned both Mustang GT's and Camaro (95 z28 and now my 00 SS)

in my opinion, get the SS, it's alot more fun and damn, just a good looking car. since there really is no 'new' 2002 SS find yourself one thats in good shape. i picked mine up, 100% stock, one owner car, with 21k on the clock for just over 15k 2 years ago.

you can thank me later...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

got my ss 6 speed 4 months ago with 34,400 miles on it for 13000 in az. awesome car runs strong like bull

SMKDFRD
    I bought my 02 SS in October with 51K on the ODO for $22,000. I know it was a little much but the car was in immaculate shape and condition. Only one owner no accidents, no nothing. It's also a hardtop, a little harder to find, but I'm happy with it. Will post pics soon...having trouble doing so. Pic files are too big. But anyway I go with the SS I personaly think that it is a better built car than the Cobra and I like the performance more. Do like the name Cobra.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by lvlustang View Post
    Screw it,

Just researched for a little while.

2001 Cobra:
    Horsepower: 320 hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque: 317 ft-lbs @ 4750 rpm
    Curb Weight 3430 lbs

2000 Camaro SS:
    Horsepower: 320 hp @ 5200 rpm
    Torque: 345 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm
    Curb Weight 3306 lbs

Not to mention the Camaro get better gas milage as well.

Well it time I start searching for a Camaro.
    Good answer!

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

don't call me out but i am a die hard chevy guy but i still respect any well build hp car even a nice import if its not all riced out. i like sleepers! any way...
    my friend has had a 96 and a 01 cobra mostly stock. my car is a 00 z m6.
    i killed both cars by more than 4 cars from 35- 100/110. keep in mind at the time i had a corsa 3'' exhaust and thats it. i get 21-22mpg in town and almost 27mpg on the hwy. if i had the chance to get another it would be a ss.

and you said you have had a couple of gt's or cobras. try a z if you don't like it find another ford and trade it. but if i was going to stay ford it would have to be a 03+ sc cobra.

or do like my friend and i did.(z vs trail blazer ss) go take the car for a spin and have a friend drive your car to a spot, meet up and run them. then you can see your car vs. a z. you should be able to make a clear choice.
    LS7 clutch,01 slave,Corsa 3" stainless exhuast,drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads,160 thermo,Mti clear lid,msd 8.5 wires & Ngk plugs...more to come!
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2311455

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by jbb6811 View Post
    don't call me out but i am a die hard chevy guy but i still respect any well build hp car even a nice import if its not all riced out. i like sleepers! any way...
    my friend has had a 96 and a 01 cobra mostly stock. my car is a 00 z m6.
    i killed both cars by more than 4 cars from 35- 100/110.
    keep in mind at the time i had a corsa 3'' exhaust and thats it. i get 21-22mpg in town and almost 27mpg on the hwy. if i had the chance to get another it would be a ss.

and you said you have had a couple of gt's or cobras. try a z if you don't like it find another ford and trade it. but if i was going to stay ford it would have to be a 03+ sc cobra.

or do like my friend and i did.(z vs trail blazer ss) go take the car for a spin and have a friend drive your car to a spot, meet up and run them. then you can see your car vs. a z. you should be able to make a clear choice.
    My 5.0 GT put down 244whp and is 3500# race-weight. I pulled a 99-01 Cobra 1 car from 75-110. My WS6 pulls my 5.0 by 2-3 cars 50-100 or so. Sounds exactly right to me! They just dont have the wheaties.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by huggerls1 View Post
    got my ss 6 speed 4 months ago with 34,400 miles on it for 13000 in az. awesome car runs strong like bull
    sounds about right. NADA high-retail 05' is 13,XXX. Good deal!!!

PS. Hardtop owns!

Quote Originally Posted by SMKDFRD View Post
    I bought my 02 SS in October with 51K on the ODO for $22,000. I know it was a little much but the car was in immaculate shape and condition. Only one owner no accidents, no nothing. It's also a hardtop, a little harder to find, but I'm happy with it. Will post pics soon...having trouble doing so. Pic files are too big. But anyway I go with the SS I personaly think that it is a better built car than the Cobra and I like the performance more. Do like the name Cobra.
    Holy fucking shit.

Theres a thread on this forum of an 02 ss vs. 01 cobra comparison that was from a magazine that was printed a few years ago. Someone made the thread Id say a month or 2 ago, so its somewhere and it explains everything you need to know..

Both cars are great and they both respond to mods about the same since the cobra is a 4 valve not a 2 valve like the gt's. Its all up to you. They both have a bunch of potential. You posted this on mustang forums too didn't you??

+1 to camaros being expensive I bought my 94 (yes its a mustang) for 4 grand with 90k on the engine and 40 on the trans and I put a grand in mods and now I'm even with ls1 camaros.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by stangman94 View Post
    Both cars are great and they both respond to mods about the same since the cobra is a 4 valve not a 2 valve like the gt's. Its all up to you. They both have a bunch of potential. You posted this on mustang forums too didn't you??

+1 to camaros being expensive I bought my 94 (yes its a mustang) for 4 grand with 90k on the engine and 40 on the trans and I put a grand in mods and now I'm even with ls1 camaros.
    Yeah, mustangforums.com people are pretty clueless if you ask me. I used to be on there, Stanger88. They got all butthurt when I bought a WS6 and started assraping mustangs and then calling BS on some of their races.

The 4V NA cobra is nowhere near LS1 responsiveness unless you add a blower. You wont hit 400whp out of it NA and still be DD'able. Not without spending LOTS of money at least.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Unless that is nitrous I am going to have to call BS. What mods do you have? 1K isnt even enough for a set of decent heads.

white
    2000 camaro ss

the question is what r u looking for? a pony or a muscle car? my brother has an 04 supercharged cobra with pully and exhaust. my ss only has loudmouth exhaust and slp intake. the only time he takes me is 1st and second. on the freeway i put a godd car and a half on his ass. don't 4get he's putting about 70 more horses than my me. now go do the math. i would never take a cobra over an ss let alone a non supercharged 1.

you caught me

I actually have around 1300 as of yesterday in my car.

Flowmaster American thunder catback ( sold a touchscreen radio I got for free bought that so I consider it a gift)
    bbk o/r h pipe (christmas)
    bbk short headers ( birthday)
    bbk cai ( i bought) $160
    trickflow street heat manifold ( found it online for a 400 and they gave it to for that because thhey though I would sue them for false advertisement)
    trickflow twisted wedge heads ported (300 got them from a friend who used them for 2k miles then decided he was gona stroke it so he wanted bigger heads)
    1.7 comp cam rockers ( 50 got em from a guy at my dads work who had them sitting in his garage for a few years and nver used them)
    4.10 gears as of yeserday ( 400 the only thing I couldnt get a deal on)
    dyno tune & 24lb injectors in a couple of weeks ( will cost 300 because my dad knows the tuner)
    then some street radials and upper lower control arms.

So I have top of the line parts and I was very fortunate and got them dirt cheap! I dont blame you for calling bs lol I love this sites smilies

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

Quote Originally Posted by huggerls1 View Post
    see deals are out there i got my car a year+ ago or so and it had 22000 on the clock and its a 00 z m6($13,800). i got it cuase a retard bought it for his 17 yr old son he in turn racked up 4-5 tickets in 8 months! his dad drive it off and on for a few years and decided to sell it. he was 5o something and hated getting out of it. it had a ultra z hood and 3'' ss corsa exhaust.
    try the auto trader.

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

Quote Originally Posted by lvlustang View Post
    Screw it,

Just researched for a little while.

2001 Cobra:
    Horsepower: 320 hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque: 317 ft-lbs @ 4750 rpm
    Curb Weight 3430 lbs

2000 Camaro SS:
    Horsepower: 320 hp @ 5200 rpm
    Torque: 345 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm
    Curb Weight 3306 lbs

Not to mention the Camaro get better gas milage as well.

Well it time I start searching for a Camaro.
    i think your #'s are off i don't think the 01 had that much power. if so my freind should have been closer that 4 cars. his 96 & 01 cobras and my 00 z are manuals.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

you caught me

I actually have around 1300 as of yesterday in my car.

Flowmaster American thunder catback ( sold a touchscreen radio I got for free bought that so I consider it a gift)
    bbk o/r h pipe (christmas)
    bbk short headers ( birthday)
    bbk cai ( i bought) $160
    trickflow street heat manifold ( found it online for a 400 and they gave it to for that because thhey though I would sue them for false advertisement)
    trickflow twisted wedge heads ported (300 got them from a friend who used them for 2k miles then decided he was gona stroke it so he wanted bigger heads)
    1.7 comp cam rockers ( 50 got em from a guy at my dads work who had them sitting in his garage for a few years and nver used them)
    4.10 gears as of yeserday ( 400 the only thing I couldnt get a deal on)
    dyno tune & 24lb injectors in a couple of weeks ( will cost 300 because my dad knows the tuner)
    then some street radials and upper lower control arms.

So I have top of the line parts and I was very fortunate and got them dirt cheap! I dont blame you for calling bs lol I love this sites smilies

Yeah...$1300 heads and all that...lol.

I am willing to bet that from a roll against a stock 6-speed LS1 you still don't pull TOO hard on them.

Sounds like you have a mean drag car though, with a mustang, it is ALL in the launch.

Black
    1999 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by jbb6811 View Post
    i think your #'s are off i don't think the 01 had that much power. if so my freind should have been closer that 4 cars. his 96 & 01 cobras and my 00 z are manuals.
    Nope, that is base HP. However I believe the Camaro is underated just like the Mustang Mach 1s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information