Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

2002 Camaro SS vs. 2001 Cobra SVT Review

This is a discussion on 2002 Camaro SS vs. 2001 Cobra SVT Review within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; that is such a retarded point... they come factory with s/cers... we come factory with 5.7 liters... this whole s/c ...

1966 Corvette Coupe

that is such a retarded point... they come factory with s/cers... we come factory with 5.7 liters...

this whole s/c vs n/a is for pussies that hate to admit a ford will smoke your ass in a straight line and in a corner... and put like $2000 in after market parts on both cars and then your gett you ass spanked even worse...

it is a stock for stock battle... and term cobras woudl easily come out on top... if i had anything but a c6 z06 (and i mean stock gm products here) a term cobra is one of the last things i would fuck with...

-me

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    that is such a retarded point... they come factory with s/cers... we come factory with 5.7 liters...

this whole s/c vs n/a is for pussies that hate to admit a ford will smoke your ass in a straight line and in a corner... and put like $2000 in after market parts on both cars and then your gett you ass spanked even worse...

it is a stock for stock battle... and term cobras woudl easily come out on top... if i had anything but a c6 z06 (and i mean stock gm products here) a term cobra is one of the last things i would fuck with...

-me
    I don't remember the 2001 cobra having a superhcarger.

1966 Corvette Coupe

you know its actually sad that 99/01 cobras and 03-04 mach 1's come so close to an ls1... we ahve 20% more displacement and like 10% more power if not mor elike 5%... sorry but thats not cool...

-me

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

you know its actually sad that 99/01 cobras and 03-04 mach 1's come so close to an ls1... we ahve 20% more displacement and like 10% more power if not mor elike 5%... sorry but thats not cool...
    not really sad, they chose more valves to move the air, we chose more displacement.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Uncharged 4.6 4V motors have no low end grunt. You got to drop the clutch above 3K just to break traction in first. Whereas with the LS1, you can just roll the throttle and boil 'em off.

The N/A 4V Cobra motor is strictly top end power. (above 4K really)

That is why they added a roots blower instead of a centrifugal to the 03 term, to help that engine where it needed it most, below 3K. (where most of the driving is done)

An SS cannot outhandle an 03. There was an article done somewhere on it. They raced and 03 at an autocross vs. an 02 SS, both stock. The 03 edged it out.

The 99-01 Cobra's are better handlers than the 03 b/c of the huge weight difference.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

The solid rear SS IS more of a drag car instead of road track kinda car, right? I think just the 03 and 04 cobras happen tho have the best of both worlds in this situation. Otherwise both engines N/A the SS has got the power and the cobra has the handles. Is it really that big of a difference in the handling though??

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I don't think it is a huge difference. Nothing a good driver can't overcome. The IRS is just a better suspension design, thus its incorporation on our beloved corvette for many years now.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

as long as you keep all 4 tires planted the same amount then you shouldn't be able to tell a difference right?

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Well, when you take hard turns in a live axle, there is going to be considerably less pressure on the inside rear tire, whereas on an IRS setup the rear wheels act "independently" from each other, so there will be less of a pressure difference.

I am no automotive expert, but I think that is the inherent advantage of an IRS setup.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

some cars stay really flat on turns when they're set up for it with the solid rear. I guess it just depends on the set up

silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

It really comes down to the driver. Done alot of roadcourse. With Konis the camaro does well at the track.

Lots of guys run Mustangs at the track but not many F bodies...

C'Mon everyone, do a track day this year!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I'd love to whip the SS around some curves and leave some black marks

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I'm too afraid I'll break something and not be able to afford it. : (

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

in auto xing you don't really have to worry about it because you don't really end up going that fast. Its more about control and steering while going as fast as possible. I saw one once and I don't think you'd go more than 35 or 40 on it. In my 6spd I'd just probably use 1st or 2nd in the whole thing. If first has too much power I could use 2nd also

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I'm too afraid I'll break something and not be able to afford it. : (
    Break something from cornering hard?? Nahh.

Only thing you gotta worry about the the 10 bolt if you're drag racing on DR's or slicks and dropping the clutch, besides that the chassis and suspension are very solid for racing. You're not going to break a solid axle from taking a corner too fast, same goes for the beefy A-Arm setup up front

NATRALLY ASPIRATED 495 HP TASWEET SS's Avatar

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    They hit it right on the money with the review. I owned both for at least a year, and modded both.

Mike, I could drive that 01 Cobra for 5 minutes on twisty country roads going over a 100 mph and it stayed stuck like glue, but every time I try to take a curve flying with the Z I nearly sh*t my pants. Its like at any SECOND I am gonna be sucking down ditchbank.
    hey,mike, if you lower the camaro,1.5inches with eibach progressive rate lowering springs,it really sucks down to the twisted roads with much better performance, plus it looks bitch-n, bring it on stang ABBY

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I would lower it, but I have SLP long tubes, and they scrubbed like hell before I threw on the 18's. Now they only scrub every now and then on really high speedbumps and stuff. If I lower, it will go right back to scrubbing on every damn bump in the road.

Ok back to the topic...

Lets say for instance, a person wanted to buy a newer cobra (with the charger), but couldnt afford it, neither the insurance....Would getting an 01 Cobra be one step behind the 03 Cobra? Meaning, are they at least better than the 96-97s?

As far as the article goes, its funny how the Cobra is more expensive even though its a lil slower, has less power and gets worse gas mileage.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post

-me
    That extra displacement comes in the form of much more low end torque (the 4.6 4V N/A motors don't have much of anything below like 5K as far as V8's go) and more potential for power with mods. And yet even with more displacement, the LS1 still gets better fuel economy than the Mach 1 or 99-01 Cobras. There is no downside to that extra displacement.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Ok back to the topic...

Lets say for instance, a person wanted to buy a newer cobra (with the charger), but couldnt afford it, neither the insurance....Would getting an 01 Cobra be one step behind the 03 Cobra? Meaning, are they at least better than the 96-97s?

As far as the article goes, its funny how the Cobra is more expensive even though its a lil slower, has less power and gets worse gas mileage.
    The 01 Cobra is the best N/A Cobra that has been produced, except for the 00 Cobra R.

Add a supercharger to it, and it will smoke a stock 03. I wish I had never gotten rid of that car. It was sweet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information