Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

2002 SS #243 Crash Update

Back in early April, I basically totaled '02 SS #243 in a violent crash into a brick building. The throttle stuck wide open, sending me out of control.

I was cited and jailed for suspicion of DUI based on being unsteady when exiting the wrecked vehicle.

The car was junk; warped the frame on both sides; the wheels, tires, facia, hood, windshield, front fenders, lights, etc. were all bent, shattered and trashed.

Today in city court:

Verdict: Not guilty.

The officers testimony lacked confidence and validity; his verbal report contradicted the written report. It was demonstrated that the officer was negligent by not calling EMS responders. BAC was insufficient sample.

We were able to prove a vehicular malfunction caused the wreck, not impairment by an intoxicating substance.

Computer diagnosis at the repair shop demonstrated the cruise control module failure code. It is being replaced.

The SS has been in the shop for over 2 months and the invoice has reached nearly $15,000. They have straightened the frame, replaced the front fenders, hood, windshield, wheels and tires but still have a long way to go before it is completely repaired and driveable.

SS 243 will live again and I will NOT have a DUI record. We will be VERY careful when driving in the future...!

Have a good day. I'm definitely having a good day. Thanks for your support.....

Drive carefully, ya'll......!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

glad that you walked away from the crash and that you have been cleared of all charges against you. im sure you are able to rest easier at night now.

as for your car...

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

The decided they would charge you with DUI because you were "unsteady" when you got out the car. Who wouldn't be after spinning out and hitting a building going full throtle. I'm Glad everything went well in court for you. Post some pics up of before and after for SS#243.

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

hey glad your alive and made it out ok

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Truely glad to hear you were ok and your record was cleared.

My question though, why in the world with all that damage to the car is it being fixed? Why wasn't it considered a total loss?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

thats badass...you know...that actually happened to me once......its the lil black cylindrical cruise control box.....i had it looked at..and got it replaced......sorry what happened...but its awesome your getting it back...

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

My question though, why in the world with all that damage to the car is it being fixed? Why wasn't it considered a total loss?
    +1 ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

It WAS considered a full total by the insurance company; I had full comprehensive coverage. Their offer was too low. I was able to convince them that the value was much higher than they estimated, lowering the percentages for totaling. I faxed them online quotes for similar cars in almost new condition like mine was. They agreed to fix it. Whew! Lucky.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ReBop View Post
    It WAS considered a full total by the insurance company; I had full comprehensive coverage. Their offer was too low. I was able to convince them that the value was much higher than they estimated, lowering the percentages for totaling. I faxed them online quotes for similar cars in almost new condition like mine was. They agreed to fix it. Whew! Lucky.
    What insurance company handled the claim if you don't mind me asking and how badly was the frame damaged. I am glad its all working out for you, and it sounds like you want the car fixed as well.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

your one lucky guy

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by ReBop View Post
    Honeslty I would've taken the money and ran with it. After being in that kind of accident and having the frame all bent out of place she won't be the same.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    Honeslty I would've taken the money and ran with it. After being in that kind of accident and having the frame all bent out of place she won't be the same.
    I thought about doing that but realized that this car cannot be adequately replaced and I would always regret losing it.

So I took it to the absolutely best shop in the state that specializes in frame alignment and severe collision cases. They have the best equipment and the best, most experienced technicians. Their report to me is that the frame was well within the parameters for a 100% perfect alignment and the car will drive good as new. Hope so. I can't wait to drive it again... very carefully.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I would've just bought another SS instead of going through the trouble. I see 2 other SS's just like mine around all the time. I would hardly know the difference.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I would've just bought another SS instead of going through the trouble. I see 2 other SS's just like mine around all the time. I would hardly know the difference.
    Maybe so, but keep in mind, I ordered this car and had it custom built to my specifications. It had become part of me, in a way.

The windshield was busted and I knew that if I did not save it, it would have been hauled to an outdoor junk yard and left to rust.

The cash offer was not enough to get a decent replacement and the insurance company was willing to risk the repair bills.

So, that's how it happened that this one is being fixed.

Save 'em, don't crush 'em.

NBM
    1998Z28

Just make sure you keep a close eye on your tires. The front ones especially. I had a vette frame staightened out to perfection. It never drove the same and would wear the front tires out no matter how many times you had the front end aligned.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Glad it is all working out for you and the car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Just make sure you keep a close eye on your tires. The front ones especially. I had a vette frame staightened out to perfection. It never drove the same and would wear the front tires out no matter how many times you had the front end aligned.
    I agree. That's why I sent the car to the absolute BEST shop in the state, the one with the most qualified technicians the latest, state of the art alignment equipment. They said the frame was not damaged beyond the parameters and that it was within .001 inch of new. I'm hoping for the best by using this shop. Thanks for the comments.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

thats scary as hell!!!! it happened to sarge too...and caused just as much damage..gonna have to watch that shit...

Black
    2002 camaro z-28

Pics!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SuPeRmAn23 View Post
    Pics!!!!
    I have lots of pictures but no hosting site. Any suggestions?

Thread Information