Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

2002 Camaro SS top end

I live in New Jersey which is the most densely populated state in the country and we have no place to drive with 9 million people in a 3 million person state. I have no place to run top end, there is traffic 24/7/365. So I took a drive to PA and found Rt.84 has miles of smooth pavement with nobody ont the road. Well I opened it up and got to 135 mph before I backed off ( It was dusk, too many deer in PA ) but I did not look at the tach.
    With the mods I have listed below and 3.42 gears what should I be able to do in a good 5th gear run ?
    I am going to do another run in the afternoon to avoid the deer and other critters. I think I should be able to bury the 155 speedo but what about after that.

Although I don't recommend doing this on a public road,,,,the factory road test back in the day reached the top speed of these cars in 5th gear and it was right around 155 or so,,,,but it takes a long time to get there, meaning you'll cover more distance than you think you will to get up that fast.

After that they run out of steam, and don't make enough power to overcome the aerodynamic forces, so 6th gear does nothing. Of course if you are heavily modded and making some power and/or have a rear gear change that's a different story.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I forgot to check the signature box for my mods. I figure I have about 345 rwhp. I have a nice stretch of highway picked out about 4 miles long.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

I've gone 163 with an A4 and 2.73s, I don't condone it, but I've done it... I'm sure you could hit 170.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    I've gone 163 with an A4 and 2.73s, I don't condone it, but I've done it... I'm sure you could hit 170.
    I understand what you are saying about the law. I also do not think I can do 170, I think the car can do it but when I hit 135 I really noticed my speed and my surroundings and though about what could happen. 135 is fast, I think my limit is maybe 145 max. I respect those racers who can do 340 mph in a top fuel rail and those F-1 nuts who take turns at 175 mph. I may have been able to do 170 when I was 22 but now I am almost 52 and mortality seems to be in the back of your mind as th speed goes up.

When these cars were new they weren't capable of 170,,,just not enough HP to overcome the aerodynamic drag.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

our speedo only does 155?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I would like to have my car modded up someday to the point where I could hit 200 on the Texas mile, at least once. I may be 52 myself by the tine that happens, if it is even possible, but it's a goal

Sent using my telèfono

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I live in New Jersey which is the most densely populated state in the country and we have no place to drive with 9 million people in a 3 million person state. I have no place to run top end, there is traffic 24/7/365. So I took a drive to PA and found Rt.84 has miles of smooth pavement with nobody ont the road. Well I opened it up and got to 135 mph before I backed off ( It was dusk, too many deer in PA ) but I did not look at the tach.
    With the mods I have listed below and 3.42 gears what should I be able to do in a good 5th gear run ?
    I am going to do another run in the afternoon to avoid the deer and other critters. I think I should be able to bury the 155 speedo but what about after that.
    I think car and driver had the '99 ss vert listed at 162mph top speed if I remember right. I had the needle on my old z28 pegged once and the rpms kept rising but ran out of road before the tach stopped. Only have had my new one to 120 once, don't see a point to pushing over 100 on the street any more road are too shitty around here for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I would like to have my car modded up someday to the point where I could hit 200 on the Texas mile, at least once. I may be 52 myself by the tine that happens, if it is even possible, but it's a goal

Sent using my telèfono
    That might be a fun event to participate in. They do that up in Nevada too.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

i remember when the lt 1 camaro came out and our local police dept had a few patrolling the freeways here. I spoke to one of the officers who had one and he swears the cars were certified by GM to do 160 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    i remember when the lt 1 camaro came out and our local police dept had a few patrolling the freeways here. I spoke to one of the officers who had one and he swears the cars were certified by GM to do 160 mph.
    Yep, now a police package would have had some things done to it to allow high speed pursuits. Namely they have those expensive Goodyear high speed rated tires on it so the factory probably tweaks the speed limiter in the car, and they also get other neat things like a certified speedometers, better cooling features, sometimes different brakes or brake pads, and a host of other things.

I've seen several retired 9C1 police package 4th gens that are in the hands of the general public,,,,,pretty neat piece in it's own right.

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    our speedo only does 155?
    Garmin GPS

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    When these cars were new they weren't capable of 170,,,just not enough HP to overcome the aerodynamic drag.
    You're right. When my car was stock it struggled to hit 140 at a fast rate. After bolt-ons she flew up there. OP seems to have Full Bolt-ons as well, I think he could if he really really wanted to.

You're right. When my car was stock it struggled to hit 140 at a fast rate. After bolt-ons she flew up there. OP seems to have Full Bolt-ons as well, I think he could if he really really wanted to.
    Okay, I figured we were on the same page. When I answered the question the first time, I was referring to a stock vehicle not knowing what's been done to the car.

Once modified,,,all bets are off

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'd be afraid to peg my car out. I was in a Mustang convertible once as a passenger and when they hit around 130 I told him to slow down. Was a totally different feel with the top down. I can easily hit 100mph in my car and it's still pulling really hard. I doubt I'd want to see what the limitations are though, even on an empty highway. A blow out at that speed could be fatal. Plus, I really just don't trust drag radials at a speed exceeding 120 or so.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

I'm not a big fan of real high speed either. I think when you get older you start thinking about the things that could happen.

An organized event however with safety crews in the vicinity and cars having to go through a safety check might be alot of fun though.

Black - Silver
    00' Camaro SS - 09' G8 GT

I got mine up to 150 mph. It was a fun one time thing on a deserted road. It took a long time to slow down. Just bear in mind if something jumps in front of you, slamming on the brakes wont help.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Just keep in mind that at 100 mph you are going about 145 feet every second. A lot can happen within 145 feet. Thats about a football field in less than 3 seconds!!!!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Just keep in mind that at 100 mph you are going about 145 feet every second. A lot can happen within 145 feet. Thats about a football field in less than 3 seconds!!!!
    Ok mom, I'll be a good boy. lol

Thread Information